New Life

ponderosa

Find a current edition of Collin Fletcher's excellent book, The Complete Walker. Read it, then practice what you learn. Go hiking for a few days. Revise your systems, repeat. Don't be deluded into thinking you can "live off the land" and not starve. Enjoy your adventure.

Grandpa

Eco-lite, maybe I misread your intent. I inferred you were going off the grid by packing in to some remote area for some indefinate time. If you are just leaving home with a mix of travel, cafes and camping, that is a whole different scenario. By all means enjoy yourself. As to equipment, sounds like you are trying out all the options beforehand. Many do just as you are planning. I recently gave a ride to a gentleman who hikes clear across the country and back and has been doing it for years. I didn't ask him all the details but since he asked to stop at a store to replenish his supplies, I assumed he either carried a large sum of cash (dangerous) or had his income auto deposited and used a debit card.

Good luck with your travels.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Find a current edition of Collin Fletcher's excellent book, The Complete Walker. Read it, then practice what you learn. Go hiking for a few days. Revise your systems, repeat. Don't be deluded into thinking you can "live off the land" and not starve. Enjoy your adventure.
Ponderosa, it did not take me long to find a copy of the complete walker.

Originally published in 1968, my copy is the updated version and renamed ,"The New Complete Walker" 1974 edition. It seems there were two more revisions made before Collin passed away in 2007 at age 85.

Have to be at work in 6 hours, so I will try to read a couple of pages before I roll over.

Thank you for suggesting this book. I love the concept (house on your back). This is perfect! What a wonderful gift you have placed in my hands..

I will look for the most current publication "The Complete Walker IV" (2002) and compare it to this copy.

ppine

Forester
The first step in learning to live in a forest, is to spell it correctly.
Any copy of "The Complete Walker" will suffice. Wanting to compare your copy with a newer copy is a symptom of your lack of confidence.

Build your experience (and confidence) in a stepwise fashion. Short trips near home in a campground. Longer trips. Then short backpacking or boat trips solo. Remember that everyone starts out as a rookie. It is supposed to be fun, or at least rewarding and worthwhile. Do not go out there to scare yourself. Do not worry about what anyone else thinks of your plan. There are literally hundreds of different and correct ways to do things in the outdoors. Try some new things every time you go out.

If it were me I would bring a dog and a boat. Consider a journal. This trip will change you more than any experience that you have ever had. Make a photo log of your trips. You will have the makings of a book when you are done. You are very bright and would be a great author. Just don't overthink your plan.

ponderosa

I actually would recommend a more current edition. Gear options have changed dramatically in 40 years, as have widely accepted LNT practices. Your early edition is a treasure though...a little piece of backpacking history.

ppine

Forester
No one is suggesting that you ditch technology, just don't rely on it. No dangling from mountains either.
Forest not forrest. Lewis and Clark, not Louis and Clark.
We wonder where you are Eco-lite, and wish you nothing but truth and beauty.

dinosaur

troublemaker
This is interesting. What should I say?

Learn to build a fire in the wind or wet. Carry two good knives. Never go into an area with dangerous animals unless you are carrying something to stop them. Remember, the most dangerous animal on the planet is the one you see in the mirror but that doesn't make you invincible. Never set up camp in an area that doesn't have proper drainage. If there's a log blocking your path, don't step over it. Walk around it (snakes). Never panic. And don't pee into the wind.