How to identify a COPPERHEAD

Daniel

lot of copperheads where I live :00: ill take a look at northern copperheads and point out their most identifying characteristics. Copperheads are born alive and with the exception of the tail tip, they are colored and patterned the same as adults.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldsarge

Just curious...what do mean by "born alive"? Never heard it put that way before.

Roybrew

I never heard of them being born either. I see lots of snakes along the rivers and lakes in east tn. and most people claim they are copperheads. I have never gotten close to one in the wild, as far as I know. My brother sent me a picture of one that crossed the trail in front of him, and it definitely had the viper, arrow, shaped head.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think what Daniel means is that mama squeezes the babies out as opposed to laying eggs that hatch. We have a water snake up here in Northern Indiana that does the same and I had the pleasure to watch doing this just a few weeks ago. We don't have many copperheads, but the occasional one crops up. I ran over one in my driveway about ten years ago, totally by accident. It made some very nice hat bands.

oldsarge

Okay, that's what I thought at first. I didn't know that some snake could lay eggs. So the the whole born live thing threw me off. I never paid much attention to how snakes came about, just concerned about the final product that may be dangerous.

oldsarge

I sure miss the guy who started this post I really liked new anderthal and enjoyed his stuff
What ever happened to him? I bought a really nice set of bamboo hiking staffs from him a few years ago. He always had good a good point to post.

Cappy

Prolly like many others drifted off lost interest and spends time facebooking or what ever the new thing is.

RachelM

Hi,

New here and I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm what kind of snakes these are? I live in Tennessee and my neighborhood is having a major snake problem and I'm beginning to be scared for my pups.

Definitely inexperienced with snakes so I need some help.

Are these copperheads?

Attachments

Roybrew

I agree with Wildnfree, I would have to see the head. I live in east tn and I avoid snakes. I do know that I've accidentally killed some corn snakes cause I thought they were coperheads. Mother-in-law called us one day, and told us that there was a snake on the counter behind her microwave. Sure enough it was there when we arrived. I couldn't see its head, so I wasn't sure if it was a copperhead or corn snake. I took a pair of long handled loppers and took a shot at where I thought it's head was. That was mess, but I think it was a corn snake. We finally built on an addition and moved her out of that shack she lived in. Every day I wonder if we screwed up.