Other than pictures

ramp

Other than pictures, what do you usually take home during your trekking? I always try to make sure that pictures are the only things I bring home. If there are other things, they are mostly drinking water bottles and other trash left by other trekkers.

Bradsalex

Like you ramp, I also pick up other's trash on the trails. I make sure I bring a shopping bag on the hike with me and I teach my son about the value of keeping nature clean and how it can affect the world. My last hike I went on was the dirtiest trail by far. The local S&R team was doing training and they used buckets of hard candy as markers for the people testing. Needless to say, there were candy wrappings everywhere. I almost half filled a shopping bag with that and other stuff.

Grandpa

Other than pictures, what do you usually take home during your trekking? I always try to make sure that pictures are the only things I bring home. If there are other things, they are mostly drinking water bottles and other trash left by other trekkers.

Memories...

pack it in, pack it out. On rare occasions have ran across a little trash, but people are pretty good once you get past the turnarounds for the day hikers.

Last edited:

Newanderthal

I always bring a ziploc bag for my own trash and a rolled up garbage bag for everyone else's trash.

usually I take home Lyme Disease and holes in my clothes.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Take something home? And have to pack out that weight? I know a few people that have taken plant samples like mountain mint, or small interesting pebbles. One lady took a big rock, this softball size beautiful round river rock. But still, packing that out for four miles... She must have really liked that rock. I just bring out dirt, crud, and tiny spiders.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Not long ago I was cleaning my dresser drawer and found a bunch of small stones, most no bigger than a quarter. At first I wondered why the heck there were stones in my drawer. Then I remembered that in my early days of backpacking I would take a stone from the summit of each mountain and that was my collection.

wvbreamfisherman

I've taken an interesting stone or an arrowhead now and then.

Like everyone else, I've packed our other people's trash. Once on an overnighter, my hiking partner and I cleaned up an adjacent campsite. We must've burned 5 pounds of paper and crap and packed out a few more in glass bottles and cans. Never could figure out why someone lugged all that stuff five miles.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I bring home other people trash, small stones different from my local area, and small bits of odd looking wood. I look at some of the stones from TN, NC and GA and remember the wonderful time we had there. My 86 year old mother would rather have an odd looking tree root or a piece of wood that ressembled something else than gold or money. Once found a book sized piece of wood that ressemble a turtle in the edge of an old fire ring and gave it to her. She still shows that thing to folks. It freaked her cat out for a week or so. It really looked real.

mccallum

I mine aluminum therefore I pick up cans; if I saw a weird looking rock or piece of wood I would bring it home. I also did look for sticks to make hiking staffs back in the day --- might still pick up a odd/different piece to add to the staff collection.

ppine

Forester
Mostly plant specimens, small rocks, chips and flakes. Recently I packed out an old cast iron frying pan that had the side broken out of it.

The main things I bring home are memories of being out there in God's Creation, and the gratitude for still being able to walk in it. Nature is my religion so I do not take it lightly. Sometimes it gives me chills and tears of joy.

Cappy

Being a country boy when I go in the woods or down the bayou, I am usually either hunting, or fishing or gathering, or other. I say other cause I aint sertain if crawfishing and frogging are hunting or fishingo_O. So not counting other folks trash I most often bring home Supper.:Yo:

Cappy

Being a country boy when I go in the woods or down the bayou, I am usually either hunting, or fishing or gathering, or other. I say other cause I aint certain if craw-fishing and frogging are hunting or fishingo_O. So not counting other folks trash I most often bring home Supper.:Yo: