The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

mid 90's for the weekend with the humidity low for us at around 50% Got the new garden box built now to get the old one out and put it in. Then it's gonna be a trip to lowes and maybe a celebratory fire and possible bbq this weekend we are nearing the big spring clean up push in preparation to coasting through the summer.

Roybrew

Wow 50% is low for your area @Cappy. It hit 90° and 70% humidity today. We drove to Sycamore Shoals historic area and took a walk near the Watauga River, at the site of Fort Watauga. This place was a big deal during the revolutionary war. The soldiers crossed the river here and mustered at the fort before going on to Kings mtn in North Carolina. I guess they needed to make muster for the journey.....

This is about 55 miles from home. I used to drive up here every other Sunday morning for trout fishing. It's a cold and clean river.

I'm off from work for next 4 nights! This is great, I'll sleep like a normal human being.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jason

fear no beer
Well yesterday was a fun day. Hot as could be. We processed 8 meat chickens, 3 roosters that we could not re-home and then the ducks. Seven ducks in total. All I will say is no more ducks. We waited the 12.5 weeks like everyone said. Did the soap in the 150 degree water to pull the first feathers and then the water and wax and ice bath to get the rest. And it was still a pita. I can see why some said to just skin them. But it is over, the freezer is full again. Today I have to finish the turkey run so I can move them out of the garage.

Roybrew

I've never had duck. Is it good? Wife fixed a goose once, we weren't to impressed. She thought maybe she didn't fix it right.
chicken would sure be good over this fire. Burning oak, black ash and apple wood.

Cappy

Nice fire pit ya got there man looks sturdy enough to last a while. My wife makes a smoked duck gumbo that will curl ya toes its so good

jason

fear no beer
I've never had duck. Is it good? Wife fixed a goose once, we weren't to impressed. She thought maybe she didn't fix it right. chicken would sure be good over this fire. Burning oak, black ash and apple wood.

Its been a long time since I have had duck. It is typically out of my budget. But the wife wanted duck eggs, and they only sold ducks in straight run so we bought extra in case we had a lot of males.

Have you cooked over that yet? Maybe a nice hand crank rotisserie?

Grandpa

My family prefers all the upland birds to duck. We have several species of grouse, partridge, and pheasant all in the immediate area and we prefer all of them to duck. Grandma can whip up a pretty good duck stew but the uplands are still better.

Cappy

I enjoy roasting burgers steaks pork etc on the fire pit its how we usta cook while camping. I build a lil fire in one corner and put a grill on the oposite corner once the fire has made a nice bed of coals I shovel as needed coals from the fire under the grill. It is the way I was taught to camp fire cook. You can regulate the heat under you grill that way I have fried fish in the black iron pot that way etc.

Roybrew

We love cooking over the metal fire pit, but you can't add wood or coals with out lifting the grate.

Dad used to hunt grouse and other birds when we lived in Michigan, but I was so young, and so long ago I can't remember how it tasted.

Cappy

I know what ya mean bout having to move the grate to tend the fire Thats why when I built my ole fire pit I figured for the grates to only be over one corner. That way you have access to the fire. When in the woods camping we usta set up our cook grate a couple feet from our camp fire and transfer over coals as needed. The home fire pit I so as stated and only put grates over a corner.https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tvH3JiiTesc/VHDAVUv1q1I/AAAAAAAAFzA/pUW655ojb_s/s1600/IMG_4332.JPG

Roybrew

I've got about 4 hours on this motor so far. I haven't heard anything knocking or banging, so maybe I got all the pieces parts put together right.

Anybody camping? Maybe good stories or something?

jason

fear no beer
I've got about 4 hours on this motor so far. I haven't heard anything knocking or banging, so maybe I got all the pieces parts put together right.

That is great. I guess you didn't have any left over parts either.

Haven't been camping, didn't even get out for the for the free fishing weekend last week. But for a story, the entomologist at work was out in the kayak this week when a gator attacked the kayak with her in it. Thankfully she is safe, but the kayak has holes from the bites.

Cooked one of the ducks last night. The wife marinaded it for most of the day then cooked it in the oven. Everyone enjoyed it except for my daughter.

Cappy

It just came a real turd floater. Not sure if yall use that expression but south Louisiana got pounded 4 tornadoes spotted we had prolly 50+mph winds and it just moved east of us. Just went out to look around ad all seems ok. The garden fared well cept the peppers laid down once it dries some we will try to tie em up. VEry glad we did not hit our local camp ground cause the tornadoes p0assed there and the power is out cording to the news. Alls well here in our lil corner and for once I am glad we did not head out as planned.

Grandpa

Great job there. Nice boat too. No camping out here. We are currently road tripping. Tonight in Branson Missouri. Took us a week to get here and it'll take a week to get home. Still massive snow in the Colorado passes. We are going into the Frank Church in July......if we can get over the back country passes.

jason

fear no beer
So I got cut tonight. Not enough rain to get the mosquitoes going. But while sitting on the back porch, I came across this which made me think of Cappy. I am willing to be he saw more then a few. Maybe even has some good stories about them.

Cappy

Today I picked up stuff and cut the front yard. the dew dried early so I got started and finished for noon now its very hot so I took a nice long lunch break. Fixing to pick up stiff in the back and cut it. I took my shorts off and put on a pair of bibs. Some of our citrus have 2 inch thorns and the back is where other thorny things live. Cutting usually draws blood as I accidentally get too close to the lemon tree or something. The wife thinks I have sexy legs no use scratching em up.:beer3:

jason

fear no beer
Work was cancelled monday night. So I got to visit the ER instead. Was working in the kitchen and didn't see the ceramic bowl the dog knocked off the counter and ended up a nice cut on the inside of my foot. Got six stitches. Not allowed to get it wet for a week either. So no pool time, but we are sitting at about 80% chance of rain most of the week, and drops to 40% next week.

Still have to finish the turkey run, but ran out of chicken wire.

Roybrew

Ooh yes sorry about the foot also. I hope your still able to get around alright.