What to do if you encounter a hyena while hiking?

drake

To me hyenas are really scary pack of dog-like creatures and looks like they belong to a carnivorous type of wolf family. I have never encountered a hyena before. If you ever go hiking alone with nothing in hand but a backpack on your back, what should you do if you're facing a hyena right before you?

Grandpa

Not to worry. African restrictions will not allow you to wander without a licensed guide unless you sneak out of camp. But, in the spirit of answering your question in the spirit you asked it, pray.

We watched a pack of hyenas take down a cape buffalo bull this spring. They surrounded him, at a measured distance of course, kept him agitated enough until finally one darted in from the rear and ripped his scrotum wide open. It was a slow process for the bull to bleed out, but they were patient and the bull provided the pack with a nice supper.

They are smart, agile and very very mean. If they determine you are on the menu, you don't have much chance if you're alone and unarmed.

I really miss my old computer. This one just doesn't have the capacity to download much or I could post pictures of that bull and his attackers.

Last edited:

Cappy

I aint a back packer so if I'm walking in the woods ya can bet ya arse I'm armed and loaded. with either rifle or shot gun. In true Cajun fashion when I see anything I first think is it dangerous, and then what would it taste like. :p

ChadTower

I've been in a lot of deep woods, seen a lot of animals of various sizes and types, and never really been convinced I was in danger. Granted, this is the northeast, so I'm talking bears/moose/things that don't usually attack people.

One time I was convinced I was 5 miles from the nearest house and I heard a banjo loud and clear. I almost crapped myself that day. It lasted maybe 5 minutes and then I never heard it again. Still have no idea what was going on there.

ppine

Forester
I have always wanted to go Africa, but probably never will due to the cost. It is hard to imagine sleeping in the bush, listening to lions, hyenas, leopards, cheetahs, jackals, and elephants in the dark. Holy cow.

My Dad spent a couple of nights in a compound in the bush with an adobe type wall around some huts. He talked about hearing all of the critters in the list above. That was in So Africa in about 1962.

Newanderthal

"looks like they belong to a carnivorous type of wolf family"

actually, hyenas are of the suborder "Feliformia", not "Caninae". Hyenas are related to cats, not dogs or wolves.

ppine

Forester
Since hyenas only exist in Africa, it is a far fetched question. If one was in front of me, there are probably more around. If they are really close and threatening I would shoot one and see if that discourages any of the rest of them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
"looks like they belong to a carnivorous type of wolf family"

actually, hyenas are of the suborder "Feliformia", not "Caninae". Hyenas are related to cats, not dogs or wolves.
I'd probably heard this before but had forgotten it. That's okay. I eat big cats too.

Cappy

I read every thing i could get my hands on about the early mountain men when i was a kid. There favorite things to eat were Cougar, Buffalo tongue, and beaver tail.

ppine

Forester
Cappy is right. He just left out sheep ribs and moose nose.

I have served cold smoked buffalo tongue with horseradish at a big deal tent party. Anyone that tried it, liked it. Sheep ribs are revered as the finest meat in the outdoors and it is traditional to eat them after killing a sheep.

I rode on a plane with an Athabascan Indian once who was from Bettles, Alaska. That is a town with no road network. You get there by plane or boat. He knew about all of the traditional food in the bush. I asked him about beaver tail. He said it was okay but fatty. He said his grandmother still cooks moose nose, but that is gelatinous and not that appetizing if you are not used to it.

I used to work with an old cowboy, long gone. He used to say "when I was a kid, fat was the thing that was hard to get, now it is the first thing people throw away."