Good starter tents

Now that he's moved back into the area, my brother and his family have voiced interest in going camping. They're new to it, though, and they're not sure where to start as far as equipment. He wants to go all out with it, though. What would you all recommend as a good tent for a family of four?

vinovampire

Assuming that your brother and his family will be car camping, you might want to suggest something big and versatile like the REI Kingdom series. They're kind of cool because you get a nice, big space with some netting too. I've had two REI tents that I love and borrowed a big 6-person one from a friend for over a month in 2012. Big Agnes is another solid manufacture, as suggested above.

Depending on the ages of the kids, he might want to consider one big, main tent and separate, smaller kids tent. Or another option might be a big tent and a mesh bug tent for the nights when the mosquitoes are biting.

No matter what kind of tent they buy, make sure that the salespeople set it up with him at the store. The three outdoor stores I shop at all have their sales people walk you through the setup process, and give you tips and tricks. For example, sometimes you will need to buy extra guylines or better stakes. At some campsites with hard ground a plastic mallet can be the difference between a nice, tight staking job and a frustrating, painful task. Whatever you do, you do not want his first time setting up a tent being at dusk at the campsite.

If any other questions come up, ask away! If he's thinking backcountry camping, that might be a whole different set of questions.

Awesome advice for basic camping! Thanks. I'll make sure to pass it on. The tip about making sure he can set it up was amazing. I didn't even think of that.

ponderosa

The REI Kingdom tents are a good suggestion. Look for anything with aluminum poles (fiberglass break/split very easily, especially on bigger tents), bathtub floors (seams are lifted a few inches above ground level), factory taped seams on the floor and rain fly, and full-length rain fly that covers all zippers and seams completely. Avoid fiberglass poles and skimpy umbrella-type rain flies that extend only half way down the tent body. Those tents are cheaper, but won't keep you dry and probably won't last very long.

TDale

Totally a matter of budget. They can start at something like Texsport and go up through Alps, Coleman, Kelty, and on through all the brands at REI and Campmor, while searching for deals at places like Sierra Trading Post, ending up somewhere like Cabela's big canvas tents and Springbar.

Conditions also play into the decision. Where will they be camping? Car-camping or backpacking? What seasons?

Nature25

I have always used Coleman tents. They are inexpensive but reliable. They have a special weatherproof system that keeps you dry in the rain and the poles are sturdy enough to withstand the wind. This would be a good place for someone new to camping to start.

dirtshaman

I've always preferred Sierra Designs tents (I own 3). The thing I like about Sierra Designs tents is that they are sharp looking, engineered well, and are priced respectably. I also know that Warranty is a non-hassle with this company. I just recently picked up a Kelty Trail Bivy. A Bivy sack is great if you are looking to do a cross country trip and want to cut down on weight/room.