Kids Want To Camp In Living Room

GA_gal

Our younger niece wants to have a tent camp-out in her living room with some of her friends. Do they make inexpensive popup tents for something like this?

mamabear

You don't need a tent for this. Take some straight backed chairs and drape quilts across the top. Secure the chairs by putting some heavy books in the seats and you have an instant tent. We used to do this all the time when I was a kid. They'll have a ball!!

Grandpa

In answer to your question, yes they do make light weight, cheap little tents and bags for this. BUT, mamabear is right. They have a lot of fun in the making of their own little kingdom using furniture and blankets. Besides, a favorite blanket or quilt is a lot more cozy than an old tent.

Barney

Yes they do but it still costs highly enough to defeat the purpose of such occasion. Just make them an improvised tent from ordinary bedding material.

CozInCowtown

Yes, set the couch and recliners back to back and 3' apart then toss blankets across the backs to form a "tent".
Been doing it with Foster kids for years!!!
Coz

ppine

Forester
Let em. It is the first step in becoming outdoors kids. I would supply some old bed sheets, bamboo poles, duct tape and other stuff to build a fort to sleep in.

Mudslide

The old sheet forts when we were kids are the reason why I went to tarp camping later on, Im sure of it! Wish I could remember all the cool configurations we had back then. :)

oldsarge

Have them do this around Christmas time too, that way they'll have a tree in the room with them!

campclose

I loved making those old sheet forts when I was a kid. My mom would help and then we would spend hours playing games in the tent. I can't tell you how many nights I spent in the living room.

CozInCowtown

****IMPORTANT NOTE****

Camping in "tents" in living room is fun and exciting way to introduce kids to camping.......camp fires in the center if the living room not so much!!

I figgered I should toss that in for safety's sake!!
Coz

carmen

Coz, yes it is! I still remember doing this as a kid and there was always one day out of the week when our mother wondered where all of the sheets, blankets and pillows wandered off to. We called it the walking sheets day, they just got up and walked away.

cheryllwyatt

You can easily get sources around which provide such small tents. Living room camping is a nice idea rather than outside especially if children are small.

Last edited:

Reed

What makes camping indoors so fun for kids is making their own "tent" and campsite. Get one of those CD's with nature sounds and orange lava lamps, and all of a sudden, you're outside.

Cappy

Run by a furniture store and get a big cardboard box. Kids love em. Don't tell em what to do, just watch and enjoy that box become many things.

ppine

Forester
Great thing for kids to get them interested.
My girl and I used to have Pioneer Night about once a month. We would put a mattress in the front of the fireplace with a glass screen and read to each other in the dark. We slept there with our three dogs as one big happy family.