Bowhunting for Wild Pigs

HardyC

A friend of mine wants me to go pig hunting with him. I've shot pigs before with a rifle but never with a bow. Are there any pointers on how to purse the pigs, where the best shot placement is, or how to track it down once it's been shot?

ppine

Forester
Hardy,
I would rethink this one. Wild pigs are aggressive and run in groups. They have equipment. Hunting them is pretty easy. They feed in groups and you can bait them in most states because they cause problems. A blind would be ideal over bait. Shoulder/ lung shots. Hit them when they are stationary with their heads down. Pass on long shots and awkward shots, because they will head for the brush if wounded. I would carry a revolver if hunting with a bow.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I hadn't seen this post until today or I would have answered. Ppine is right about those hogs being dangerous. But what you want to be is: quick. Do not hunt these beasts with a compound bow. They're powerful but they are slow. A longbow or a recurve will allow you to shoot three to one against a compound. I've done it If you sink three arrows into a hog, he might still be dangerous but if you have a .22 pistol when he gets up close, he's toast.