Looking for a family canoe

fireman

I am starting to look for a canoe for our growing family. Currently 2 kids (5 & 7) and my wife and me. I was at the local bass pro and saw the Old Town Saranac 160 Canoe . It looked good thinking the kids can share the middle bench. I know Old Town is said to be a good brand, but those plastic seats has me worried. It would be used for some day trips up and down the river, maybe some fishing. Anyone got any thoughts on that one or another?

jason

fear no beer
I was looking at that one also. I also want to look at the Mad river Adventure 160. My brother has an Old Town and it seems pretty good. I am hoping to try both this weekend. I'll try and let you know how I make out if you want.

jason

fear no beer
Well after reading online, and going shopping I ended up with a Mad River Adventure 160. I went to a few shops, but it seems like everyone is selling kayaks. Very few had canoes anymore. One place told me they maybe sold a canoe every 6 months or more. One place had a Old Town Discovery 169 which is one I was looking at. It was a special order that came in with a huge gash in the front. It was discounted but the gash I feel really needed to fixed although it was not a complete hole the inside was clearly dented. It was also on a rack and the guy didn't want to take it down so we can at least sit in it.

We ended up at Canoe Country Outfitters. By far one of the more friendly places we went, although again we found more kayaks then canoes. They let us look for a few minutes before they talked to us. Did not even mind us pulling canoes out to sit in, or my 3 and 5 year old running around like a kid in a candy shop. Very happy to discuss the differences between the Mad River and Old town. Now I should mention I tried my brothers Old town and it is a good canoe. The one problem I had though was the seats. Not very comfortable and I feel like I slid in them.

The Mad River feels a bit more tipsy with kids moving around, but it felt easier to paddle. I also feel like it was harder to tip although it more "tipsy" if that makes any sense. I felt their seats were better, although I would have liked to try the Discovery's seats, but I also feel like I would end up with a add-on to make a back rest on those.

The boys seemed to like the center seat at the time. As say at the time because when we left and went on a two hour tour my 5 year old wanted to bounce around, sit on the floor on the seat, switch positions, basically being a 5 year old.

The center seat does worry me some as I feel it could limit some storage. But I feel it is better then the Old Town Saranac's center seat.

Not sure if any of that helps. If your budget allows those Kevlar canoes they had were looking great. Way out of my price range but nice.

Attachments

fireman

Thank you for the review. I would like to get something for a Christmas present for the family so we got some time. Now just need to get some testing done before it gets too cold.

briansnat

Platnium Member
First, rule out the OT Saranac. It is OT's bottom of the line boat and nowhere near the quality of their other canoes. Those molded seats may look cool, but they are one of the one of the tricks mfrs. of cheapie canoes use (along with keels and aluminum supports) to support the chintzy hull. They also make kneeling impossible if you feel a need to lower your center of gravity. 16 ft is the absolute shortest length you should be looking at for a family of four.

Jason mentions that his canoe feels "...more tipsy with kids moving around, but it felt easier to paddle. I also feel like it was harder to tip although it more "tipsy".... That feeling is known as primary and secondary stability. Primary stability is how "tippy" the boat feels when getting in and out and moving about. Secondary stability is how hard it is to actually tip over. In most cases canoes with good secondary stability have low primary stability, and vice-versa.

With the kids in the boat you probably are looking for one with good secondary stability.
Consider buying a used higher end canoe, instead of new cheap, rotomolded or thermoformed garbage like the OT Saranac, Pelicans, Rogue Rivers, Colemans, Sun Dolphin, etc.

Some to consider:
Wenonah Spirit II
Mad River Explorer 16
Old Town Discovery (169 or better yet if you can find it, 174)
Mad River Journey 167
Bell (now Northstar) Northwind 17 or 18

As far as material, it's hard to beat Royalex for the combination of durability, weight and cost. Unfortunately the company that makes Royalex discontinued its manufacture, so you won't find many "new" Royalex canoes unless they are older leftover stock. If you can find a Royalex boat used and in good condition, jump on it. A lot of canoers are hanging onto their Royalex boats now because they can't purchase new ones. Kevlar is light weight, but more fragile than Royalex. For use on a lake it's great, but don't use a Kevlar boat where there will be a lot of rocks. Many canoe mfrs. have moved to multi layered Polyethelene to replace Royalex, but it's heavier than Royalex versions of the same boat.

Aluminum will last practically forever (unless you bend it around a rock in a river or a tree falls on it), but they generally have crappy paddling characteristics. However a 17 or 18 ft aluminum canoe may be a inexpensive option for you now and in a few years you can give it to the kids to use as a beater boat, while you and the wife upgrade to a better canoe. Or you can sell it for about as much as you paid for it.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
There are lots of good canoes out there. I would go with something big for a whole family. I Iike canoes at least 17 1/2 feet, 18 is better. If your family likes canoeing, soon you will be able to paddle in two canoes. Start with the boys in the bow, each with a parent. By the time the oldest is 10-12 they can paddle their own boat.

Royalex is no longer being made. It is durable but heavy and slow in quiet water. There are some really large canoes now that do not weigh much. Do yourself a favor and look at some canoe shop web sites to see what is out there.