Campers Behaving Badly

Blazer

Probably the worst situation: Again at Lake George.... I've camped many times at Lake George without incidents. It helped when we went during the week and reserved a site on a private island. In 2011 we had our fishing boat docked up there and would go camping about every 2 weeks. At the end of Sept, 2011 I went up alone, loaded up the boat and went out to one of the few islands that were still open.

Lake George closes the state island campground on Columbus Day weekend and this was the last weekend in September. By this point they close all the single site islands so I tried to pick a secluded spot on one of them multi-site islands. I got there on a Friday and at first was the only one on the island There was rain in the forecast so I set up my tent quickly. Just as I did so, 2 boats full of young guys pulled up.

Again it was the "If it wasn't for bad luck.." situation. :Doh: Lucky me, they were there to celebrate a Bachelor Party. Just them..about 10 dudes...and me on this island. And I happened to be all set up on the site right next to them. In hindsight I wish I'd just torn my tent down and threw everything in my boat and moved but it was late and the weather looked threatening so I stayed put. They seemed like nice guys at first. One guy even said that if they made too much noise to just let them know. I told them to keep it down to a dull roar and to try to turn down the volume after midnight. Famous last words.

All seemed ok, until about midnight. I could hear them talking and going about their business but it was just normal camper noise. Then I guess the alcohol content rose and so did the noise, along with the cursing and yelling obscenities. With great trepidation, I went over and politely asked them to please keep the noise down. Maybe the one guy I spoke to earlier had good intentions but his drunken buddies pretty much told me to "F-off". At this point I was acutely aware that I was a female, alone in the middle of the night with a bunch of drunks having themselves a bachelor party, with all that entailed and I didn't want to wind up as their "entertainment" for the night. I had told them that if they didn't keep it down I'd be calling the rangers but they pretty much carried on. So I beat a hasty retreat.

Fortunately I had my cell phone and cell service is pretty good in the Glen Island area of Lake George so I made my first call the ranger station. Notice I said "first". It was going to be a long night...:Frusty:

Seems the ranger went out there not once, but 2 and 3 times and made repeated requests for them to quiet down. It was storming now, raining and blowing. By 3:30 am the ranger told me that they had pretty much told HIM to go F-off as well! He was alone and told me that first thing in the morning he would be coming with the state marine police to forcibly throw them off the island but there was nothing he could do at that point and if things got worse to call him. He'd already gone out there twice so there was little that could be done until daybreak.

So I kept my knife at my side and tried to keep a low profile at this point. After listening until almost dawn to a string of cursing, shouting, yelling, along with a fight breaking out, I got about 2 hours of sleep. Early in the morning, I went out to my boat to make sure it was ok and sat under the canopy to watch the show. I had my 10" knife at my side and a big stick there and my phone at my side.

I didn't have long to wait until about 3 boats pulled up filled with armed rangers and police. They pretty much raided those a-hole's campsite and did everything short of lead them away in handcuffs. Suddenly they weren't so brave when facing 6 policemen with guns. They packed up under the watchful eye of the law. And I sat there and yes, I have to admit I gloated quite a bit at seeing them scrambling about, obviously in a hangover state, stuffing their stuff and gear into their boats in a rainstorm. Sometimes Karma is my friend. :Biggrin: It just took awhile...

The police came over to talk to my dock and I gave them my story. They saw that I had the knife and said nothing. They reassured me that the group was being charged and tossed off the campgrounds. Still I was nervous, being there by myself...wondering if they would come back at some point later on..I tried not to think too deeply about it.

When the first boat pulled out one of the guys starting shouting obscenities and threats at me, which I quickly informed the police about, so that must've got them into even more trouble.

When I spoke to the ranger later I was told that they were a local bunch and would not be allowed to camp there again for the foreseeable future. They were also served up with a long and expensive list of violations..from disturbing the peace, terroristic threats, threatening a ranger, etc, etc.. I was told that had it not been so late and stormy they would've all been arrested the night before.

I stayed there by myself. There was no one else on the island and I doubt anyone was in the entire campground besides me and the ranger. The weather was completely cruddy. It had been forecast to stop raining and clear up but that didn't happen. Instead, the wind blew and it rained on and off all day and the weather report went from bad to worse. I finally came to the conclusion that this trip wasn't meant to be.

