Google "Street View" on the Trail?

ianscampbell

So I was recently made aware of this and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it...

Apparently Google is equipping "Trekkers" to go out into the backcountry and get street view style 360 photos of the trails that we all love to hike. On the one hand, it could have a great affect on the backcountry world and possibly even getting people to be more proactive in protecting our beautiful backcountry.

On the other hand, if it draws a bunch of people out onto the trail who don't know anything about LNT it could really have a negative impact on it.

I'm curious to hear what you think...

Grandpa

We were all newbies at one time or another. What was appropriate in my youth is big no no's now. They will learn. As to camping using LNT principles, if Bigfoot can do it, so can we.

ppine

Forester
I don't like the idea. Making the outdoors more "popular" is a double edged sword. There might be more funding and more notoriety. Usually that means more visitors. More visitors means permit requirements and more people. Many of the places I used to hike now require permits.

Grandpa

Since my first post, I have changed my mind. I just got back from a "favorite" spot 10 miles from the nearest TH. What a rat race. We normally expect to share this little spot of heaven with one or two other groups but with several lakes and several hundred acres of spruce and pine in this basin at well over 10,000 feet, it was a mad house. At least 6 parties in there, including camo dudes firing rifles, foil and cans scattered about, numerous dead fish floating belly up from the catch and releasers, and it will only get worse. All the fishermen claimed to have caught at least 30 or 40 fish a day so every known acquaintance of every one of those guys will be there next week even though they probably have never backpacked a day.

One bright spot, I met another old codger in there, didn't get his name but after just a few minutes talking we have already planned a trip together next year. Since neither of us had a pen, first one out left a note on the other guys car. We'll just see how that one turns out.

ppine

Forester
The public is a strange bunch. I read magazine articles so I know which places to avoid because of their notoriety. I just finished a week on second largest river in California in a raft. We saw no other boats except at a put-in. I will not mention the name. Just the deer, otters, eagles and ospreys. Don't follow the crowd and don't encourage them to follow you.

ianscampbell

The public is a strange bunch. I read magazine articles so I know which places to avoid because of their notoriety. I just finished a week on second largest river in California in a raft. We saw no other boats except at a put-in. I will not mention the name. Just the deer, otters, eagles and ospreys. Don't follow the crowd and don't encourage them to follow you.
It's kind of like a great fishing hole or a great surf break - if it's worth going to, it's worth being kept a secret...

ppine

Forester
I just wandered around in a mountain range in Nevada at 9,800 feet looking for mountain goats. I will not mention the name.

Cappy

I once posted a link to or blog with a story of taking a couple grand kids bank fishing at a local spot on a local forum. Pictures of the kids realing in some nice catfish, a ice chest full and the afternoons fish fry. We were the only ones there. 2 days later the parking lot was full and the bank lined with folks fishing. I learned my lesson.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I once posted a link to or blog with a story of taking a couple grand kids bank fishing at a local spot on a local forum. Pictures of the kids realing in some nice catfish, a ice chest full and the afternoons fish fry. We were the only ones there. 2 days later the parking lot was full and the bank lined with folks fishing. I learned my lesson.
I'm a member of a fishing forum focused on my state. I always found it strange how in a supposed fishing forum, everyone is so tight lipped about where they fish. Any discussion of a location is usually done via PM, or using code words that only veteran forum members seem to know. Some go as far as blacking out the background when they post photos of their catch. I thought the whole thing was rather silly, that any spot worth fishing was already pretty well known in a small state like NJ.

That was until I posted a pic of me in the forum with a nice pickerel I caught through the ice on a local reservoir. A place where I'd rarely see more than 1 or 2 other ice anglers out there on a given day. I made the mistake of mentioning the name. The following weekend there were over 20 people on it.

Cappy

yea Brian it is a shame that the old school fishing etiquette no longer exist. Usta be folks were courteous and asked before they joined ya or took your spot. Our local fishing forum has a disclaimer on the header for fishing reports saying dont report if ya wanna keep it secret. Once stated its public knowledge and access. By posting you are telling folks where to go. I know there are a few I'd like to tell where to go.