Found a wounded bird, need to keep it safe for the night, any suggestions?

featherloosa

I was coming back home from walking a short little trail near my house when I noticed a starling acting strangely in the middle of the path. It looked frazzled, but when I came near, all it did was breath hard and heavy and lean to one side.

Being the animal lover that I am, I ran back to my house to get some gloves and an empty cardboard box. I don't see any visible injuries, but it's still acting strange. I took it back home with me if only to keep the cat population from having a feast on the poor thing. Only for a night. Tomorrow I'll see who I can contact about this.

My issue is that I have dog that LOVES birds. As in eating them. The only feasible place it could spend the night would be my garage, but I don't know the first thing about keeping a wild bird, or what it might need. It's also going to get rather cold tonight...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ppine

Forester
I would kill a starling given a chance. They are introduced nuisance birds from Europe.

I had a hummingbird knock herself out on a big window one summer evening. I had her in the palm of my hand with all of that green radiant beauty. I sprinkled some water in her face and she woke up, became alert and flew away. I will never forget it.

ponderosa

Starlings are the invasive noxious weeds of the bird world, and ill birds are likely to be infected with west nile virus or some other icky disease. It probably would be better not to interfere with nature in this case.
You're a nice person though.

featherloosa

Hehe, I can't help it, I like all animals, and never had a problem with starlings. They never bothered me none besides chasing away other birds who could use some birdseed in the winter. Thankfully, I think it was just dazed. I don't know how- won't even question it, but it was flapping and squawking when I woke up in the morning, so I just let it go without a peep.