So I cut my trip short, packed up and barely got out there myself because conditions on the lake were so bad. The rangers kindly rescheduled my trip for the following week, when the storm was forecast to blow out and a huge dome of high pressure come in. I went back home, worked a few days and came back for the following week from Wed-Monday, over Columbus Day weekend, the last week the campgrounds would officially be open. The weather was glorious then..Sunny and warm. I got an even better site and had no issues or problems.

As usual, from Wed-Friday I had the place pretty much to myself. That weekend the weather was more like August then October..warm and sunny. The lake was filled both campers and day trippers but it was a civil, happy crowd. I was there to the last day you could legally camp there and it made up for the miserable time I'd endured the week before.

That was to be one of the last times I camped at Lake George so at least it ended on a good note. I brought cookies in for the rangers on my return trip and thanked them for all their help. I've found that the rangers at NYS campgrounds to be nice people in general and that was one time they really came through. :Thumb:

Unfortunately this wasn't the last time I dealt with bad situations. I could go on and on...There was the time on the Delaware River that my family stayed at a campground that allowed pets and the family tied their dog outside their tent and just LEFT, leaving the dog to bark for hours at a time. I will say that the majority of pet owners are good about keeping their pets quiet but it only takes a few inconsiderate ones to ruin everyone else's good time. Hate to say it, when I see that a campground doesn't allow pets (Lake George and most campgrounds in NJ are like this), it's a big plus. It's not so much that I dislike dogs. Quite the opposite. It's the inconsiderate, idiot owners that are the problem.

But the world is what it is. In the past few years I've made a real attempt to preserve my sanity by scheduling trips during the week. Arriving mid week and leaving on Fridays or Saturday. If I do camp on a weekend I expect the worst and hope for the best.

One big reason for me going from car camping to backpacking and primitive kayak camping is to get away from crowded campgrounds. Fortunately I actually like cold weather and don't mind freezing temperatures and have upgraded my gear so that I plan to take trips in the fall into winter, when most vacationers are back to work and the kids are in school. Fortunately with backpacking there are more options for camping and I look forward to exploring them.

But my ultimate solution will be to finally move away from the most densely populated area of the country and go to where there really is a "wild"-erness..One can only hope.

Last edited:

southerngal

You are one brave lady Blazer. I don't know that I would have wanted to stay there alone after the first incident with the ranger. I am absolutely with you on finding places to camp that are well away from the crowds though.

Blazer

Thanks for the good word! :) Well, I don't know how brave I was. The group was thrown off the island and it poured and blew all day. By the end of the day I'd decided I'd had enough and left the following morning.

Karma smiled on me. I was able to reschedule the rest of the days I paid for for the following week and it was beautiful all week!

I probably shouldn't take half the chances I take. I guess I'm just used to going at it alone. Been doing it for years. I've always been a lone wolf. I just came back from a week long vacation up at Indian Lake. Camped alone on an island. No problems. I had the whole northern part of the lake to myself. Now THAT'S camping in my book. It was awesome. :Thumb:

carmen

I don't think we have had to deal with something like this either. I know there are crazies out there in the world but anytime we hike or camp I consider others out there to be both respectable to nature as well as others who are out enjoying it. Sorry to hear this happened to you too.

ArkansasMom

There is a camping place local here. We refuse to go there. The people there are absolutely crude and it is literally like Spring Break all the time. Sad that people have to ruin it for others. The area is absolutely gorgeous too. I wish people had a bit more decency.

Atehequa

Then you wonder about those who are seemingly 'greenhorns' and always need assistance with or lacking something or another.

Some eight years ago a friend and I were camping at Sherando Lake where we encountered a trio of extremely needy campers.

The two of us had returned from a half day of hiking and noticed our new neighbors in the next campsite over. A middle aged fellow, his wife and her younger sister whom upon our arrival back to camp approached us. "You guys know anything about setting up tents?"

Most always willing to help fellow campers to an extent, we assisted them, or should I say set up two dome tents, one large and one small. The next three days we were asked to 'assist' them in making a decent fire, cooking and when the sudden downpour of rain came that Saturday night, they crowded under our rain tarp rather than be confined in their tents. The next morning they invited themselves to accompany us on our hike.

Attending to these seemingly inexperienced campers, we began to feel like free outdoor guides or at the least servants.

