How old is your tent?

Hirsch

Last count I think I had 10 tents and 2 nylon tarps ranging from 1 year to 38 years of age. I would use any with my head held high in appropriate environments.

milehighxr

New here, and my favorite in the wind that we get here in CO, is a Moss from the 1990's. I think it is a a Stardome, or maybe Stardome 2. Although from the pics I have seen of the Stardome 2, I don't think that's what I have. I would love to find some more info on my old Moss. I like that it stands up to 60mph gust with out collapsing, even without using any guy outs. I hate the weight though, I don't use it for backpacking.

MacGyver

I have a Eureka 7x7 dome and Coleman Peak 1 Triton from the 80s, an REI Half Dome 2+ about three years old, an ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 4 a year old and a Kodiak Flexbow 10 x 10 about two years old.

ponderosa

Kelty Mantra 5 person car camping tent...very heavily used, about 15 years old. The seam tape is starting to come loose in a few places, but this is a great tent.
Two Kelty 2 person backpacking tents, Zen and Sage...heavily used, about 18 years and 16 years. One is in great shape, the other leaked in a few places during a 36 hour rain/sleet/hail storm with driving winds in the Sawtooths last year. It may be replaced this year or next.
An MSR Mutha Hubba 3 person backpacking tent...heavily used, 9 years old. Going strong. My favorite.
Kelty 4 season, 3 person...lightly used, 10 years, great shape. Used only in winter.
These are all quality aluminum frame tents, not Kelty's lower priced models.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Of the tents I currently own, my Walrus 6 person tent was bought in 1995, making it 21 years old. My Walrus 4 person was bought a year later. I have a LL Bean 2 person dome tent bought in 1990, a Mountainsmith solo tent bought in 2006, a Sierra Designs 2 person bought in 2010 and a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock bought in 2014.

Energized

I still have the family tent from when we were growing up. Big canvas monster that has 2 rooms and takes forever to set up but still water tight and in great condition after 15 years. Do have some newer 1 and 2 person ones now that I take when hiking but ole faithful still gets a call up a couple times a year.

CFerg

You shouldn't have to replace every year if you maintain your gear. I had tent that I used as a kid that my dad bought when he was a teenager and I passed it on to my stepson a few yes ago... so its around 40+/- yrs. Have an Ozark Trail (keep laughter to a minimum pls) that is 10 yrs old. And a Kodiak Flexbow 10x10 that's 3 yrs old.

milehighxr

My "bombshelter" is 20yrs old. It's a Moss, don't know the model, I think it's a Stardome. I posted another thread with questions on iding it with pics.

It has started to stick to itself when I unroll it between outings. I'm hoping this isn't sign of rot. I had an old Camp 7 a frame 2 person tent that had a white residue all over it, that I could not clean off. It had been 40 years old.

ppine

Forester
Colorado Tent and Awning is no longer in business. I ordered a wall tent in 1982 that still works fine and has never leaked.