Outdoor Basecamp

Go Back   Outdoor Basecamp Forums > On the Water > General Water Talk

General Water Talk General talk for those that love the water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Barney is on a distinguished road
Default Dunked Digital Camera

Recently, unfortunately, my Kodak HD digital camera was dunked into salt water and immediately the electronics were fried. But I had Samsung waterproof MicroSD card inside, and I didn't even know it was waterproof. So I got all the wonderful pictures saved. Thanks Samsung!

Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Information
Join the #1 Outdoor Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

OutdoorBasecamp.com - Are you looking for like minded people who share your enthusiasm for the outdoors? Maybe you are looking for help for your next trip. We have hundreds of members who are eager to help and to share with you.

Join OutdoorBasecamp.com - Click Here

Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

CozInCowtown is on a distinguished road

Why would you dunk an expensive...........never mind.

Disclaimer:
Do not consume these thoughts or ideas if you have a history of high blood pressure, heart problems, tendency to get your panties in a bunch, mangina issues, no sense of humor, realization that you need to wear a tin foil hat, lick glass, want to cry like a sissy or still live with your mom.
(Coz the Moderator) 2010
CozInCowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

carmen is on a distinguished road

I am guessing it was a water issue, happens to the best of us. I ended up losing a nice watch that way (forgot I had it on). A friend of mine ended up shorting out her cell phone.

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. - Oscar Wilde
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

wvbreamfisherman is on a distinguished road

Got careless one tiome and forgot to take off my cell phone and fire dept. pager when IO went for a quick paddle. Of course this would be the time that I managed to roll the canoe playing around to see how far I could heel it....

I pulled both batteries out as quick as I could and when I got home , rinsed everything out warm clean water, and then distilled water. I then used a hair dryer on low setting and got the bulk of the water out. Left everything overnight in a bag of dry rice and when I put the batteries back in the pager woked perfectly. The cell phone worked fine, except for the screen (this was back in the "dumb phone" ear when the screen was pretty much only for seeing who was calling or seeing what you'd dialed). I was able to use the phone fopr the next few days until I got a replacement.

I imagine a salt water dunking is MUCH tougher to survive.

wvbreamfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Barney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozInCowtown View Post
Why would you dunk an expensive...........never mind.
First of all, I'm not that stupid. Second, a moron, friend of mine, did that by accident because A) it was not his camera, B) he is a moron. He even tried to joke about it later, telling it like a funny trip story. I said, watch it man, unless you're willing to spit up the money to buy me a new one.

Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #6

Gondor is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss. I know how it can be because it has also happened to me a few years ago. But salt water and electronics just don't go hand in hand, unless you have a device that is somewhat or fully waterproof or use a water resistant or waterproof container.

Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

campclose is on a distinguished road

Wow - If I did that to a friends camera I would have paid to replace it. You need new friends! It stinks though that you lost your camera. Cool you still have your pics though. I'd rather have my camera though to be honest - those buggers are expensive.

campclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

Marshmallow is on a distinguished road

I did the same thing at the beach a few years ago. I had my Kodak digital camera around my neck, carefully putting it there because I was afraid I might drop it. I was doing fine until a larger than usual wave caught me off my guard. Down I went, camera and all.

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #9

Boboque is on a distinguished road

I haven't yet, crossing fingers", done anything like this. I have however, dropped my cell phone on concrete many, many times and I have to say it is one of the most durable little phones I've ever had. It has a few scratches on the screen but that's it. I am saving up to buy a "toughbook" laptop so I can stop worrying about dropping it. The dude from my local telephone company had one and it was awesome! He told me he had dropped it many times without consequence.

As far as water, knowing how I drop things easily, I don't carry my electronics anywhere near water unless they are sealed inside a water proof bag or case. I have a bad case of "dropitits" my wife tells me and I have to agree.

Boboque is offline   Reply With Quote