Blazer

You are a much nicer person than I am! I'm amazed you put up with that. I know I wouldn't. I'm just not that friendly. I might've helped with them with their tents about after that I'd either tell them to keep to their own campsite or moved myself. I have very little tolerance these days for people who invade my space. I go camping to get away from other people, chores, etc and that situation just wouldn't sit well with me at all.

Blazer

IMO, people who invade your space, whether they be noisy or "helpless/needy" in a friendly way are rude, whether it's intentional or not. I don't think people who are noisy are intentionally doing it. They just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. I think the needy people are the same though it's not as obvious.

Some people will put up with it and have a ruined vacation. I work hard to take my time off and have fun. I value my time and don't want it taken from me or my fun ruined so I draw a definite line in the sand. Step over that line and I have no problem being rude back.

Blazer

There is a camping place local here. We refuse to go there. The people there are absolutely crude and it is literally like Spring Break all the time. Sad that people have to ruin it for others. The area is absolutely gorgeous too. I wish people had a bit more decency.
Most campsites are like this on the weekends. It's why I started taking weekdays off to go camping/hiking/kayaking. It's why I started backpacking to so I could camp in the woods, not be corralled into a space with dozens of other people. It's why I'm going to try winter camping this year as well. No bugs, no people to bug me.

ppine

Forester
Blazer,
I feel sorry for you. Maybe you can find a different place to live, or take trips further from home. Usually one vigorous day of hiking or kayaking 10 miles and 2 portages gets rid of the rude people.

I am incredulous that you would confront a bunch of drunk men as a single woman with a knife. That is much worse than Stms story. Please rethink you approach and never do that again.

In 90 % of places that people recreate in the West there is no ranger to call, and no one is coming to help you especially on an island at 0300.

Last edited:

Blazer

Reread my story about that incident: I didn't confront anyone with a knife. I went over and asked them to be quiet and I certainly wasn't carrying a knife! They refused and were rude so I called the ranger and let them handle it. I did not go near them, threaten or confront them after that, with or without a knife. I"m not crazy! I stayed away from that group but they were on the next campsite until they were forcibly removed the next morning by the rangers. Until they were removed I was carrying my knife with me and the next morning I was sitting on my boat and was prepared to use it, especially after one of them called out threats and obscenities as I was sitting there. But I didn't confront them. I did tell the police what they said, which was added to their already long list of charges.

Personally I think I handled it well. It was stormy and at night, so I couldn't just leave. I called the ranger and let them handle it right to the very end. I never engaged them after my first request that they please be quiet. The rangers were there first thing in the morning to remove them.

As for me finding a different place to live. That is a definite. As soon as my kids are graduated from school in 2016 I'm outta here! I make frequent trips an hour or two away from home to get away from it all. Backpacking has been a great way to separate from the masses. I wish I could go further but gas and time is a factor and now that my son is living at home with me I don't want to be completely out of touch. But I try and get away when I can, often once/week if the weather permits. Even for a day or two it makes a big difference.

There are just too many people living in this area of the country. Have hated it for decades but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ppine

Forester
Your knife is irrelevant. You confronted a bunch of drunk men. You are female and were by yourself. Don't do stupid things around stupid people. This one could have turned out badly. Never rely on the law in the backcountry.

Wehan

Not sure what being female has to do with it. Stop being so sexist. Thoes drunk men could just as easily taken advantage of another man just as easily as a women or a poor lost mountain goat for that matter. Your beliefs as far as women clearly belong in the 40's.

Blazer

Your knife is irrelevant. You confronted a bunch of drunk men. You are female and were by yourself. Don't do stupid things around stupid people. This one could have turned out badly. Never rely on the law in the backcountry.
What are you? My father? :Doh: :Pound: I walked over to a bunch of guys at the next campsite after being TOLD by one of them that "if we get too noisy let us know" and asked them NICELY to be quiet. They refused so I went away, called the ranger station and let THEM handle it. I didn't confront them again. In fact, I went OUT OF MY WAY to stay away from them. I'd say that was about as prudent as it gets and if I was a man you'd have nothing to say about this at all, eh?

