Add your Idea ---> Camp Hacks <---

Northern Dancer

I have thought about and seen various"signs" that people use to help friends find their sites. In the end I just notify invite the good and reliable friends of our anticipated location and (and, occasionally, provide detailed directions) then keep a close watch for their vehicle if they have said that they will/might camp.

Keeping the camp off the well traveled routes does not seem to keep folks from finding us (especially, under/un-prepared people that think they need to be rescued).

Enjoy!
-----> I remember once watching this single, very professional paddler, in a gorgeous green canoe and suddenly realizing he was coming toward my campsite. As he got closer I recognized the tan uniform and knew instantly he was a warden. I immediately pulled out my permit and I.D. He was almost on shore when he called my name. What? Oh, ya, I remembered I logged a float plan and provided all the information necessary including the canoe I was using and the campsites, and on what days. He had a message for me. Call home.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Now that Santa has come and gone; its sale time and therefor time to look for the items that Santa might have missed (and, potentially, acquire them at a discount...).

It also might be about time to think about, starting to consider, getting around to, planning on, beginning; inventory and replacement/repair/resupply of the missing/damaged/worn & past the best by date items in the camping gear & supplies, too. (... maybe?)

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

Now that Santa has come and gone; its sale time and therefor time to look for the items that Santa might have missed (and, potentially, acquire them at a discount...).

It also might be about time to think about, starting to consider, getting around to, planning on, beginning; inventory and replacement/repair/resupply of the missing/damaged/worn & past the best by date items in the camping gear & supplies, too. (... maybe?)

Enjoy!
-----> We think alike Joe. I do an inventory and decide what to pass along, plan for the trips and book the same, and try to come up with a new menu plan that remains consistent throughout the season. I'm I buying anything? Well, I'm toying with the idea of a smaller tent for winter excursions. There is one with a jack on sale for 30 bucks. I might get a new cot this year. The one I bought two years ago has an incline for a pillow. Don't like it. I want a flat surface. I don't need anything else except for some sliding poles. The ones I have are steel and rusty - I like the lighter aluminum kind.

Northern Dancer

I could not have said it so distinctly as illustrated.
I crumple the bag gently.
I cut one side to put in the ingredients.
Walla - you have a quick meal.
In the middle of nowhere, it tastes mighty fine.

Northern Dancer

WARMER PACKS HAVE IMPROVED CONSIDERABLY
You can get warmer packs that last 7, 8, 10, 12, and 18 hours.
The warmers are designed for hands, feet, and body.
These are particularly good for winter camping and outdoor winter activities.
They sure beat the ol' hot rocks, hot water bottles,
and other things I used to keep my sleeping bag warm.
Make sure you read the labels and follow the instructions carefully.

:Wave: NOTE
I do not endorse any specific product and neither does Outdoor Basecamp. I recommend you do your research before purchasing any products illustrated. Remember always, buy on sale when you can.

Roybrew

I've always had a problem with my chair legs sinking in soft ground. IMG_20230202_142815970_HDR.jpgIMG_20230202_143515541_HDR.jpg working on ideas.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

That's an ingenious idea Roybrew. Why didn't I think of that?

I had the same problem too...especially in the snow. So I purchased this Woods terra powerlite chair a few years back. It boasts a snow/sand platform. It also comes with a travel bag.

Roybrew

Thanks, I need to figure out a way of keeping the feet attached, after I refine how to make them. Then I'm going to do like Happy Joe, and make a head board for my cot.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

Thanks, I need to figure out a way of keeping the feet attached, after I refine how to make them. Then I'm going to do like Happy Joe, and make a head board for my cot.
Roy

The Great Outdoors
=====> Another fantastic idea. Something with a hook for a light, or small bookshelf or... The possibilities are endless and you have the imagination to create it all. Thanks for the motivation; you come up with such great ideas.

Northern Dancer

IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE THE SAME
Do you notice when you purchase a sleeping bag or a tent or something that "slips"

into a bag, it doesn't seem to fit after you have taken it out?
That's because most manufacturers use the bag as a "packaging device" and not a "carrying device".
When it pours down and you are preparing to pack up the campsite those bags? Nothing seems to fit - right?

My idea is simple.
I try putting the item back into the bag it came in under normal conditions - usually on my basement floor.

If I have any trouble with it - even the slightest irritation the bag is whisked away and replaced immediately with a bag that fits.
It is as simple as that.
I want you to know that I have personally saved my mental health and my good disposition by doing the same.

MANUFACTURERS
We pay for the product so do us right; give us bags that fit.

Oh, and another thing -----> try spending some of the profit on creating a sleeping bag zipper
that does not get stuck - ever!

I'm I right Camp Fans?

Roybrew

You go Man!

I was able to pack my big Ozark Trail tent back in it's original bag for 6 years. I would take my time when I took it down, fold it 4 times, lay the poles and fly in the center and start rolling it up. It took a little work, but I could do it. The bag finally gave up. We still use it but it's more of a fair weather tent any more.

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
I have pretty much stopped trying to put equipment back in the bag it came in. I stuff sleeping bags, but not a lot of other thing.s

I have one good hack for campers in colder weather. If you rely on a fire and don't have a hot tent in the evening, bring the frame from a free standing canopy. Hang some canvas vertically from the frame to block the wind and reflect heat from your fire. One side usually works. Two sides can work but sometimes the wind swirls around somewhat making it a little smoky.

Roybrew

Simple and brilliant. This will work good with the sugar sand we have here. Thanks.
I'm going to get back to working on that when I get this cabinet done, been working on that thing to long now I'm starting to get burned out with it.

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

I have pretty much stopped trying to put equipment back in the bag it came in. I stuff sleeping bags, but not a lot of other thing.s

I have one good hack for campers in colder weather. If you rely on a fire and don't have a hot tent in the evening, bring the frame from a free standing canopy. Hang some canvas vertically from the frame to block the wind and reflect heat from your fire. One side usually works. Two sides can work but sometimes the wind swirls around somewhat making it a little smoky.
I've noticed that a pop up awning does hold heat a little, even without a side on it. I need to practice with tarp setups.

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

This is surprisingly true. Heat goes up and if it is stopped it comes back down. I've used a fire under a tarp and it has worked. You need to keep the fire small and burning with no cinders flying up as possible, but it does work. It works a lot better if the wind is down to minimal.

Speaking of winds - a major storm is headed our way beginning early tomorrow evening into the next day.

Northern Dancer

"Roybrew" reminded me [the chair blocks he used] that I take a level to check if my bed/cot is slanting.
If it's slanting I use a 12-inch square board that I place under the legs to balance it out.
I also use them for leveling a picnic table - this is especially helpful if I have a stove.

ppine

Forester
If I use an overhead canopy the fire cannot draw and there is smoke all over the place. I like to reflect the heat from the vertical side panels.

Roybrew

Don't know if this will work?IMG_20230304_080850821_HDR.jpg I don't know if glue would hold the flat piece of wood to the dowl. I can drill a small hole thru chair leg and run a piece of wire thru to hold the feet on, I guess?IMG_20230303_151930676_HDR.jpg I measured the angle to cut my dowel. IMG_20230303_154721600_HDR.jpgIMG_20230303_154556282_HDR.jpg I guess all I can do is try. I'll post a follow up, pass or fail.
Roy

The Great Outdoors