Camping gear that you'd like to have, but that no one seems to make?

Grandpa

Nope, gonna keep carrying my SPOT tracker. It keeps grandma from worrying when I'm off wandering trails that see maybe 10 people a year. Without SPOT, she might not let me go anymore.

ppine

Forester
dino,
I had this experience last summer at an old timey fishing lake in Oregon. It is a pretty remote location, but there have been some private inholdings around the lake, and one resort that has been there for 100 years. My brother and I took a walk with our dogs to look around and found some adults and kids eating ice cream. I asked them where they got it. They said "down by the pizza place." I thought it was a joke. There was a little restaurant that had been there since WWII near the campground. They had great pizza, beer and a view of Diamond Lake that was dazzling. Sometimes unexpected touches of civilization are very appreciated, especially on long trips.

ponderosa

Mmm, pizza in the woods. I made an experiment of making pizza on a little backpacking stove in a very light skillet one time, with sauce and toppings dehydrated at home ahead of time and rehydrated in camp. It was sooo good, now I'm not allowed on a trip without bringing the pizza fixings.

Grandpa

On a multi pack cub scout day hike, one of the leaders baked a pizza on her solar reflector oven. Turned out good, but I wouldn't want to pack her oven very far.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'd like to poles with collapsable "basket" things (the little discs by the feet). Without the discs they sink too far in loose or wet soil. With them, they get caught in the brush. If the feet disc "opened up" when you pushed down, and closed when you pulled up, no more discs in the way in underbrush. Right now I just pull the damn things off and leave them home.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Poles.. This got me thinking.. A light weight sectional pole for walking that can be converted (collapsed) to use as a handle for a short shovel, or fully extended used as a handle for a rake, three sections collapsed could be used as part of a frame for a bow saw or can become a handle for a light weight axe. Also, you might use it as a center pole for a gear tarp. I am sure there are a lot of items we carry that can become part of a more useful utility tool. Add a knife to the end of the pole and it can easily become a spear.

We all know that a 30 degree sleeping bag becomes a zero degree bag when you layer your clothes. Cotton T shirts can become an instant pillow with a simple pillow case. Fly's from an old tent become a compact and easy to pack tarp. We waste so much and throw away items that still have excellent gear buckles and carrying straps (Thrift stores are full of such items). We carry three knives, three flashlights and we are gone for three days. Do we need three stoves? three sharpening stones? Do we need our iPad, iPod AND our iPhone? our headphones and charging stations? our GPS as a back-up to our phone and compass? a wrist watch to back-up the time on our phone? A full collection of topographical maps of the USA? We duplicate so much of our gear, but never do we integrate and pool our resources. If you broke your trekking pole (using it foolishly in one of the activities listed above), you might have to make a new pole from something in the wild. That would be a horrible situation to be sure, but I would still like to be able to carry one handle that worked as a trekking pole AND as an adaptable utility handle. (So-to-speak).

They do make the following for other activities, but it obviously is not recommended for camping:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/telescoping stainless pole.do?code=FROOGLE&gclid=CjkKEQjwk9CcBRDEopHmnZa5td8BEiQAr2BckLaYii5uc2qfS7AHc99X816zwe_Vv0YOCoagTCEkXIDw_wcB

Even if you were to screw on a point attachment, it would probably be an infringement of copyright and intellectual property.

Guess we just need to bring a shovel, rake, hammer, broom, expandable center pole and axe.

Wheels? has anyone ever brought any wheels or perhaps a shortened, adaptable set of snow skis to move the heavier objects at a camp site?

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
The one thing that the US needs more of are the off-road type caravan campers popular in Australia, so Africa and a few other places. They are made for rough roads, well designed, and seem to always have lots of canvas for shade in hot weather. More teardrops would be nice.

The US RV industry specializes in huge rigs with multiple tvs, fireplaces, and washers and dryers. It would be nice to see more of the smaller, lighter rigs that can be pulled by an average vehicle. The industry is finally being forced to change, but fighting it the whole way.

shenmengxing

I want to by just set a tent on the roof of my house, so I can sleep on it in the evening, stay on the ground of shelter, sunlight and a temporary dwelling shed. Multi-purpose canvas, along with support, may at any time remove the transfer I have a friend who work in this online store www.welovenike.com , you can look for me, if you need help I contact him, as if there will be any discount

Pathfinder1

I want to by just set a tent on the roof of my house, so I can sleep on it in the evening, stay on the ground of shelter, sunlight and a temporary dwelling shed. Multi-purpose canvas, along with support, may at any time remove the transfer I have a friend who work in this online store www.welovenike.com , you can look for me, if you need help I contact him, as if there will be any discount

Hi...

Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream............!!!

Cappy

Well the back pack got heavy so I threw it in a canoe. The canoe got hard to paddle so I got a pop up for my stuff and a john boat with an out board for my canoe.
Bigger pop up and small bass boat with trolling motor boat too big:Yo: to skull.
Ultra light camper when pop up got too hard to set up. 18ft long 6 ft wide aluminum boat with 90 hp motor. Hopefully this is the end........but I kinda doubt it.

Cappy

Well the back pack got heavy so I threw it in a canoe. The canoe got hard to paddle so I got a pop up for my stuff and a john boat with an out board for my canoe.
Bigger pop up and small bass boat with trolling motor boat too big to skull.
Ultra light camper when pop up got too hard to set up. 18ft long 6 ft wide aluminum boat with 90 hp motor. Hopefully this is the end........but I kinda doubt it.:Yo:

ppine

Forester
After giving this thread some more thought, what I really miss are the old classic types of equipment that are hard to find. The old Swedish brass stoves like the Svea 123 and the Optimus 80 cost $8.95 in the 1970s. Now on eBay they cost $100 used. A Trapper Nelson costs a lot and the old ones are all used up by now. The old ways are the best ways.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I just thought of another great use for the teleportation device: get rid of annoying, loud, obnoxious campers. Better yet, how about an aimable time travel gun? You could send a bear back to its' infancy, a cougar into its' extreme old age. I know these examples are paradoxical, but time travel would be an excellent defensive weapon. When do I want it? That's rather irrelevant, isn't it?

tramp

It wont be long papa johns will deliver pizza to your campsite by drone. Take out your phone/camera/gps/television/computer/.....
Log in , order and in a few a drone will zero in on the location of your phone and presto...pizza !
Need a new tent pole, how about a new pair of boxers,( cause of what happend when you saw that snake,, hey , we have all been there ) just log into amazon and a drone will show up in a few min. With your stuff.
Just think about it,,, rei with drones ?!! Wow !
Crazy aint it ?