Ever thought of backpacking across Europe?

cabinfever

I guess this is a pretty popular idea with young people today, usually over the summer before going off to college. Apparently, it's today's version of 'doing the continent'. I'd never be able to do this now, given my age and the fact that I have a family and responsibilities, but I'm kind of envious of those who have this chance. I think it would be an experience of a lifetime.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I've read about it, and it seems they have a vastly different view of backpacking than I do. They're staying in towns and hostels every night and renting cars, taking trains and such... whereas to me, "backpacking across Europe" sounds like a long ass hike.

Grandpa

If it were a true backpack across Europe, (like Theosus referred to) then I'd rather take my chances backpacking across Alaska. I think putting yourself out in the open all across Europe just may be more dangerous than across Alaska. Nope, neither for me.

That is to say, I would love to backpack many places in Europe, but not the places in between the good stuff.

stealth

I would have to agree... I have too many responsibilities now! And even then I wouldn't have the funds to support such a trip. If my situation were different and I had the opportunity, then definitely! I would love to see Europe, while living out of my backpack.

CozInCowtown

Kinda been there, done that.
Just buy a EuroPass and ride the trains. It is like a bus pass but you just get on whatever train you want and get off where you want.
Now that Europe is the EU you do not have to show passport at every country you pass through.
Only take a backpack with a single change of clothes.
Sleep on the train and get off in the morning and explore.
3 star motels every other night for a bath and wash clothes.
We would just get on the first train that came along, didn't matter where it was going mostly, and get off anywhere that looked or sounded interesting.
Many times we would wake up in the morning, get off the train at the next stop and say "Where fugawee?"....."Who Cares!!"
All we had to be is back at the airport on a specific date to return home.
Europe is a fun destination, just don't be an American Tourist A$$ like too many have done before you.
If you can get a visa beforehand, Russia is a fun destination also!!

DC

ppine

Forester
In the 60s and 70s this idea was very popular because Europe was cheap. Now it is much more expensive than the US especially in northern Europe.

The wildness has been systematically beat out of Europe for thousands of years. They like to be within a day's walk of a bed and a meal. Backcountry is hard to find there. Like Cowz eluded to, it is one big train ride and hostel trip with some hotels thrown in.

It is fun at 20, but a lot of work at 60. Save your money and do your backpacking here where we are fortunate enough to have the most beautiful backcountry in the world.

Rosepetals

I am not sure. I am sure it would be a beautiful experience, but I am not sure if I would be able to live out of my backpack!

featherloosa

I couldn't ever afford the ability to backpack across Europe (or any country) back when I was in school, but I always wanted to! I think the biggest concern has always been- where to stay? After you watch that movie Hostel, you don't have a big desire to stay in places in like that.

vinovampire

No. Backpacking through Europe has never really appealed to me. I prefer wilderness backpacking. If I'm going to take a chunk of time to travel, I'd rather explore the wilderness areas of the USA.

Also, I'm not sure how popular it is among US students anymore, since it's so expensive. I've had friends travels to South American and Southeast Asia, but only a few travel to Europe, and those young people were often traveling to a specific country.

I'd be interested in going back to Europe to explore again, but like the times I've been in the past, I would pick a specific area and spend a few weeks in one region of one country to really get a feel for the place. I'd rather get a solid understanding of a region than go on a whistle-stop tour.

When I went to Italy, rather than stay in a hotel or hostel, I stayed in a convent with nuns. I think it might be one of the best kept secrets of traveling Europe. Since the numbers of nuns and monks has been on the decline, these places can have rooms open to travelers. In the heart of Rome, I had my own room and bathroom to myself for something like 20 euros a night, which included breakfast. It was nicer than a few hotels I looked at for 225 euros a night. And clearly it was much nicer than sleeping and hanging out in a bunkhouse... er, hostel.

If I went back to Europe, I'd go to back to the Province of L'Aquila in Abruzzo. There were some interesting rural and mountain areas to explore. Amazing history, culture and food. And a good place to wander in the outdoors.

Blazer

If my daughter relocates to Europe for a job I could see going with her and exploring. Other than that I plan to stay here in the U.S. and stick to the backcountry, maybe venture into Canada.

Europe is no longer cheap and Americans aren't exactly loved around the world either. I'd be careful about where I go. I also hate crowds so I can't see doing hiking that involves staying in towns and hostels constantly.

Nature25

Backpacking across Europe never really appealed to me. I can't imagine just taking a backpack, with only necessities in it all while being in another country and not sure of where you're going. I'm a planner and when I'm that far away from home I like to be more prepared.

Charlotte

This would be an absolute dream of mine. I don't think it will ever be possible for me. I can't pick up and leave my two-year old. I had a friend who did this recently and she loved it. She got this train pass thing that really helped her.