HIKING THE DREAM TRAIL

Northern Dancer

I'm gettin' older; yep, the body is telling me to slow down but the spirit says to keep goin' and don't stop. There are trails I should have hiked and places that I should have gone. But didn't. Do you ever think that way? If you do, join me in sharing some of those dream places no matter where they are in the world. It's okay to dream and it's okay to wish.

So let me start...

I've never been to British Columbia, Canada. Yet it boasts some of the finest hiking possibilities in the entire world. Isn't it true? Things in our own backyard are the things we seem to ignore. Like, I'm an hour and a half from Niagara Falls but haven't been there in years.

4064 4065 4066

4067 4068 4069

4070 4071 4072

Wow! We are so blessed with an abundance in this North America.

Come on now...it's your turn to share.

Roybrew

I believe the thing that keeps a person living, is having dreams of things to do, hold, watch or experience. I have so much that I want to do that I'll never do it all. I just turned 58, not that old but not as young as I used to be. A job that I've been in for 30 years now, and the same shift and line that I've been working for the past 13 years. I am burned out, but I keep going. I focus my time on things I want to do, and places to go when I can.

There is so much with in a couple of hundred miles from my home that I may never see it all. I also dream of far off places that I want to go. We just got back from the Outer Banks in NC. We planned that 3 years ago, and it just never materialized till last month. Much more to do and many more places to go. I don't think I'll ever run out of places I want to go.

On my bucket list
Roy's Bucket list:
1- I want to spend a week in Algonquin park
2- We would love to go to British Columbia also.
3- Sequoia National Park.
The list goes on
Roy

Northern Dancer

I believe the thing that keeps a person living, is having dreams of things to do, hold, watch or experience. I have so much that I want to do that I'll never do it all. I just turned 58, not that old but not as young as I used to be. A job that I've been in for 30 years now, and the same shift and line that I've been working for the past 13 years. I am burned out, but I keep going. I focus my time on things I want to do, and places to go when I can.

There is so much with in a couple of hundred miles from my home that I may never see it all. I also dream of far off places that I want to go. We just got back from the Outer Banks in NC. We planned that 3 years ago, and it just never materialized till last month. Much more to do and many more places to go. I don't think I'll ever run out of places I want to go.

On my bucket list
Roy's Bucket list:
1- I want to spend a week in Algonquin park
2- We would love to go to British Columbia also.
3- Sequoia National Park.
The list goes on

Roy

DING! 4074 If you ever get to Algonquin Park let me know. For years it was my prime place to go to and it is still at the top of my trip planning.

I liked your comments and certainly can identify with what you are saying. It seems to me it takes a little while to get our priorities straight. Some of us do better because we plan and scheme to make things happen.

4076 4078 4079

Roybrew

Wow what a moose! Are they pretty docile? It would suck to have one get after a person.

If I ever make it up there, I'll give you a hollar. I look at a maps app frequently, and calculate how much driving time it is, and how many days to stay to make it worthwhile. Then I wonder if my old truck would make the trip. I dream of skipping out of work, grabbing my canoe, and running off. I need to get my passport, just in case I ever, "fly the coop".

I love reading the posts that Grandpa and PPine would write, about hiking and camping, in the Rocky mountains. I can't grasp how it would look, or the smell of the air. Here in the Appalachians it is said that it is almost tropical. The under brush gets so thick that it looks inprentible. If you sleep out under the stars at night, more then likely your going to wake up wet from all the dew.

I see a lot more pines up toward Canada. I grew up right below the UP in Michigan, lived there till I was 10. There were a lot more pines there then we have here in TN. I remember the mosquitos and some black flies. We don't have them that bad in this area. I think I'd rather have the copper head and rattle snakes over mosquitos. No natural lakes, and different type of soil here I think. We got red clay here. Ya get that clay on you and it'll stain your skin orange.

West TN has slower and more navigable rivers. I need to check into that. There are so many places to see. My wife and I did Congaree swamp in South Carolina. It was interesting, but I yearn to see clean natural lakes with natural sand, and primitive camping spots dotted along shorelines.
Sorry I'm rambling on again.
Roy

ppine

Forester
Bc and Alberta are great places to visit. I have been to Alaska more than ten times.
I have few things left on the bucket list.
I just returned from a 5 day river trip on the mighty Klamath River. At 73 the river was too much. It was fast, pushy, and a lot of work. Many rapids in succession. It is time to go slower and retire from the harder rivers.

