Best backpack for weight on hips

ktc

I have a friend starting to train for a Philmont Trek next summer. He has hardware in his neck and upper back from a auto accident a few years ago.
He needs to get the very best backpack he can to distribute weight on to his hips. I know that more money doesn't always mean you bought the best. I need some input on what would be the best for him. About 65L

ppine

Forester
Any external frame pack does an excellent job of transferring weight directly to the hips. There is a long tradition of using externals at Philmont. He will fit right in.

wvbreamfisherman

I prefer an external frame pack, and have used Keltys as well as an ALICE pack, which my current choice. I'd check out various external frame packs and find one that's a good fit.

(Yeah, yeah, I know the ALICE is heavy and clunky- its also pretty tough, and oddly enough , is pretty comfortable for me- YMMV).

Hikenhunter

External frame packs will carry more gear than an internal frame pack but both will transfer their weight to your hips if they are fitted properly. If your friend can get all his gear into an internal frame pack this would likely be a better pack for him. Internals help to keep the weight centered better than externals, this will help maintain balance when the trail gets narrow or when he needs to do some rock hopping or walking in wet slippery conditions. That being said I use an external for extended trips because I can usually get more gear and food into it than I can into my internal, and of course you have the frame to tie stuff onto if need be. As for brands I use Camptrails Packs. They are not available in the U.S. anymore so if I were looking for a pack today I woild visit the nearest REI store or browse the latest Camp-Mor catalog. Deal with a store that specializes in backpacking gear as they will have the lightest and best gear for back packing. They will also have a bigger price tag for most of their gear but a quality back pack, especially for some one with limitations, will be well worth it.

Grandpa

This is one (of many) questions I cannot answer. My big belly makes every waist belt slip past my hips.:tinysmile_hmm_t2: And if I tighten the belt any tighter, it pushes my belly up into my lungs so I can't breath.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Newanderthal

Jansport makes an external frame pack called the Carson. Might be a bit large for your needs, but I've used Jansport packs before, both internal and external, and I'm not sure that anyone makes a tougher pack.

The key to distributing the weight to the hips is to hike the pack up and tighten the waist strap just above the belt line before tightening the other straps. It should be able to keep the pack up without even slipping your shoulders through the shoulder straps. Once that is done, put your arms through and pull the shoulder straps snug but not tight. Fasten the chest strap and you should be good. All on your hips, the rest is just to keep it from moving.

There's also the Kelty Trekker 65
Kelty Trekker 65 External Frame Pack, 90327 | External Backpacks | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Cappy

I like Grandpa have no waiste and nothing to hold up a belt.:tinysmile_tongue_t: Das why every pic ya have ever seen of me includes overalls or suspenders. Sadly us portly people have to pack all weight on our shoulders. Das a big reason why years ago I quit long haul back packing for a base camp with short day hikes from it. Much over 30 lbs and I am hurting after 5 or 6 miles of trail. Rather than quit or complain though I just adopted my style and have every bit as much fun with lots less effort. We just drag our camper or set a tent in the middle of what we wanna explore and make a series of short day trips from there. Not only is it great hiking, but also fun afternoons at da camp with the perks of base camp. For the life of me I cant figure why the debate over tents, campers, long hikers rage, when the compromise is the answer

Hikenhunter

Internal frame packs are all the rage, but do not transfer weight to the hips as well as external frame packs do.
Well sir, I beg to differ. I use both internal and external frame packs and one does not,in my experience, transfer weight to the hips better than the other. Interior frame packs also are easier on your body as a whole when hiking where you need to have good balance, such as areas where you have to do a bit of rock hopping or when hiking under slippery conditions.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I would look for a pack with a robust hip belt. Some of them seem to have very little padding in the hip belt to save weight. Others have an insane amount of padding. Some of the ospreys even use hip belts they will mold to your shape right in the store (they heat them in an oven). With a lot of padding you can tighten the belt really tight and not feel it cutting into you, then drop some of the weight from your shoulders. I use a deuter ACT. It's a bit heavy compared to some, but it wears like a dream compared to others I have put on.

IndianaHiker

I would look for a pack with a robust hip belt. Some of them seem to have very little padding in the hip belt to save weight. Others have an insane amount of padding. Some of the ospreys even use hip belts they will mold to your shape right in the store (they heat them in an oven). With a lot of padding you can tighten the belt really tight and not feel it cutting into you, then drop some of the weight from your shoulders. I use a deuter ACT. It's a bit heavy compared to some, but it wears like a dream compared to others I have put on.
Hey you all not been on here for a while. Agreed love my back I have the lighter weight version of the ACT the ACT Zero and love that thing. Great Pack had it for 4 years beat the hell out of it and still works great. Very comfy and lots of room. Also fits well so very stable when jumping rocks, climbing over and under downed trees, etc.

ACT Zero

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Pack fit is everything whether you are looking at externals or internals. I was an old, dyed in the wool external man until I bought a Kelty Comanche 4600. Most comfortable pack I've ever owned. I won't go back to an external.

FWIW my Kelty Comanche transfers just as much weight to my hips as any external I've had. The swaying of an external is more tiresome on my back and neck. With an internal, I don't get that.

ktc, your friend is probably going to have more trouble sleeping on the ground than anything else.

ppine

Forester
I am a tall person and long in the waist. Externals fit me much better. Maybe that is the reason it is so much easier to get the weight transferred to the hips. To each his own.

bibsoutdoors

Looks like I'm years late to the party but will throw in for fun; I like the ULA Catalyst, no weight on the neck, adjustments to keep the weight on the front aspect of your shoulders and a huge comfortable hip belt also with adjustments. Will also take care of your 65L requirements! Cheers. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Sean95

I have a friend starting to train for a Philmont Trek next summer. He has hardware in his neck and upper back from a auto accident a few years ago.
He needs to get the very best backpack he can to distribute weight on to his hips. I know that more money doesn't always mean you bought the best. I need some input on what would be the best for him. About 65L
I have used a Kelty Super Tioga for years. It's an external frame pack with an incredible suspension. The frame is adjustable since everyone's torso is not the same length. While you're on the move, you can go from a setup where you have the weight evenly distributed between your hips and shoulders to a setup where 90% or more of the weight is on your hips. The part of the suspension is called the load lifter. A tug on two straps (one left one right) and you can pretty much have it set where you can put a finder between the top of your shoulder and the shoulder strap. If you're having to crawl over a downed trees and such, you put a little weight back on your shoulders and helps stabilize the pack.

ppine

Forester
Tramp is right. I recently bought a ULA Circuit and it has many adjustments and is very comfortable. You just have to keep the weight down under around 35 pounds.

genry03

I have a Kelty external frame pack also. It is durable and has ample pockets and compartments.