kodiak or copper canyon

Charlie62

Hi, I just joined the forum and looking forward to all the vast knowledge that hangs around here. So, I'll get to the point. I'm 62 and starting to get back into tent camping. I'm looking between the copper canyon 6 or the Kodiak. Here's some info. I love the outdoors and the cabins that the state parks offer are getting expensive. I live in South Carolina and will probably do 99% of my camping in SC and in state parks. My wife probably won't camp much. I'm looking at maybe 3 to 4 times a year, spring and fall. I'm working on my bucket list which is to fish and hunt as many places as I can in SC. I'm looking for a 10x10 tent that I can set up by myself and it not be a battle. I love the Kodiak but not having much experience with canvas and people telling me that canvas is not for the south I figured that all this knowledge will fill me in. The copper canyon looks like a good southern tent however I'm concerned with it holding up to weather. Is the Kodiak as easy to set up as the video shows? Is it extremely hot during warm southern days and nights? Does it STAY DRY during afternoon storms? I know that I have to make the choice and everyone will have an opinion on this but hopefully your experience with the two tents will educate me. Thanks in advance and looking to learn a lot from here. Charlie

ponderosa

Canvas tents are good for hot or cold weather. They actually stay cooler than a nylon tent in hot weather. I've never been to the south, but I would guess the only issue would be storage and humidity. If the tent is even slightly damp in storage, it will mildew (but that would be a concern for nylon as well). And yes, a good canvas tent such as Kodiak or Springbar does very well in bad weather...it will keep you dry. I don't have a Kodiak so can't comment on the ease of set up. I do know that when properly cared for, they can last for decades.

I'm not overly impressed with the looks of the Copper Canyon for a few reasons. First of all, it says the seams on the floor and fly are factory sealed, but says nothing about seam sealing on the tent body itself. That more than likely means they are NOT sealed, and that tent has a lot of seams that are not covered by the skimpy rainfly. I would expect all those uncovered seams to leak, as well as the uncovered zippers on the doors/windows. Skimpy rainflys generally do not translate to a dry tent. Second, the poles are fiberglass, which tent to split lengthwise quite easily. The taller/heavier the tent, the more likely the fiberglass poles will break. Aluminum poles are much stronger despite being lighter, and are also more flexible. Finally, I can't see any attachment points for guylines, which are very important for stability in windy weather in a tent that tall. Those fiberglass poles are going to bend and break in the wind without guyline support (two lines from each corner should be used). My priorities in a tent are full coverage rainfly, good quality DAC aluminum poles, and a strong stable pole configuration (the simple two poles crossed at the top design is fine for smaller tents, but less stable with a big, heavy, tall tent, especially in the wind).

Here's a good one, at a good sale price:
Kelty Palisade 6 - 6 Person Tent , 28017 | Family Tents | Tents | GEAR | items from Campmor.

briansnat

Platnium Member
tents

Canvas tents are heavy and need too much extra TLC for my taste. It's always been my experience that they leak after a few years and you need to keep treating them, nevermind making sure they are bone dry before you put them away and having to be careful where you store them.

The fairly tall and straight walls of the Kodiak may not do well in the wind unless there are numerous places to anchor guy lines.

I have some of the same reservations about the Copper Canyon as the previous poster. If you want dry, never trust a fly that doesn't cover the entire tent body.

How about something like the LL Bean King Pine (4 or 6 person). I've had some great experiences with Bean tents over the years. Very well made and their satisfaction guarantee is great. If decide you don't like it, even years later, you can send it back. I don't own a King Pine but I was impressed when I camped with a friend who had it.

Also check out REI for tents. Their own brand is a very good value.

ejj

I live in SC and I use my Kodiak Flex-bow 10x10 fall winter and spring in lowcountry camping. I too was worried about the SC heat and humidity, but I have found it to be a great purchase. It takes on the heavy rains and well and the large windows allow cross breeze. The newer VX would likely be even better on hot summer nights. I camp with my son and father who is late 60's and we all 3 put cots in there comfortably. The set up is fairly quick once you do it a few times and takes little strength. The hardest part is putting all of the stakes down, but I also have drill spikes that could be useful alternative to mallet work on 10+ stakes. The flexbow T bar and spring rods are only difficult when tent is wet and tight, not a problem when dry. I always wash my tent well, make sure it is fully dry before folding up and store it in a closet inside to assure no mold. I did puncture it twice in past 3 years and it was an easy repair for under $20 at a canvas shop and I repaired it with Kodiaks kit the second time with no leaks. I have the vestibule and it allows some privacy and rain protection for gear under awning. I family camp with scouts and other scout families often want to see my tent and comment on the room and quality of the tent. I highly recommend it.

Judy Ann

I primarily use my 10x10 Kodiak when camping in SC. I use fans to help circulate air in the summer and it works great below 30 degrees. It is about 5 years old and still looks like new and most of the time it has been set up on barrier islands. Make sure that it s 100% dry before putting away. At 57 I set it up solo with maybe a little huffing and puffing when setting it upright. Make sure all the doors are fully unzipped and it makes it a lot easier.

Pathfinder1

I primarily use my 10x10 Kodiak when camping in SC. I use fans to help circulate air in the summer and it works great below 30 degrees. It is about 5 years old and still looks like new and most of the time it has been set up on barrier islands. Make sure that it s 100% dry before putting away. At 57 I set it up solo with maybe a little huffing and puffing when setting it upright. Make sure all the doors are fully unzipped and it makes it a lot easier.
Judy Ann...
Where in the world have you been hiding over the past many months...?? Good to see you back...!!