Big Agnes tents

ChadTower

After this discussion I picked up a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6. Long story short it's a 6 person 4 season tent. We ran into some serious storms last year so it became necessary to upgrade to a tent that could handle them.

My son and I did the practice run set up yesterday.

Initial impressesions are 100% positive. The poles are aluminum and color coded. Set up was easy as the poles arrange in a logical way. All the little things, like grommets for the pole ends to hook into, are well made. The rain fly uses a quick release buckle on the four corners in addition to the usual stakes around the perimeter. The "small gear area" in the back is not actually small. We fit a twin air mattress in that spot, and since there is a second door there, my wife's twice nightly trips to the bathroom won't result in stepped on people. The zippers don't get stuck at all as there is no nylon flap over the zippers (the rainfly keeps those areas covered).

One cool surprise feature is those little triangular windows. They're either closed with velcro or they open with a small rigid arm that folds out and holes the window open. Clever design.

We have our first 3 day trip this weekend and I'll come back next week to add a couple thoughts after living in it.

Last edited:

Bojib

I've only seen Big Agnes tents online, never in person. But, I also haven't been camping much in the past few years either.

They look well constructed in the ads, but all the tents do.

Most of the reviews seem to be good for them too.

I've been looking at getting a new three or four person tent, and I have a BA on the list.

ChadTower

First bit of useful info.

See how I have the rainfly rolled up by the two doors? Apparently you can't do that on the back door if it might rain. I had the tent up sunday night and it rained. The rolled up back door acted like a funnel and poured water into the back corner window. There was something like 10 ounces of water in the back corner. The rainfly opening in the back does not extend beyond the door like the front opening does. So, I guess the lesson here is that if you are leaving make sure to zip down the back door.

Or, if you might need some clean rainwater, get some that way with a funnel and a tube. :)

Eaglescout 49

After a lifetime of hand-me-downs, department store specials and (worst of all) U.S. Army shelter halves, I now have a Big House 6 from Big Agnes. It's 8x10 -- more than enough room for a double cot and all my gear and tall enough to stand up in. It's easy to set up; has all sorts of built-in storage and even has a sky window. I can set it up and take it down in minutes.

ChadTower

Okay, two trips in with this tent, under two dramatically different conditions.

Memorial day weekend I took the wife and boys out to Greenfield State Park. Weather report was bleak, but we always go anyway, and the weather report was right. We managed to get the tent set up before the rain but only by about a half hour. It then proceeded to downpour almost continuously for the next 48 hours. Temps were about 45 during the day and 35 at night. Serious rain shelter test. I didn't see one leak that wasn't the result of someone opening the door. At times it was like hanging out inside a snare drum but we were as dry as could be expected. Some decent 0 degree bags and all were warm through the rainy 35 degree night. We did have typical condensation inside the tent, especially under the sleeping bags, because of the 100% humidity. Can't batten down the hatches and avoid condensation. I am very happy with the performance over two cold and very rainy NH nights.

A few days later the boys and I set up camp at a campground by Weirs Beach, NH. Only a few days later we got four straight days of 85 degree days with intense sun and no clouds. High humidity. Much easier conditions. The heavy rainfly does make it hot in there when the sun is up and we still had some condensation under the bags. That was never an issue in our prior tent so I guess this one doesn't vent as well. It's a tradeoff going from a 2 season to 4 season tent. I'll have to get wider sleeping pads so that the whole width of the bag is up off the ground rather than just yourself.

So far we're loving this tent and after that cold and rainy trip we're confident this one can handle whatever the volatile NH weather throws at us.

NicholasDuMonde

The heavy rainfly does make it hot in there when the sun is up and we still had some condensation under the bags. That was never an issue in our prior tent so I guess this one doesn't vent as well. It's a tradeoff going from a 2 season to 4 season tent.
Great review and pictures. The condensation is exactly why I went for a 3-season tent (Marmot 2P), and when I have the money I'll get a 4-season (BA or Mountain Hardware probably), but only for that fourth season!

Last edited:

carmen

That would be something great to have for when we all head out. Where did you pick it up at? I am guessing even with great pictures it does not do it nearly enough justice.

Bojib

I just purchased a Big Agnes Buffalo Park Sleeping Bag, along with a Big Agnes Air Core Insulated Sleeping Pad that fits in a sleeve on the bag. Can't wait to get to try them out in a tent, and not just the living room floor.

Big Agnes looks to be some pretty good gear. Hope it turns out to be.

NWABYUCougar

I purchased a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree bag and a Q-core pad last fall and have been loving it. It is not quite as warm as I thought it would be but it is good for about 35 degrees to about 55 or 60. But I absolutely love it.. I never realized what a difference a good bag makes. I use to dread going to bed when camping because most air mattress never took care of the hard places like my hips or behind, even sleeping on a cot it was better but not great. Now though I sleep in my BA almost every weekend and I look for excuse to sleep in it. If the wife would not pout about sleeping alone I might sleep in it every night. I am thinking of getting one of the 40 or 45 degree bags from big Agnes to use as an over bag to allow me to be comfortable down to 15 to 20 degrees.
If they make their tents as good as their pads and bags I most likely will be buying a tent from them soon. I am looking at a 2 person or four person tent for backpacking something under 5 lbs.

ppine

Forester
I like the big Agnes company. I have one of their pads, but would consider one of their tents if mine wears out, or a new one is a lot lighter.

Blazer

I love Big Agnes tents. I used to be a fan of Eureka but after having dealing with broken zippers and what not I decided to invest in a Big Agnes Big House 4 with the optional vestibule and LOVE it. It's great for inclement weather as it gives me a place to sit when it's rainy and store my stuff. I can stand up in the tent, plenty of room and it's fairly easy to set up and take down. I also like that I can roll up the sides for maximum open space but it buttons down tight for cold and/or wet weather.

For backpacking I went with the BA Copper Spur UL1. Lightweight and VERY easy to set up and take down. Rather pricey but high quality and I love the side door.

Here are some pics: First one is the BA Big House 4 with vestibule and the other is my backpacking Copper Spur UL1

Attachments

sampaater

Big Agnes tents like the ultralight Fishhook, Fly Creek, and Copper Spur have also rack up awards. These tents uses designs that bring the weight of a backcountry shelter down to nearly unheard-of levels. On the other end of the weight spectrum, the Big Agnes Big House car camping tent provides ample room for a crowd of campers, and its Mine Mountain line of mountaineering tents offer protection from extreme weather.