Winter is Coming... so go Hiking!

vinovampire

Over the past few months, there has been a fair bit of discussion on this forum about winter hiking. Now that we're approaching the winter hiking season, I thought it might be fun to start sharing some of our experiences and adventures as the 2014/2015 season begins. If you have stories, great! If you have pictures, great! The idea with this thread is to get everyone excited for a great season of winter hiking. Here in the northeast we're supposed to get a good bit of snow tonight, so I'm really looking forward to the next few days.

Just over a week ago, a few buddies and I went out for a nice, wintery-feeling hike. We did a nice, moderate loop to the summit of Mt Mansfield in Vermont and back down. It was a nice, quiet day. We ran into two friendly couples near the summit, but otherwise got to enjoy a nice, peaceful hike.

Snow Falling as We Ascend a Rock Wall, November 2014

Light at the the Tunnel, November 2014

Summit of Mt Mansfield, VT in November 2014

One the way down, we did have to make a sketchy jump across "The Gap", which is a short ledge jump. I don't mind it too much during the summer, but I'm not a fan when there's ice and snow on the ground. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't want to break anyone's concentration.

This hike really got me excited for more snow and ice, and lots of winter hikes and ski trips! Get other there and enjoy yourselves!

:hiker1:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Capital idea! Since it's Thanksgiving I think I'm going to go out for a morning hike in the freshly fallen snow and give thanks.

vinovampire

Before Thanksgiving dinner, my friends and I took our dogs for a walk in the woods. It was outstanding! The dogs tired themselves out, and we worked up a big appetite. Nothing better than wandering through the woods and along the streams on beautiful, quiet, snowy day.

Bounding Through the Fresh Snow on Thanksgiving Day 2014

vinovampire

@Cappy HA! :fire5: Is it getting any colder down south?? Did you have to change from a tank top to a short sleeve shirt? How cold does it get to in your neck of the woods?

We ended up standing around the old fire pit too... but the background scenery and our clothing choices may have been a bit different. The hot cocoa & whiskey warmed things up as much as the fire.

Lighting of the Thanksgiving Fire, 2014

vinovampire

What great shots, nice country.Rarely get to hike in snow in Alabama.
We get a choice here in the winter. Hike in 38 and rain or 15-25 and damp.
I really enjoy the snow that we get here in the northeast. It can be rough on people, but when you're prepared for the cold, snowy conditions, it's wonderful. At the beginning of the 2014/15 winter season we were having an odd mix of really cold days and overly warm days, but things seems to be shaping up quite well now. We've finally developed a nice base of snow and the skiing has gotten pretty good!

Some Fresh Snow in the Mountains, January 25, 2015

@Gunny Webb Are people hiking and camping much right now in your neck of the woods? What are some of the major wintertime outdoor activities in Alabama and the surrounding areas?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I went hiking through our freshly fallen 16 inches today. It was pretty awesome. The landscape was beautiful, especially the conifers. Not much game activity but that will all change in the next day or so. It just goes to show you that no weather is perfect. All of it is if you are prepared for it.

Cappy

It was 82 degrees for Christmas and although we were camping it was so incredibly humid we pretty much stayed in the camper all day running the AC. Between rain showers I went out to make sure nothing floated away. We had a most joyous time, Praying coking listening to Christmas music and playing racko, while enjoying some Christmas cheer. Hows that fr winter camping.:beer3:

MacGyver

Well... I can't hike anymore, but I still go crazy waiting for the snow to hit so I can get out in it. Winter camping has charms all its own. It's quiet because most people don't go out in the cold, much less when there's snow on the ground. Me? I like it when you can hear snowflakes hitting the bare trees and the moon lights up the night with a soft glow. There are no bugs, no dust and few, if any, critters walking around. No need for ice runs every other day and huge fires make for a great trip!

Roybrew

Single digits here in east tn. Had a few flakes the other day eh. I love it when it snows big time. We don't get much here, but when we do my wife and I will get out in it. Winter before last we had a alot ice from freezing rain, and we could here trees breaking in the mtn behind our house. Not good camping weather around here this time of year. Wet and yuck.

MacGyver

The weather forecast here says to expect a major storm this weekend like we had in 2010. That was two back-to-back storms that dumped three feet of snow on us. If the temperature doesn't rise too much in the following week, I'll probably be out in it the following weekend. Fingers crossed!

Grandpa

Not enough snow yet here for snow caves so we took the boys in to a forest service cabin last week. Good food, dry beds and a warm fire made for a good outing.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It finally got cold here and there is ice on the lake. A buddy asked me if I wanted to go ice fishing but I've never been a big fan. This was my suggestion:

icefishin.jpg

Wildside

"The Wild side of life. It calls my name."
The dogs and I love to go hiking in the snow. High energy dogs spend almost all of their energy there, and it gives you a good workout in the thighs and calves. Not to mention it's absolutely stunning.