Our Rain Indicator

Cappy

We have hornets, in the roof of our shed. We leave them there, they help with pollination since there aren't many honey bees around, and do no harm. We leave them alone and walk in and out of the shed often and never do they bother us. Now occasionally they start to try to set up another nest on the patio or in a bothersome place we run them off, and sadly have had to poison a few of the nests when they crop up in high traffic areas. Our friends and family are not as tolerant as we are, so we keep wasp out of the party area fire pit and BBQ area. Anyways I digress. We have noticed the hornets are very accurate rain alerts. When you see them swarming in from everywhere trying to get into the limited access on the shed you can bet its going to rain. Normally they are about doing what ever they do with only 3 or 4 flying around their hive at any one time. Peggy came in and told me they were all trying to get in, and that inspired me to write this, now I hear thunder and wind blowing, it wont be long before the drops start falling. How do I kn ow this? Weather channel? Internet? Barometer? or any other gadgetry? NO I observe nature and one of Gods creatures told me. Guess what?? I hear the first drops on the roof. So much for cutting grass Think I'll take a nap.:Yo:

Cappy

The bad news. It did rain but not enough to stop me from having to cut the grass. So I got started after lunch when the temp was over 90F and the humidity was over 100% how can that be you ask? When the sun comes back out after a rain the air gets so thick it looks almost like fog and the water clings to everything Cause the air is too full. Just like a steam bath.

jason

fear no beer
Sounds like Florida. I would not mind the bee's so much if they would not sting me on the feet when I walked around barefoot.

ppine

Forester
We use a trick I learned in Wyoming, the Indian Weather Rock. It sits in the backyard where I can see it from the kitchen window. If it is wet, I know it is raining.

Cappy

The Cajun weather rope. A 2 ft piece of rope hanging down from a branch in the yard.
1. Rope wet: Rain
2. rope moldy: humidity
3. cant see rope: fog
4. rope at an angle: wind
5. angle of rope: Strength of wind
6. rope in water: Flood
7: Rope gone Hurricane

8. rope stiff: Freeze
9. Rope white frost.

This accurate weather instrument could be yours!! for the Amazing price of 49.95 plus S.&H. for an additional 14.95 you can recieve the seasonal up grade with additional features like seasonal change indicator, and sun dial ability. Note card board sun dial sold separately. hysterically laughing Cajun is standing by for your order. or at least he will be if you call.:D:p:Yo: