Teaching Kids To Fish

ArkansasMom

Those of you with kids, when did you start teaching them to fish? We have a two year old and we've bought him a pole. We haven't done anything with it, though. We just let him play with it when we are at the lake. We've also got a tie for the boat, that way he can't toss it over. I know he isn't ready yet. I'm just wondering when others have started teaching their kids to fish.

Woodland

I tried but mine don't seem too interested. It depends on the child and his level of curiosity. If he seems to be interested in your fishing. I started with my grandpa at around 7 or 8. He knew I wouldn't drop the fishing rod in the water at that age and could hang on when I caught a big fish.

Grandpa

I agree with Woodland, depends on the child. My youngest daughter was an avid fisherman by 3. The rest, not so much, ever.

Cappy

Teaching kids to fish is an especial joy of mine. When a kid is fishing ya know they aren't running the roads and getting into mischief, along with fishing comes an appreciation of the natural world, and of God who made it happen. So ya are teaching much more than fishing. Also there are many levels to fishing and ya can teach almost any kid to enjoy it if ya make it fun and interesting enough.

Nature25

I taught my niece how to fish when she was six. I tired taking her when she was younger but she really wasn't interested in it. I completely agree that it depends on the child. They will let you know if they are ready or not. In the mean time, just take him with you and have fun.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My daughter started fishing when she was two (almost three). I had to cast for her. She didn't master that until she was five. And, I never let her bait her own hook until she was five for obvious reasons.
She caught her first fish, the biggest we caught that day, held it up and said "I catchy fish!". It was priceless.

ppine

Forester
My Dad says that I caught more fish as the age of 3 than probably any other year of my life. He was a college professor then and we went out all the time to a place called Badger Lake in eastern WA. I used salmon eggs from a boat. Many people seem to be born with the interest in fish, and some never get it. I have plenty of 40-60 old friends that are kids not old enough to fish.