Roybrew

I've been down the Ocoee river once, in a raft. It was selected for the 1996 summer Olympics. Rapids just aren't my thing. I went with a group of people I worked with, so we had an outfitter that knew what he was doing. I'm pretty sure we did an easier section then they had the kayaking event.

I thought it was going to be a casual drift with nice scenery. The scenery was fabulous, but the rapids were a lot of work. I had no idea. I didn't like the rough water.

So if your shooting rapids in a raft in your 70's, that is really something to brag about.

I have to ask tho, did you take any pictures? I know you don't do the picture thing, but I like pictures.
Roy

ppine

Forester
My crew took a few pictures. My hands were full at the oars controlling the boat. I barely had time to drink any water.

ppine

Forester
There is little left on my bucket list. Now I think in terms of trying to do some of the things I have already done.
There is nothing left to prove. No one to impress. Trips are getting easier.

I am going to eastern Idaho near Yellowstone to visit an old friend. We will be fly fishing on Henry's Fork of the Snake with dry flies. My friend is a world class fisherman. He is also a horse trainer, so we will be working with lots of horses. It is about as big as it gets now. In August a trip to Seattle to see family. I am happy to be able to make long drives now and stay awake.

Roybrew

I love trout fishing with dry flies. I haven't done that in several years. I used to go every Sunday morning. It was my thing. I would get up by 3am and be at the trout stream before day break. It was always colder closer to the mountains. I would have my neoprene waders and a light jacket on. The river water was always cold.

I'd bet the Henry's Fork is very frigid. I've seen a trout fishing show on TV where they were catching some fabulous Brook trout in that area. That sounds like a blast Pine. I would be nice to see some pictures of when you go.
Roy

ppine

Forester
Few introduced brook trout on the Snake. I expect rainbows and cutthroats, maybe some left over browns which are also introduced fish species.

Northern Dancer

There is little left on my bucket list. Now I think in terms of trying to do some of the things I have already done.
There is nothing left to prove. No one to impress. Trips are getting easier.

I am going to eastern Idaho near Yellowstone to visit an old friend. We will be fly fishing on Henry's Fork of the Snake with dry flies. My friend is a world class fisherman. He is also a horse trainer, so we will be working with lots of horses. It is about as big as it gets now. In August a trip to Seattle to see family. I am happy to be able to make long drives now and stay awake.
-----> Ya have to be in the zone or the space or the place to understand the comments - "There is nothing left to prove. No one to impress." But, you know, I've learned something about that kind of talk/thinking. I've come to appreciate the hearty conversations, humour, and laughter when I'm with a group of guys who are like-minded. Do you know what I mean? "There ain't no more secrets and you have learned that you are not any better or worse than anyone else. Actually, it's sort of nice when you can leave competition out of life and just be yourself. Sometimes you discover you are an okay kind of guy.

jason

fear no beer
Love those pictures. Thank you for sharing. Wish we had some of those views down here, especially the water falls.

Northern Dancer

I am so fortunate to have a lot of organized trails within in a short distance from my home on the Grand. This is Tiffany Falls, close to a built-up area but hidden in the bush. People use it in the winter to "ice climb". There is a structured viewing platform at the bottom.

Roybrew

That is awesome. I love waterfalls. The negative ions always make me mellow, philosophical and all squishy.

Northern Dancer

Back to MOOSE.

Down by the riverside, you say? This photo was taken a few years ago when I was at base camp in Cannisbay Lake. These two passed right past my tent while I was having morning coffee.

The best time to see moose in the park is early morning - the earlier the better. Moose for the most part are docile but you don't want to get in their way either especially during the mating season.

ppine

Forester
Never mess with moose. They are the most dangerous animal in the bush. Worse than bears, ask any Alaskan.

Northern Dancer

Never mess with moose. They are the most dangerous animal in the bush. Worse than bears, ask any Alaskan.
-----> That's very true of course but I've come very close to Moose than just about any other animal. At the same time, I keep my distance too.