Making it back, do I have enough gear?

eco-lite

Flatlander
Survival: one mans opinion.
Probably discussed many times on this forum.

A bear, a deer, a squirrel, a dog all survive, meeting their needs in the wild.
They drink water, find food and find shelter, at times they attract a mate and interact, maintaining their species.

With no survival gear at all we can go deep into the wilderness.
Survival is about getting back, or about learning to stay.

Whatever we wear, whatever we carry, will either aid us in our return, or may ultimately hinder it.
Shoes: They are a bother, but do increase the likely hood that we will survive.
The upside/downside is they can take us deeper into the wilderness.

Are you packing light?
Are you packing right?

Will you make it back?

For me, it is all about the return.
So, why go out?

The answer is simple.
To learn to survive; to gain a greater understanding; to live and to learn.

Here are some of my definitions of camping.
Probably not so different from your own.

Camping: To learn the skills necessary to survive when all else fails.
Comfortable camping: baby steps needed to gain those skills.
Emergency Camping: Revisiting old skills and learning new ones.
Survival Camping: a way of life for those brave few who live it and the only option for those that don't.

So, what about survival, starvation and salvation.
Do we have the skills, knowledge and wisdom to live?

Take inventory, practice, teach and learn.

Have the desire to live, the knowledge to grow, to wisdom to mature.

Be a learner: learn the skills necessary to be a leader, listen to your students and offer encouragement, give hope and guidance to the lost. Feed the poor, give them knowledge and direction. Wish them well on their journey ahead.

Happy trails to you. (and trials too)

Comments?

Last edited:

eco-lite

Flatlander
ppine,
Boy Scout Motto: Be prepared

The ultimate measure of man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

The thinking man survives,
If I were in need of a tribe of nomadic survivors, I would want you and many of the elders to be taking the lead.

Some would rather survive on their own..

Not a prepper, Just trying to be prepared.

What you do without thinking, is what many of us need to think about.
What you know keeps you out of danger, it is what you don't know that can put you at risk.

I silently read your past contributions to this forum and have a greater understanding of your survival skills. What can be gleaned from your experiences builds a greater understanding of how one man handles the challenges he is confronted with.

Many of us have never had to lead a pack mule.
It is nice to know the differences in the personalities and weight limits of mules as opposed to horses (or Llamas for that matter).

Will I need this knowledge? I hope not, but if this challenge were to be confronted, I would ask myself, what would ppine do?

Did I learn anything from the recent video "Black Bear Stalks Hikers" ?
I learned not to panic and run. It was nice to see how they handled the challenge that confronted them. They did what was necessary and they ultimately survived without a scratch

Your advice: Learn to just be
My response: Learning to be (Prepared)"
Not a prepper, it is a total different mindset.
Call me a tenderfoot or a flatlander, or even a bother, but I would prefer for you to think of me as your younger brother.

Joined this forum about week ago and have six weeks to prepare.
It is what it is..

I do like your responses though.
You keep me thinking...

ppine

Forester
Eco-Lite,
Thanks for the words. I am not much of a survivalist.
You are the kind of person I really like to go out with because you are a deep thinker and can take suggestions.

I was on a canoe trip once with my wife's younger sister. It was a technical river with a lot of rapids and hydraulics. Sis was only 16 and not much of an outdoor person, but she was smart and could take suggestions. We would stop above a rapid and plan a strategy. When I asked for a right bow draw, we always crossed the eddy line and made the move. She turned out to be a great bow partner, on one of the hardest rivers I have ever paddled.

ppine

Forester
Eco-Lite,
You are the kind of person I really like to go out with because you are a deep thinker and can take suggestions.

I was on a canoe trip once with my wife's younger sister. It was a technical river with a lot of rapids and hydraulics. Sis was only 16 and not much of an outdoor person, but she was smart and could take suggestions. We would stop above a rapid and plan a strategy. When I asked for a right bow draw, we always crossed the eddy line and made the move. She turned out to be a great bow partner, on one of the hardest rivers I have ever paddled.

ppine

Forester
Eco-Lite,

ppine

Forester
Eco-Lite,

Cappy

The internet is full of posers, you know what I mean. Fantasy campers I have heard them called. Wanna be's, or kids trying to invent the life they wish they had. For me its a game trying to figure out who's who. Well I have been reading PPine's post for a couple years now and I feel it's my duty to inform this forum. That this man is the real deal. Among several others here I have no doubt trust him with my life and would be honored to have him with me in any situation. What moved me to tell this is the above post. I have always enjopyed his tales of canoes. I have done my share of paddling too. Just different, so that's what made me read with intrest. This one short post reminded me of my decision and moved me to tell yall, This guy is the real deal and I am honored to have read his posts, and yall aint never heard me say that kind of thing before.

oldsarge

The internet is full of posers, you know what I mean. Fantasy campers I have heard them called. Wanna be's, or kids trying to invent the life they wish they had. For me its a game trying to figure out who's who. Well I have been reading PPine's post for a couple years now and I feel it's my duty to inform this forum. That this man is the real deal. Among several others here I have no doubt trust him with my life and would be honored to have him with me in any situation. What moved me to tell this is the above post. I have always enjopyed his tales of canoes. I have done my share of paddling too. Just different, so that's what made me read with intrest. This one short post reminded me of my decision and moved me to tell yall, This guy is the real deal and I am honored to have read his posts, and yall aint never heard me say that kind of thing before.
Great post Cappy! I never met PPine personally, but have gotten to know him through this site. The mans a wealth of knowledge and I too enjoy reading his posts.

ppine

Forester
Cappy I feel the same way about you. There is something about people that live on the water. They know how to deal with adversity and they either learn how to get along with people or try another line of work.

Sorry about all the duplication. Computers work in strange ways. How do we eliminate three of them?

On Sat I am heading to Oregon to paddle the Willamette River with 7 friends for a week. . Some are flying in from Colorado. I will be thinking about my friends like Cappy.

ppine

Forester
After getting beat up on other forums you guys have no idea what it means to hear words like the ones above. Thank you. It is very humbling.

One of the great things about the next canoe trip is that my bow partner is a 23 year old kid from upstate NY. He just came out for a few weeks to visit his uncle. He is an athlete but not an outdoors kid. I look forward to building his confidence and teaching him whatever he wants to learn. He is a baseball player so I am going to call him "Ace."