Sealing a Leaky Tent Question

Bojib

Well, my old Eureka is finally getting to the point were the floor has lost it's water repelling abilities.

I have always kept a tarp under it, but have discovered that in a hard enough rain, water can still get on top of the tarp. I never gave it much concern, but now it's time that I finally do.

This tent is not a tarp material bottom, but a nylon bottom. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with using the spray on water repellents on these materials, and if so what brand?

Along with spraying I guess I'll also be adding a sheet of plastic to my list of things to carry so I can line the inside of the floor as well.

briansnat

Platnium Member
You can try a good paint on water repellent coating and see how that works. I don't think a spray will cut it for a tent floor. Also re-seal all of the seams on your tent with a seam sealer. Water may be dripping unnoticed from the seams and not coming through the floor.

I don't think the plastic sheet inside will be a good option. It will be a PITA to deal with and water can wind up on top anyway as it shifts while you are moving around inside (I've seen this happen). Eureka! has this advice on their website about how to re-waterproof your tent. It is time consuming with washing off the old coating, drying, then painting on the new coating and drying again, but it is a shot. If that doesn't work then it may unfortunately be time to retire your tent.

Bojib

I recently re-sealed the seams. We were camping last fall and it started to rain. We found out on that trip that the seams of the rainfly were leaking. It would allow a drop through occasionally that would then hit the netting and cause water to splash into a fine mist everywhere.

The seam sealer still seemed to be holding up well this last trip, both on the rain fly and tent.

I'd say its the waterproofing is wearing off after ten years or so of use. The process on the website looks nice and drawn out. I live in an apt now, so that may prove too difficult to do. I'd need a garage to be able to maintain a dry 70 degree hour for 72 hours.

Thanks for finding that though, I don't know why I didn't think to check their website.

frank6160

I have used a tarp on the inside of my tents for years. Requires a bit more of set up time but has helped when a seam decided to let some water through. Also makes cleaning out the tent much easier. Just fold up tarp and take it out shake off dirt and debris. with young grandkids there is always dirt and the like getting in.

Bojib

I have a cut piece of 6 mil plastic to use for an inside tarp for the time being. I have a regular tarp I use for a ground cloth.

I cut the plastic piece big enough to go up the sides a little bit to help out. I haven't tried it yet, but hope to get to here in a few weeks.

Maybe Santa will bring me a new tent for Christmas this year.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Believe it or not, many years ago I had a leaky tent that I took outside on a sunny day and sprayed it with Thompson's Water Seal in an atomizer, you know, the stuff you use on your deck. I let the sun and the breeze dry it out, erected it and used the water hose to wet it down. It worked. Good stuff.

Northern Dancer

Good discussion.
...well...for me...when there is rust on the car I get rid of it. It's time to buy new and buy up - something with new technology. With the cost of tents today I just don't bother to try and fix anything. Besides that - it gives me a perfect excuse to purchase new equipment - and I never seem to get tired of doing that. :)

Northern Dancer

This situation reminded me of a little experience that I had on one occasion.

I loaned [and I will never do that again] one of my outfitters tents to an experienced camper friend. He did the unmentionable - at the end of his trip he packed the tent wet. He packed the tent wet and put it in the trunk of his jeep and left it there for a whole two weeks. In spite of my calls to return the item he left it in the trunk of his jeep for a whole two weeks. :Frown2:

I wasn't home at the time he returned it, he just left it there on the veranda - dead.

I didn't know that until I unravelled it and set it up. As I unrolled it I discovered it was soaking and I could smell the mildew and I knew that further examination would only confirm my suspicion. When I put it up the waterproof membrane inside dangled in shreds. It was destroyed! :Mad:

All he had to do was to deliver it to me on the way home and I would have managed it just fine.

So for "tense"...
:Violin:
NEVER
Store them wet.
Do not store them on a concrete floor.
Make sure they are absolutely dry.
Hang them if you can while storing them.
Store in a dry cool place.
Make sure that they are totally clean and that spots are gently removed.
Tag them with pertinent information - giving the date and other information like has pegs, mallet, etc. etc.

If you take care of your equipment your equipment will take care of you!

ppine

Forester
One of the things to consider if the other ideas do not work is to cut the floor out of the tent. Then water can sink into the ground and the tent will be lighter.

I have owned a lot of tents over the years and rarely have any problems with leaking or losing water repellency. I have never used water seal or seam sealer. My wall tent is from 1980 and got a few burn holes from the wood stove over the years. I just fill them with rubber cement. Once you try a tent with no floor, it is a blessing.

Roybrew

I took my old tent with me on my last trip. It's an Ozark trail brand. I bought it from someone I worked with maybe 13 years ago. It's an inexpensive tent, but I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I don't trust it in rainy weather because I have had it leak on me before. I don't worry to much about the floor being wet as much as having water dripping on me. All the pressure pulling on the rain fly has taken its toll on the sewn seams. I sprayed with a water repellent and applied seam sealer, which I think is silicon rubber, but I still don't trust it. Other than that it has served me well.

Northern Dancer

...you do well with the longevity of your tents. It's been my custom to give tents away before they become a problem. I usually pass on camping equipment to our parish scout group. They have never refused anything that I've given. :)

Cappy

Wondering if that black paint on stuff ya see on infomercials wouldn't work to seal floor seams. The stuff that fool paints on a screen boat??

Northern Dancer

...I just don't bother as you know. BUT I have been embarrassed on some occasions when a colleague does a simple repair to a piece of my equipment and saves me a lot of money. I'm "gonna tell ya" duct tape has saved my lower posterior on occasion - from a hole in a canoe [not mine] to other repairs to gizmos and gadgets. :)

bibsoutdoors

I found Gorilla Tape to be a far superior product over duct tape for the same price. Adhesion is superior and it's durability is also better pound for pound . Duct tape has its uses but I've all but switched to Gorilla Tape on most anything other than duct work. (I always buy black, wouldn't look good on duct work.)

Bibsoutdoors

Bojib

I guess I haven't been on here in a while. I didn't realize I had replies to this thread.

I still have the Eureka, but never do anything to waterproof the floor. Luckily, for Christmas, I received a new tent, so it's not as much of an issue now. It'd still be good to use as a loaner or a fair weather tent.

Cappy

The problem I have with gorilla glue or tape is it degrades fast. Glue or tape stuff with it a short year or two later it fails and has become brittle and not sticky anymore