Was this right?

jason

fear no beer
So a friend told me he was shore fishing the other day. Three people came up and asked him how the fishing was. He showed them a few fish he caught. The three then proceeded to wade in front of him where he was casting and start fishing. Over a mile of beach with not many on there and that is where they fished.

Were they right to fish there or since he was already there should they have tried a different area?

Bojib

I've had something similar happen to me before.

I was a lake fishing from the bank (shoreline). I caught a couple of pretty decent sized bass from my spot. Next thing I know the boat that was fishing across the lake on the other bank was coming towards me. Asked if I was catching anything and I told them a couple, obviously they'd already seen it happen. Then, they proceeded to float around in my casting zone doing their own fishing.

People are jerks. I wound up just picking up my stuff and walking to another spot. Was much better than sitting and fuming over them taking over my spot.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I guess it's a matter of how crowded the area is. I fish a few streams near my town that get pretty crowded after work during trout stocking season. It isn't uncommon for 3-4 people to be fishing the same small hole. But if there is room to spread out it is incredibly rude to stomp on someone else's spot.

Sort of funny story. I frequent a NJ fishing forum. Last spring one guy starts a thread complaining about a fisherman who started fishing in the same hole he was fishing in. He had posted a video of him confronting the guy. Actually the guy didn't seem to be that close, at least by NJ standards, but he was close enough to annoy the OP of that thread.

Then someone posts to the thread saying that he knows the guy in the video, then several others chime in saying they know him too. Then the guy himself responds. Eventually apologies go back and forth and everything is roses. I fact I think a fishing friendship was formed.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I live up Nawth and I understand crowded fishing conditions when there's a run taking place but folks around here are very careful not to cast over your lines. If it's an accident you will get a profuse apology. If it's on purpose, the others fishing around you will gang up on the offender and make certain it doesn't happen again. We're a courteous lot and we don't abide by offenders.

As far as someone driving their boat into your area, Daddy always told me that if you could take a brick, throw it and hit the guy's boat, he was too close. Daddy always carried a brick and a shotgun in the boat.

Wehan

During Salmon and Steelhead runs here in lower Mi it's common to be practically shoulder to shoulder with other anglers at the popular dams and holes and sometimes some aggression will pop up, otherwise there is no reason to be within 50 yards of another fisherman. I once was fishing a sunken Island and just killing some Largemouth when another guy in his boat came up and asked if I minded if he fished the island to. I had no issues with this whatsoever. Had he not asked and just forced his way in we might have had problems.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I friend and I were trying to whack some fish in a small lake. Soon a guy drives in...unloads his retriever...and in the lake...right in front us...starts throwing in training items for his dog to fetch.

Miserable creep. We just left...wasn't worth fighting over...!!