1Lb bottle refills

Roybrew

I purchased this hose thingy to refill my 1LB propane bottles.IMG_20210913_184333128~2.jpg I hooked it up and it filled the empty bottle very little. The big propane can was below half full, but I thought it should've done better then that. So I looked it up on YouTube. The feller on there said to put the empty bottles in the freezer for an hour, and to place the big can in the sun. I'm a little squeemish about putting those things in the freezer. They should be fine and stable, but what if? Blewey!! Blow my Eggo's and box pizzas to smirterinies. Not to mention the fridge. My wife would beat me.

Oh I got to tell you a story. A true story about the death of a refrigerator. There was a married couple that worked where I did. Both of them were very knowledgeable about pistols. I'll call them Buck and Donna. Well, my wife inherited a couple of antique pistols and we were curious about any information on them. So we went to visit Buck and Donna. They had a large collection of antique and newer pistols. My wife gave Buck the box that the pistols were in so he could examine them. While he was looking them over I made a comment about how a burglar would regret trying to break in while they were home. That's all it took to start something, like a spark to rekindle a blaze. Donna said, "Old dummy there thought he heard a burglar one night". I could see Buck squirm a little, so I had to pry . Donna continued, " He gabbed his big ole Dirty Harry 44 Magnum and went outside".

I'll tell you what that pistol looks a lot bigger in real life then it looked on TV. It's like a cannon with a pistol grip.

She continued, "He came back in a minute looking upset cause he didn't see anything. When he went to put his gun down, it went off and almost shot my dog that was laying on the floor asleep!" "Almost shot my puppy, and blew a hole in the floor!"

Now Buck started, "Oh yeh, I remember when you were playing with your little 45 and shot the refrigerator!" "We only had that fridge for 3 months".

My wife and I looked at each other and I could tell she was thinking the same thing as I. Run!

I was trying to lighten the mood a little and asked if it was under warranty?

"Little hard to explain how the back of it had a big hole blown thru it" said Buck.

They were a nice couple, but that was the last time we visited them.

Northern Dancer

ya know somethin? I just couldn't be bothered. I got a small 10-pound tank and I can have it filled [in the neck of the woods] for 10 bucks. To buy the regular canisters would have cost me 74 or more. So I stay with the small tank at 10 pounds. I still have my 60-pound for the backyard barbeque.

Grandpa

The seals on the 1 pounders are fragile. I've had several leak after disconnecting with fuel still in it. Like Dancer, we prefer the 10 or 20 lb refillable bottles.

Cappy

I use the 5 gallon 18 lb size 2 fit the front of my camper and I always carry pone for cooking and lighting. I have a manifold that 3 things can hook to one bottle. light, 2 burner cook stove and a bigger burner for frying fish etc. When I was off grid I used 1 bottle to run my lil Gen for 2 8 to 10 hour nights. Run my fridge freezer and a box fan and my cpap at night and that was enough for fridge and freezer if I didn't open thm much.

Roybrew

When I was camping with my parents, my Dad had trouble getting the refrigerator lit. We worked on it and studied it and just couldn't figure it out. Ended up getting ice and using the cooler. After they got home Dad discovered that the propane can was empty. We never thought to check that. My home air conditioner runs on natural gas. About the same concept as the refrigerators in RVs that run on propane. That things over 20 years old. Pretty efficient to.

I done a little more studying on filling the bottles. And I purchased a small scale so I don't exceed the volume for the little bottles. I'll take another try at filling one when I have time.

AK Hunter

I'm old fashioned I cook over an open fire. Wood or things to burn are every were & I don't have to carry them.

Roybrew

I haven't dedicated much time to filling one yet. Last trip was oat meal and ramen noodles.

AK Hunter

You know if you turn the big tank up side down the liquid propane will flow into the small tank not just the gas. And hopefully it will last a little longer.

Northern Dancer

I'm old fashioned I cook over an open fire. Wood or things to burn are every were & I don't have to carry them.
=====> I'm with you "AK". I prefer an open fire with my cast iron fry pan. However, there are times (more often than enough) open fires are banned. When this happens I have a variety of stoves that will come to my aid. Recently when I'm tripping I use the following.

3097 Really compact as you can see. I usually bring three of them with the small fuel can. Quiet too.

AK Hunter

=====> I'm with you "AK". I prefer an open fire with my cast iron fry pan. However, there are times (more often than enough) open fires are banned. When this happens I have a variety of stoves that will come to my aid. Recently when I'm tripping I use the following.

View attachment 3097 Really compact as you can see. I usually bring three of them with the small fuel can. Quiet too.
I take it you haven't see the gallon coffee can with holes punched it it. It's a contained fire just as good as the propane things everyone puts in there packs.

Northern Dancer

I take it you haven't see the gallon coffee can with holes punched it it. It's a contained fire just as good as the propane things everyone puts in there packs.
=====> ...not that particular design but I have used a lot of cans with punched holes. Fun to make, easy to use and you can do your own creative design if you have a hankering.

Cappy

My old 2 burner propane camp stove has died. The burners wore out seals leaked and had been fixed so many times I finally gave up and put it on top of the pile of storm trash I had someone rode by saw it and took it home with them I wish them well f better tinkerers than me maybe it will live again. I poured over amazon, ebay and assorted oud ddoor shops looking for a simular replacement. After hours of on line shopping I was a fraid I'd hafta settle for a different style or something. Walking through the local country store the other day I saw one exactly like what I was looking for hiding under some pots on the top shelf I could see a price tag on it so I asked the stock guy and he dug out a lil ladder climbed up and dug it out for me 45.00 was a deal I could not pass and it followed me home! I am sure yall will be seeing the new one soon soon as we finish recouping our yard we will clean up the ole camper and hit the trail. Still too hot our prime camping time is bout when all you yankees quit