The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

More questions then I can keep up with. It would be good to get young people more involved in outdoor persuits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jason

fear no beer
Hope you all have a safe and most joyous Easter season The weather is wonderful here so we are really enjoying it. Hope yall are too. Happy Easter.
Thank you. Same to you and everyone else. Get to test out my new kilt tomorrow. Nice and cool today, which is good as lots of yard work and don't want to be sweating harder then Charlie Sheen on a pile of hookers.

jason

fear no beer
Well, we had two roosters today ready to go. A bit smaller then I was hoping for, but they were causing issues with the other 4 we are raising for food. Going to try and see how the spoiler tag works out.

jason

fear no beer
good luck with em Jason I know nothing bout chickens and hope to maybe learn a bit from your experience
Chickens haven't been bad so far. The egg layers we have are kinda fun. They are used to me coming into their coop and I have gotten them to eat from my hand. You can kinda see some personalities in them too.

Chickens so far seem better then ducks, which we will have to get down to about 6 or 7 from the 15 we currently have. Most likely we will keep 6 female ducks and one drake. We had to buy straight run, which means they were unsexed. So we wanted to make sure we had a good chance to get enough females for eggs.

We just got some turkeys too.

The wife has started breeding the rabbits. We have three females and one male. Right now she is breeding one female, letting her have the litter, waiting for the littler to get big enough to sell, then breeding the next. Not going to get rich that way by any means, but hopefully we can cover some of the food costs for them.

Roybrew

Looks like your starting a poultry farm jason. Best way I like chicken is fried with biscuits and greens.

We had feathery critters on the farm when I was growing up. We did enjoy them. We had a pole cat getting in the chicken coup once. My brother set some metal traps around and we caught him one night. We heard the racket from the house, so I asked my brother what he was going to do now. I didn't want to get near that loaded skunk. He took the 12 gage and went out the door. I heard 2 or 3 shots, so I knew that was the end of it, ha. Everytime it rained that summer you could smell where he obliterated that thing.

Cappy

My grand Pa raised rabbits and had quite a business going. I dont remember all the details as I was young, but I remember the Rabbit house. Long and in it was rabbit cages on both sides. The cages were raised and under them was tin angled down to the center of the house with gutters attached to the inner legs. The rabbit poop would roll down the tin and into the gutters aided with a water hose it was checked ad rinsed daily. The poop would then be pushed out of the house down the gutters into some collecting tubs and then carried to a composting bin. He kept a stud book and careful control sold lots of rabbits and compost by the sack. We always had a couple rabbits a week and grew amazing gardens when I was a kid. Folks would come from miles away to buy his "Fertilizer"

jason

fear no beer
Looks like your starting a poultry farm jason. Best way I like chicken is fried with biscuits and greens.

We had feathery critters on the farm when I was growing up. We did enjoy them. We had a pole cat getting in the chicken coup once. My brother set some metal traps around and we caught him one night. We heard the racket from the house, so I asked my brother what he was going to do now. I didn't want to get near that loaded skunk. He took the 12 gage and went out the door. I heard 2 or 3 shots, so I knew that was the end of it, ha. Everytime it rained that summer you could smell where he obliterated that thing.

It seems like it some days. I need to keep my wife away from Rural King and Tractor Supply. Sadly the wife has learned a glass of whiskey or two and she can talk me into more birds.

We have been lucky so far. We did loose some to a dog, but I added more fencing. Haven't had any issues yet. The neighbors lost a duck last year. Never found the body, or a mess. So something dragged it away. I have heard coyotes fairly close at night. Neighbors say they saw two in their front yard.

jason

fear no beer
My grand Pa raised rabbits and had quite a business going. I dont remember all the details as I was young, but I remember the Rabbit house. Long and in it was rabbit cages on both sides. The cages were raised and under them was tin angled down to the center of the house with gutters attached to the inner legs. The rabbit poop would roll down the tin and into the gutters aided with a water hose it was checked ad rinsed daily. The poop would then be pushed out of the house down the gutters into some collecting tubs and then carried to a composting bin. He kept a stud book and careful control sold lots of rabbits and compost by the sack. We always had a couple rabbits a week and grew amazing gardens when I was a kid. Folks would come from miles away to buy his "Fertilizer"
Yup, I use their poop in the garden. You can use it fresh without having to let it sit like chicken poop. We don't have nothing that big here.

Cappy

Yea we have coyotes here too neighbor has bagged a few in the field behind his house this spring. Guy down the street has cages/coops on 4 ft legs in his yard he keeps a few chickens, rabbits, and quail along with some ducks in a fenced in pen its kinda like his personal grocery store.

Cappy

The tin at an angle under the cages was a neat invention ad really makes it easier thought I'd mention to to ya. If I ever do raised pens I will definitely do that.

Cappy

That front came through yesterday droping several inches of rain as it passed so I am waiting for things to dry up maybe late today maybe tomorrow. I gave it some thought and felt ashamed so I took some time to answer some of the newbe posts. Felt better doing it , it was bothering me. I was ashamed at my self for looking down on the vague poorly asked questions Hope the Lord forgives me.

Roybrew

My pretty new (to me) boat has problems. I thought I'd be on the lake with the wind blowing through my hair, catching crappie but..... #1 piston is broken. Maybe due to carbon build up with age, and or clogged carb jet? Maybe the previous owner knew it was going or not. I got the block back from machine shop day before last, and waiting on parts to rebuild it. Maybe week after next I'll be hitting the lake.

But it hasn't stopped me from hitting the river. My nephew was home on leave last week, so I called in sick and we hit the river. His half brother came with us, and we had great time.

Roybrew

We enjoy the river. Just drift along and fish.

Oh you want to hear a stupid stunt? When I was doing a compression check on the outboard, before I disassembled it, I used the jumper cables to jump the starter while I held the compression gage in the spark plug hole. Well, I had just recently pulled both carbs off. Yep gas spilled all over the lower cover, you guessed it. When it sparked, and went pooof! I started blowing on it, and waving my hands at it like an idiot. Like that was going to help it do anything but burn faster. It maybe didn't last a second or two, and I came to my senses and grabbed the fire extinguisher I keep near in the basement. I've swept around that fire extinguisher for the past 16 years, always hoping I never needed it, and wondering if it would work if I did. It worked great. Didn't hurt a thing on the motor.

We just got back from movie theater, I've had to much sugar. Nice evening out I think I'll set up fire pit in back. Plenty of limbs fell from storm the other day.

Cappy

Just finished mucking out the garden boxes. Got stuff piled in da ole fire pit. Have a few pallets to wack up so next week the garden trash will be dried up enough to splash with fuel and set ablaze after that burns down I'll use the pallet wood to finish up the scraps and make a nice lil friendly fire.

What did yall see at da movies I am a big ole sci fi geek my self

Roybrew

Avengers Endgame. Of course even tho Stan Lee has passed, he still had a cameo in it.

Burned all the brush laying around, but I didn't have anything to cook over the fire. Maybe next week.