Carrying Water

Charlotte

On a recent trip, we took up in the mountains, we realized we didn't carry enough water on us. I'm wondering what everyone else uses to carry their water? We thought we had brought enough. I was considering buying a water backpack but I thought that might be a bit hard to hike with. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Grandpa

The expert "they" people recommend a liter an hour while strenuous hiking/backpacking. I find I can go a little farther than that, about 2 hours/liter max. A bladder in a pack is a convenient way to carry 2-4 liters but I still prefer bottles so I can monitor my intake better. Water is heavy so I carry a filter so I can use what is already where I am going. I seldom have to carry more than 1-2 liters but I always check water availability before I leave. in some places, I have had to carry as much as 3 gallons and that is not fun.

Cappy

I always figure 1 gallon per person per day. That's enough for coffee drinking and cooking with enough left over for a lil hygiene. How ya carry it or get it is so varied I'll just say use your head plan in advance and do not pass up a good source even if you think you dont need it.

vinovampire

I carry as little water as possible, as long as I'm familiar with the trustworthy water sources in that area. Each liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs, so it adds up quickly. As @ppine suggested, I carry water treatment drops and collect water as I go during the warm summer months. During the winter, if you can't find running water, you can always melt ice or snow. Ice is preferable because it contains much less air, which means you get a larger amount of water faster.

Unless I'm in a desert or high desert area, I never carry more than 3 liters. And that's typically when I know I'm going to be traveling along a ridgeline with little chance of finding a stream.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
If I don't know the area I carry extra. Otherwise I carry 2-3 liters, with the ability to carry 3 more, plus a water filter. Have seen many people walking around 5 miles from the nearest trailhead with half a liter of water and just want to say what the heck. There's a trail near here where you are on a ridge for 4 hours with no water. We carry 5 to 6 liters there if overnighting. If you see boy scouts they usually have the biggest adult with a pack with nothing but water, usually 5 or more gallons. I do not want to be that guy.
A Sawyer Squeeze filter is $30 and weighs 4 ounces. That takes away almost every reason for why someone can't buy a filter.