Height

EyeOfThePark

Being on the shortish side myself (5 feet three), and taking my first horse riding lessons next month, I have a few questions regarding the horse / rider height proportion...

What are the shortest breeds of horses, bigger than the ponies, of course? How do you decide what height of horse is right for a rider? Are there any rules for calculating height/weight proportions?

JollyRogers

Height really only comes into play when mounting/dismounting. It is much more a question of disposition/riding skill that matches a rider to a horse.

My sister is about an inch shorter than you and she used to ride our chestnut stud that was just over 17 hands high. (Average quarter horse is usually between 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands high) But he loved her and she loved him and they got along great. She just needed a boost when saddling up.

Heck, the horse I learned my leads on was a mare that was well over 17 hands high and I was only about 8 years old. I had to climb up the side of the stall to get in the saddle.

Express any concerns you have to the instructor and they should match you up to a horse according to your comfort level. No matter the size, if this is your first lesson, it will seem like you are 20 feet off of the ground when you start riding. Just relax and have fun.

ppine

Forester
Or a mule or a donkey. Many people are self conscious about how they look horseback. How about a Texas cow pony about 14 h or less? They are easy to get on, feel right, and have a shorter distance to the ground if you come off.

Last edited:

carmen

Sometimes starting smaller is the best bet. I never had a growth spurt until I was in my late teens and I am talking when I was out of school. The first time I headed out I remember being seriously intimidated with the horse they gave me, then I opted for a smaller one. :)

Grandpa

I like a tall horse for riding through the sagebrush. A tall horse gives me a better view looking for the glint of an antler to show me where the big buck is hiding. Of course I now need a rope ladder to get up there.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

ppine

Forester
I have had two mules that were 16 hands, and they were good movers. It was a long way to fall when I came off, and I would not buy anything that big again. Even for tall people, 15 h is plenty. I have ridden some mules and an Arab I can remember that were not much more than 14.1 hands. They were small but mighty and very handy in the mountains. The only thing they had trouble with was stream crossings.