I guess I'm not supposed to leave my kitchen with shoes on since I'm just an itty bitty helpless female. :Hurt: Yeah, a woman who lived in New York City (that's Manhattan), runs her own business, has raced a sports cars (as well as worked on them), driven all over the country ALONE, gone 4 wheeling/rock crawling and yes, even has the temerity and nerve to go camping, hiking and kayaking ALONE. ALL without the help of a big strong dude like yourself. :Rolleyes2: How did I survive the last 30 years being so reckless? To think I even went to frat parties and bars when I was younger....:Loco:

I don't need to be lectured like I'm some sort of prepubescent child who doesn't know any better. Why don't you let it rest already? You are starting to sound like a naggy old lady. Seriously..

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Okay do what you want. You wouldn't still be posting long paragraphs about it if it didn't bother your. Sarcasm is rarely useful on forums.

I have worked with women in the outdoors for decades. I have a high level of respect for them as a group and as individuals.

What is relevant about being female is rape. One in five women in this country get raped in their lifetimes.

ppine

Forester
I have some experience with powerful, confident women and used to be married to one. She got an MBA, she wore tailored clothes. She could bench press more than her weight. She was passed over for several promotions because she said "I don't have a dick." I coached her on things like sports and how to deal with men. We finally divorced after 18 years because she was not much fun to be around with that giant chip on her shoulder. Later she made over 1 million dollars in one year. I have no regrets for not being around to see any of it. This story has some things in common with the one told above in two parts.

ponderosa

Well I've read that three times now. I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to infer about Blazer by referring to this little description of your ex-wife. In fact, I have no idea what exactly you wish us to conclude from that last post at all. That tailored clothing and a college degree equate to "having a chip on your shoulder" if you're female? That you have great respect for women, unless they happen to be too confident and successful for your liking? What is the acceptable limit for women to bench press before it becomes a negative trait?

Blazer

We finally divorced after 18 years because she was not much fun to be around with that giant chip on her shoulder..
Yeah, there must not have been much room in your home with both of you having those giant chips on your shoulders..I can see that..I can only imagine what SHE has to say about YOU..

Probably something like.."I don't have a dick, I just live with one". :Pound: :Blah: :Boink: :Bounce:

Now can we PLEASE get :Focus: :Focus::Focus::Focus::Focus:

BTW, I tend to write long paragraphs. It's what I do. Something that happened 3 years ago doesn't exactly keep me up at night and it was FIXED. It was just a good example of "Campers Behaving Badly", which is what I thought this thread was about! I didn't expect to be lectured on how I behaved, which I still think was quite reasonable. I asked a group of loud people to PLEASE be quiet and when they didn't comply I called the ranger. Excuuuseee me! :Doh::Noidea:

Don't bother replying to or at me because I've had enough. Consider yourself "ignored.". Handy little feature if I do say so...

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Ponderosa,
We have corresponded lots of times on many subjects. I will try to respond to you. Some women jump at the chance to accuse men of being sexist. They have something to prove all the time, hence the chip on the shoulder reference.

I really like confident, smart women. I have always been attracted to them. My ex-wife is a great lady but she got so caught up in competing with men, and being compulsive about it, that was all she cared about. When women try to be more macho than every man they meet it rarely turns out well.

I was making reference to Blazer's willingness to confront a bunch of drunk men in a place where she could get no help. That is dangerous for anyone, especially a woman. That is the type of thing macho women do because they are fearless and they can be aggressive about it.

ponderosa

OK, I've known some women who carry a chip on their shoulder and are overly-sensitive to feminist issues, and I don't enjoy their company either. I'll take your word for it that your former spouse fits that description. I just wanted to make the point that women can be very successful, independent, well-educated, smart, fit, confident etc and NOT meet that description. Those traits are irrelevant to the "chip-on-their-shoulder" in my opinion. And I don't see much in Blazer's posts here to justify accusing her of being a "macho aggressive" type honestly. I thought her first response to you was pretty reasonable and friendly in tone, and in the second I can understand why she was getting a bit defensive. She asked them nicely to keep it down, after having had a reasonable conversation with at least one of them earlier in the evening. When they proved themselves to be jerks, she then avoided them and took whatever self-protective measures she could. She wasn't confrontational, and she wasn't brandishing a knife, and she felt a bit defensive about your repeated criticism. It was a crappy situation, but her handling of it doesn't seem that outlandish to me. Obviously you disagree.