Outdoor Basecamp

Go Back   Outdoor Basecamp Forums > Fishing > General Fishing

General Fishing General Fishing Chatter.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Marlowe
  • 1 Post By ppine
  • 1 Post By briansnat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

cabinfever is on a distinguished road
Default Best fishing on the East Coast?

I know more about Maine and New Hampshire (and a few in Mass.), but I'm sure there is great fishing all down the East Coast. Tell us about your favorite spot. I'd like to pick one to do a fishing vacation next year, so I can go someplace different.

cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Information
Join the #1 Outdoor Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

OutdoorBasecamp.com - Are you looking for like minded people who share your enthusiasm for the outdoors? Maybe you are looking for help for your next trip. We have hundreds of members who are eager to help and to share with you.

Join OutdoorBasecamp.com - Click Here

Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Marlowe is on a distinguished road

Not technically on the east coast but my favorite is Charlotte Harbor on the west coast of Florida. About half way between Fort Myers and Tampa, it has some kind of good fishing almost year round. At the confluence of the Peace and Myakka rivers, there's a big estuary system. And via Boca Grande Pass there is easy access to the Gulf of Mexico for offshore action.

jason and cabinfever like this.
Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Forester

ppine is on a distinguished road

I get pictures of huge rockfish from old friends on Chesapeake Bay. Billfish tournaments at Ocean City, MD. Florida is probably the real answer, especially the Keys.

cabinfever likes this.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

ChadTower is on a distinguished road

I've heard really good things about surf fishing off NC.

ChadTower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Platnium Member

briansnat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to briansnat Send a message via Yahoo to briansnat Send a message via Skype™ to briansnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadTower View Post
I've heard really good things about surf fishing off NC.
My folks had a place on the Outer Banks for many years and actually lived there for about 10 years after they retired. I was surprised by how little there was in the surf much of the year. Every time I was down there it seemed all they were catching were spot and the occasional drum. Maybe is was just where they lived, but the only thing I ever caught on the OBX was spot, and some small, schoolie stripers but they only allow two of those per person.

Living in NJ it seems there is something going on in the surf or bays most of the year. About the only months that aren't great are Jan thru March and even then are winter flounder, cod, whiting and ling.

Places such as Island Beach State Park (very scenic) and Sandy Hook are famous for their surf fishing. Raritan Bay is chock full of stripers, weakfish, bluefish and fluke in season. The jettys and inlets are great for blackfish and stripers. The offshore wrecks hold cod and other deep water species.

Marlin, tuna, swordfish shark and other big gamefish are caught off the coast and are just a charter boat ride away.

Though NJ may not be the first state that comes to to the mind of many out of staters when it comes to fishing, it is a really good place for saltwater fishing.

And the freshwater fishing is nothing to sneeze at. Round Valley and Merrill Creek reservoirs are the southermost habitat of lake trout in North America. Many streams and lakes are generously stocked with trout every spring and fall and some streams have naturally reproducing populations of trout. Muskie are available in the Delaware River, and several lakes and most lakes and rivers rivers hold good populations of pike, bass (smallie and largemouth),and channel cats. There are a few lakes known for their walleye fishing and a few more have good populations of hybrid stripe bass. And one lake has an excellent landlocked salmon fishery.

cabinfever likes this.
“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” - Henry David Thoreau

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

"Keep not standing fixed and rooted, briskly venture, briskly roam" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

Last edited by briansnat; 10-12-2013 at 07:41 AM.
briansnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

cabinfever is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I would have thought the Outer Banks would be better, but maybe it depends on where you're at and what time of year you go? New Jersey sounds like it has a lot of great fishing and you're right - I never would have thought of it.

cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #7

Pathfinder1 is on a distinguished road

Hi...

SIL and Co. usually have good striper fishing on the Jersey shore.

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness." Seneca
Pathfinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Platnium Member

briansnat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to briansnat Send a message via Yahoo to briansnat Send a message via Skype™ to briansnat

Here is last week's NJ saltwater fishing report. It shows the sort of action to be found in NJ waters.

https://www.app.com/article/20131018...S06/310180029/

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” - Henry David Thoreau

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

"Keep not standing fixed and rooted, briskly venture, briskly roam" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"
briansnat is offline   Reply With Quote