A laser pointer for sos is important for Camping?

Grandpa

Sure, aim your laser at a passing airplane then the FAA can send someone to arrest you. But a SPOT tracker or a Sat phone would be a much surer way to get help.

ppine

Forester
It is really important not to muck up the outdoors with laser pointers. I was in a popular campground last summer. One family had multiple lasers pointed in the trees, 2 Coleman lanterns, and they kept turning on their car headlights pointed right at us. Finally I pointed my truck headlights at their camp in self defense. It is light pollution and should be discouraged.

bsmit212

I agree with ppine. If you take it keep it to emergancy situations only. I would think a more visible light, like a bright flash light, would be a better option though as I feel like a lazer pointer might be hard to spot through the woods.

ponderosa

I don't think I've ever known a single person who hiked/camped with a laser pointer, so no, not important "gear" to have. The small emergency kit I carry when hiking/backpacking includes a loud whistle and a small mirror for attracting help should I need it.

Amanda R

@chiselcumings I just wanted to ask what laser pointer you are talking about. Some of those laser pointers that are talked about blinding pilots are stronger then the typical ones sold in most stores. Those have a limited range.

I do not think it would be that important, there are much better tools. A small mirror would reflect sunlight and not blind pilots would be something much better. Maybe someone more informed can answer how often air searches are conducted at night? I always hear on the news they are suspended at night.

oldsarge

If you can't afford a SPOT or SAT phone; go with a pocket strobe for night emergencies. During the day I'd try and use a signal mirror; pen flares are a good choice but you may run the risk of starting fires with them.

mccallum

A good flashlight should do the trick; some even have a strobe effect/flashing mood built into them. As others have said signal mirror/mirror and LOUD whistle for day time.

southerngal

A good flashlight with a strobe light setting would probably be much more effective than any kind of laser pointer. Particularly when it comes to camping and backpacking, I don't think it is necessary to have tools that only perform one basic function.