The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Sitting on porch this morning drinking my cup of mud, and listening to the sound of a beagle baying down in the valley. The birds are singing their heads off. The peonies have pushed up and are starting to unroll their leaves. Spring has sprung.

jason

fear no beer
Well, I actually got to spray last night for work, only for my wife to call up and said she is taking our son to the ER. He may have broke his finger, she was refereed to children's hospital for further testing as they couldn't tell. So this morning she is heading into the city.

Roybrew

Oh no. That sucks. I remember someone at home always getting hurt, and getting rushed to ER. I don't know how my parents didn't lose their minds from raising 7 kids.

Cappy

Sorry to hear bout the finger I am sure it will be ok and glad you back to skeeter patrol no sign of our guy yet and I gotta say I am beginning to miss him.

jason

fear no beer
7 kids?! Ouch. I guess we should be thankful that it is 80% our one kid who keeps getting hurt. Kid has no fear.

He has a buckle fracture and due to his behavioral issues they put it in a cast. Looks like for 3 weeks he will have a club to hit is sister and brother. ;)

Roybrew

I had to look up buckle fracture. Interesting. I don't know why they don't do more hard casts. Maybe better then breaking the bone? Wow that still sucks tho. You can draw pictures and stuff on his cast. We always enjoyed that. I was in 2nd grade when I fractured my wrist, fell off top of slide, I was a stupid kid, but the day after I was out riding my bike doing more stupid stuff. Dad kept the car idling in the driveway all the time. Oldest brother always busted up from playing ball. 2nd oldest about the same. 3rd brother was always getting stitches. One time he and 4th brother were climbing a tree and branch broke. #3 brother had to have his cheek stitched back on. Even my older sister had her accidents. I guess me and my younger sister were the ones that didn't frequent the ER very often. Well I did turn my arm into a flaming shish cabob one day. Boy was that a stupid stunt. The hospital staff knew us very well.

Cappy

Well life goes on in our world. The only place we have been in the last 2 weeks is the post office to pay bills. We are lucky our church streams Sunday service on line and we play it o tv and enjoy it its like an intimate experience with the pastor and worship team. If you would like to attend its Healing Place church in Baton Rouge LA. look us up and you can attend with us face book or youtube. Staying home means for us staying in our yard. Like most of you we have a yard full of camping, country outdoorsy things. Life goes on for us and we are well......so far. Hope you and yours are too.

Roybrew

I would've never believed that we would be live streaming church service back in the early 80s. I don't quite get enough data to do that stuff. That would really be something on a huge TV.

Finished cutting up all of the beech tree wood and got it stacked. Pulled boat out and let it run with water muffs on. Little cool today. No sun shine, so I stoked up the wood stove in the basement, and started cutting out my canoe station forms.
I had to iron my pattern page flat that came with the book.

Cappy

If you can watch you tube you can stream our church on what ever device ya watch on we sue a Roku device and play you tube on tv but you can see it where ever you see you tube videos. It was nice to be able to do this today and I really enjoyed the message I miss going to church cause it is our fun day. 1 hour drive to get there and we take our time coming home and pick up supplies do some shopping pass by the flea market and spend the day working our way home from town plenty places to eat on the way and often we spend all day out and about. I miss that.

Roybrew

Trying to make the best of my days off.
cut the last tree down yesterday. Started to rain so I cleared it from the road, and went to working on my canoe.
getting my forms in place, squared and vertical I hope.
had a slight flat spot on this one, so I glued in a patch. Got to sand it down and reshape.

Had to run down to basement last night, so just after opening the door and flipping on the light, I thought I saw something small run across the bottom step. It was so fast and I still wonder if it wasn't a shadow or something? I'm afraid it was a [emoji242]. Last thing I need is a varmit chewing into my camping stuff!
Somebody better get off their furry hind ends and do their job.

Cappy

Move kitty's food and water bowls to the basement litter box too even if the kitty is lazy the wmell of it will keep the mouses away

Roybrew

Ha yeh there was one time a couple of years back, I told my wife I was allergic to her cat. She said that she hated it for me, and not to make her choose. Ha. Got some Decon and strategically placed it in basement.

We took the boat out yesterday since in finally quit raining
we stopped on a few islands to explore for old home sites, that were there before the lake was dammed in the 40s.
several foundations of houses and a business of some sort. We found several old pieces of pottery and bottles.

There was several nice places for camping on these islands. Unfortunately some people have left lots of garbage. That's a shame.

Going back to work Monday till? I've enjoyed this week off, and I tried to make the best of it.

You all stay safe and healthy.

jason

fear no beer
Guess my brother took pitty on me. I have been hand tilling the garden, and when he came over to drop the trailer back off for me to store he offered me his tiller. It is electric but he said it works good. So I guess this weekend I will be doing that along with processing some roosters. In my venture yesterday I went to home depot and got the stuff to build a big saw horse to hang the cones one. Something similar to the picture posted which gave me the inspiration.

Attachments

Cappy

Please splain the use of the cones to me I aint familiar with them and have several theories but they dont seem right. What do they do for you?

jason

fear no beer
Please splain the use of the cones to me I aint familiar with them and have several theories but they dont seem right. What do they do for you?
The theory is when the chicken is put in upside down it puts the chicken into a trance / sleep state. You then very carefully cut the main artery without hitting the wind pipe. This is how they say is the humane way to do it rather then just cutting the head off. The cone also keeps the birds still if their muscles start twitching.

Cappy

Ah makes sence we had a v shaped board about that height for chickens and rabbits pass the head into the notch and pull down. It seemed pretty humane course the chickens did flop some after neck broke

Roybrew

That's interesting. Didn't know that. We always whopped their heads off. I just got up, and I'd love to have some fried chicken now. Yum chicken and waffles! How'd chicken and waffles ever come about? I didn't hear anything of it in the 60s and 70s till just the past couple of years.

Cappy

Chicken and waffles neva got popular down here we have enough sinfully fattning foods with out it. When ya order fried chicken from almost every corner gas station it comes with several soft buns or rolls. They usually get steamed in the chicken box on the way home and are soft and wonderful. Most folks split em in half and fill them with chicken skin and crunchies and such and make lil chicken sliders. I'll stack those against any chicken sandwich aanywheres.

Cappy

Thinking back I remember a phase where folk took to drizzling honey on their chicken. Chicken joints included honey packs with their orders.

Cappy

Now that the weather warms and we approach the first official hot day 90F Peggy and I are moving into our patio cooking stage. I set up our lil 2 burner propane stove as well as one of our bigger cooking burner on the patio. Think of it as a 3 burner stove 1 big and 2 smaller burners. When cooking beens and such we cook them out on the patio. We have a small very insulated house and just a pot of beans simmering can heat the whole place. So we cook out side the patio is deep shade and breezy. Not to mention our big water cool out door fan. We really enjoy out door cooking easy on the AC fun relaxing. Kinda like camping but not.