Cook stoves

Roybrew

What type of cook stove do most of y'all use? I don't backpack camp, but I do like to go a little light on what I take. Most time we boat in to a spot by canoe or bass boat.

I use my double burner antique coleman stove that burns white gas only. It has proved to be very dependable and durable. I bet I don't use a gallon of fuel maybe every 2 years.

Should I up grade or stick with what I have and invest my money in other goodies?

MacGyver

Seems to me you've answered your own question. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If it suits your needs why would you want to upgrade?

I use three - A Coleman two-burner propane when I want to take my griddle out, an MSR Windpro II when I want to go light, and a fold up single burner "crab pot" burner for keeping a stockpot full of hot water when we have a large group at the site.

Grandpa

White gas Coleman is as good as any for what you do. When the kids and grandkids come, we take the campchef propane stove. Just grandma and I, we use a 2 burner Coleman. For backpacking, a single burner canister stove. My choice for the past 15 years has been MSR's pocket rocket.

ponderosa

My answer is exactly the same as Grandpa's. Our family of 4 uses an old indestructable Coleman white gas 2-burner for car camping. When we backpack, we use a little canister stove. We have the Pocket Rocket & a Snow Peak model that was only about $30 & works great. When I'm the designated cook on big group car camping trips I bring the Camp Chef with grill & griddle.

Grandpa

I have my Dads old 3 burner, circa the 1950's that I still break out now and again. New pump kit and new venturi every 20-30 years and they just keep going.

Roybrew

Mom and dad still have the old 3 burner we used for camping back in the 60's. I remember mom cooking on it during the winter of 77 because the power was out a couple of days. I think my sister uses it now.
I also have the single mantle coleman lantern that we used in the 60's.
I say thumbs up to coleman they sure built some reliable stuff.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have a propane, 2 burner Coleman that is going on 20 years old for car and canoe camping.
For backpacking I have two MSR Whisperlites and a MSR Pocket Rocket.

Last edited:

Cappy

If you have ever glanced at our blog or read any of our camping post you have seen this lil short legged 2 burner propane stove. Although our camper has a stove and micro wave I still do most of my cooking out doors on it. The stove sat in my great Grandfathers trappers camp for years. I rescued it when I was like 12 and have had it since. Like you I no longer back pack, and have a camper I drag to a base camp and do a series of day walks or fishing trips from camp.

ppine

Forester
when I was a kid we used my grandfather's Coleman stove that he bought after WWI. It was completely black the first time I ever saw from flaring up. I got a new one in 1972. Now I use an Optimus like the Pocket Rocket, MSR blow torch for cold weather, and Brunton stainless steel propane stove for truck camping and boat trips.

ddbck

We use a Camp Chef Yukon 2 burner, qick connects directly to our camper. It has unlimited accessories & has never failed us.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've got nothing against propane but I still use an old white gas two-burner Coleman. It was my Dad's. I don't know how old it is but it's older than I am and I'll be 67 in twelve days. It's had some parts replaced but it keeps coming so I keep using it. I can feel my Dad's love in it.

ppine

Forester
It is handy to have a small backpacking style propane stove. I use it on the boat sometimes to make tea or soup in cold weather.

Cappy

We are off grid camping so I aint been around. Our camper runs on propane for the fridge and the stove so our out door stove is a very old 2 burner that I put propane jets in it was natural gas.

Bojib

I have two that I use. One is a Snow Peak GigaPower backpacking stove. Generally when it's just my wife and I, it's all we need regardless of the type of trip, campground or backpacking. It's good for heating up water and cooking small meals. We have a Snow Peak GigaPower single mantle lantern that uses the same fuel cans, so it's handy to use.

The other is a one burner Coleman propane stove. We take it when there are going to be more than just us. It uses the 1lb propane bottles, and if we take it we take the Coleman lantern that uses the 1lb bottles too. I like to keep my fuels the same.

We also have a MSR WhisperLite White Gas Stove. I haven't used it in years. White gas used to be all I used. I have several models of various Coleman Stoves and Lanterns that used it. I just fell out of favor with it. The WhisperLite is all I have left from that era. Dandy stove, not much in the way of adjustment with it, it's basically on or off, not really easy to set on simmer.

The rest we cook on the grill or over a fire.