2014 Foliage Reports

vinovampire

The 2014 fall foliage season seems to be in full swing here in northern New England. According to the foliage maps and my own sightseeing, the leaves seem to be nearing peak along the Green Mountains in Vermont as of the weekend of Sept 27/28, 2014. If you're planning a trip to see the leaves, this week or next weekend would be the time to come for a visit!

How are the foliage conditions in your area of the country? Any advice for fellow trekkers and travelers? Happy "leaf peeping" and cider doughnut season!

View from Mt Hunger, VT looking northeast towards New Hampshire, September 27, 2014

View from Mt Hunger, VT heading south toward White Rock Mt on September 27, 2014

Cappy

We are currently at our NY base camp, helping the son out. Yesterday we went day tripping around canandaigua in the finger lake region. It was grape festival weekend so we had fun sampling little grape pies. Took alot of pictures of just turning foilage and hope to get them on line soon. i- speed still sux. Oh and fiesting on macs, honey crisps, cortlands and concord grapes. Of course too many glasses of cider and doughnuts. I miss being home in bayou country but if ya gotta be somewhere western ny this week is like paradise. Now if we can leave before I need those wool socks you yankees are always bragging about it will be an epic trip.

Blazer

I was up in the Adirondacks at Indian Lake a few weeks ago.
10649503_291780454350181_2097966425133526643_n.jpg This pic was taken around Sept 18. The leaves were just starting to think turning so I'd it would be peak there now.

Down here on the Jersey Shore it'll be a few more weeks. It's too warm but I'm hoping to get to upstate NY to Harriman or the Catskills by the end of this week to do some hiking and see some foliage.

Blazer

Happy "leaf peeping" and cider doughnut season!

View from Mt Hunger, VT looking northeast towards New Hampshire, September 27, 2014

View from Mt Hunger, VT heading south toward White Rock Mt on September 27, 2014
You are so lucky! I wish my part of the world looked like that. 2 weeks ago, I spent a week in the Daks with temps in the 60s daytime/40 night and loved it. Felt like fall. Not so on the Jersey Shore. Yesterday I spent the day at the beach in my bathing suit like it was August. It was beautiful but I'm done with summer! Today is hot and humid. Ugh. I'm ready for fall. I plan to run up north later this week in search of autumn like weather and fall foliage.

vinovampire

And... it's a wrap! Foliage season is pretty much done in my neck of the woods. We're actually getting snow and ice now in the higher elevations. Any foliage that is remaining will most likely get knocked down by the rain this week. Overall, I think we just had our best foliage season in 10+ years--great reds, oranges and yellows!

I hope some good foliage colors are showing up for those of you a little further south! Enjoy it while it lasts.

View from 3,900' in Vermont on October 20, 2014

ppine

Forester
I returned from the 8,000 feet level in the Sierras on Sunday. We were up in the alpine zone of Shasta red fir, white fir, lodgepole pine, and mountain hemlock. A northern goshawk flew past the noon campfire. Red fir seeds were raining down on us and I discovered a flock of evening grosbeaks feasting on the upright fir cones 110 feet in the air.

In the lower zone around 7,000 and below the valleys are still in the their glory of yellow and orange aspens. The willows are red and pale yellow. The black cottonwoods are yellow. A few mountain shrubs are red. The resort on the way home of small logs buildings was full of urbanites out enjoying the splendor. The fall in the Sierras and Nevada in general has warm days and cold nights. The weather is almost always clear. It is very visual and it is worth living around here all year just for the month of October.

Simplify

I lived in Massachusetts for 20 years and had previously thought that nothing rivaled New England autumns.

After moving to Arizona I would say that fall in the west is comparable to New England. In NE you have fall foliage against a backdrop of quaint covered bridges and New England towns. In the west you have fall foliage against the backdrop of spectacular desert and canyon scenery.

Foliage in AZ will last into late November as well. A longer viewing season.

vinovampire

@Simplify The last time I was in Arizona was February of 2002. I'll never forget all the spring colors in the desert outside of Tucson. I imagine the fall colors are pretty spectacular too. Good to know about for future travels. Maybe I'll go to AZ next year over the Thanksgiving break.