Add your Idea ---> Camp Hacks <---

Northern Dancer

Roybrew - you have to be one of the most inventive campers that I have ever seen/met. I have the impression when you are not out on site you muse yourself with coming up with fantastic ideas.

I, on the other hand, tend to design flags and plaques, make camp furniture, and plan [sometimes too much] for the next trip. When the snow was cascading down the other day I spent time thinking of ways to improve the configuration of my tarps.

Roybrew

IMG_20230309_153226636_HDR.jpgIMG_20230309_153148056_HDR.jpg It works. Pretty good to. The legs on on this Helinox chair are made of steel, not aluminum and definitely not flimsy. The chair still fits in it's original bag. I'll slather some polyurethane on them in a few days.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

View attachment 3949View attachment 3950 It works. Pretty good to. The legs on on this Helinox chair are made of steel, not aluminum and definitely not flimsy. The chair still fits in it's original bag. I'll slather some polyurethane on them in a few days.
Roy

The Great Outdoors
-----> Congrats on another fine job. Maybe Helinox could improve their product line if they knew about this innovative idea - just sayin.

Roybrew

Thanks. They really need to work on the feet of their chairs. I got very annoyed with how easy the feet would sink into soft soil.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Last time we were camping, I almost had a bad accident with my portable toilet seat contraption. It was almost disastrous. The feet sank in the soft soil. IMG_20230315_184806872_HDR.jpg I took a piece of deck board and ripped it in half. I set my chair on it so I could drill the , close to, proper angle.IMG_20230315_184806872_HDR.jpg Voila! Nice and stable, and good for thinkingIMG_20230315_185730779_HDR.jpg Ha oh boy what a pic. Any how it should work fineIMG_20230315_190242456_HDR.jpg

Now I've got to figure out how to add a little bit of a head board to my cot. IMG_20230315_192126174_HDR.jpg I'm thinking something simple. No book case in head board ahem. IMG_20230315_192217670_HDR.jpg maybe slanted up a.little so I don't lose my pillow at night.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

Last time we were camping, I almost had a bad accident with my portable toilet seat contraption. It was almost disastrous. The feet sank in the soft soil. View attachment 3951 I took a piece of deck board and ripped it in half. I set my chair on it so I could drill the , close to, proper angle.View attachment 3952 Voila! Nice and stable, and good for thinkingView attachment 3953 Ha oh boy what a pic. Any how it should work fineView attachment 3954

Now I've got to figure out how to add a little bit of a head board to my cot. View attachment 3955 I'm thinking something simple. No book case in head board ahem. View attachment 3956 maybe slanted up a.little so I don't lose my pillow at night.
Roy

The Great Outdoors
-----> I love reading your "stuff" "Roy"; always interesting and informative.
I can certainly identify with the toilet issue. I fixed the problem by making a round wooden platform with an opening I could use for a handle and attached the toilet contraption to it to make it all portable.
I was checking out your cot too - I bought a Teton Adventurer for this year's season. I've decided to take it on canoe trips too - I kinda like sitting down rather than falling down and crawling along the ground to get into bed. :Whistling: I know it's a luxury item, but, it's my butt and back.

Roybrew

Hello ND. Yes I think round platform is probably a better idea. I'm going to ponder on that [emoji848].

I sleep very well on that cot except for losing my pillow. I do like being able to swing my legs off and sit up on it, and underneath makes for good storage space. It's not very packable, but it works for my purpose.

I've got a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to it. Glad your enjoying this.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Yep, ND you are correct. Round is better.IMG_20230319_103541091_HDR.jpg The shelter and toilet seat with stand fit into shelter bag.IMG_20230319_105100599_HDR.jpg I also purchased a windscreen for stove or burner. IMG_20230319_115505600_HDR.jpgIMG_20230319_115828126_HDR.jpg packs down pretty small toIMG_20230319_120111682_HDR.jpg

Working on my cot head rest.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Well let's see, the things that didn't work out.IMG_20230319_144604092_HDR.jpg
Nope didn't work out very well. Maybe a little big and need to work on how it attaches.IMG_20230309_153226636_HDR.jpg
Another waste of time.IMG_20230527_193318623_HDR.jpg
Tennis balls work better.
Roy

Northern Dancer

You can tell the experienced campers because they are really good at eating and sleeping.
-----> How very true. And because we are good at eating we are usually good at outdoor cooking and coming up with some snazzy recipes. We tend to blend in more with the scene and rejoice in creation. We are comfortable in natural surroundings and embrace simple life. When it comes to sleep...we have a tendency to become sleepy after the fun and exercise of the day.

Roybrew

I agree with both of y'all. I sleep like a bear when I'm camping. I need to work on my cooking. I eat well, but I'm not much of a cook. Chard chicken anyone?
Royburnt-charred-chicken-barbeque-78136722~2.jpg

Northern Dancer

I agree with both of y'all. I sleep like a bear when I'm camping. I need to work on my cooking. I eat well, but I'm not much of a cook. Chard chicken anyone?
RoyView attachment 4115
-----> Ya know somethin'...it's just amazing what we will eat and when it's outdoors it seems to be just fine.

I wasn't happy with my cooking for a long time. So what I did was to come up with sound recipes, built a campfire in the back, and practiced. I got my Woods camp stove and did the same. After a while, I got to be pretty good. Then I learned to cook stews, fish, chicken and a sort of other things. Made my own pizza in the pan, nachos in a bag, and so on. I learned how to bake bread on an open fire, even surprising myself.

I've paid far more attention to techniques and methods and learned to manage the flames better.

I luvs this stuff.

Roybrew

Screenshot_20230607-200438-396.pngI better stick with oatmeal and can nuts. Oh definitely Little Debbie snack cakes. Ha
Roy

Northern Dancer

View attachment 4117I better stick with oatmeal and can nuts. Oh definitely Little Debbie snack cakes. Ha
Roy
-----> That's funny...but...can be true. Like the person who thinks a little bit of gasoline can get a campfire going. I've seen this a few times and watched with batted breath and attentiveness. Then there is the demonstration of the burning marshmallow that one blows out and immediately attempts to put it in their mouth. I luv camping!

Northern Dancer

4306 EGGS

Eggs have always presented a problem - I don't seem to get enough of them when I'm camping.
And transporting them can be fun, and cooking them is something else. At one time I just left fresh eggs in the carton and took them along placing them first as an item to cook. But today we can do other things ----->

like these [if you haven't already tried them].

4299 Eggs in a Baggie [You can do a group thing or each individual can do their own].

First I get a good quality baggie, the one with the zip lock I find is best.
I use four eggs.
Add - some chopped ham, cheddar cheese, onion, red pepper, and a tad of salt and pepper as desired.
I mix the ingredients well in the bag and simply drop them into a pot of boiling water.
I use a spoon to gently push them around and down into the water to ensure that all is cooked.
Done. Eat and enjoy.

4301 Using a plastic container has its advantages.

Sometimes I've brought the eggs along in a plastic bottle and used the recipe for a group breakfast. Simple and efficient. Other times I just like plain eggs with bacon. Bacon in a Bag that stays fresh as long as it is sealed.

4307 I also like the "Beef Steak" Nuggets, "Bacon" Jerky, and other similar products.

But you can still use the standards.

4302 4303 4304 4305

Share your ideas with us.