Nobody Walks Anymore

Simplify

I found a very good article by Bill Bryson on this subject. I had a thread on it a few years ago but it tends to be a pet subject and this article nailed home the point. Americans do not walk anywhere anymore. They will use their cars to drive ridiculously short distances....a few houses down the street to visit with neighbors, to a store or gym that is only one block away, etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/brysons-america-why-would-you-walk-1079183.html

Cappy

True I don't walk as much as I usta but in my defense I still cut grass with a push mower, Walk to neighbors to visit or trade, and I walk the half mile to the feed and seed store when I need something often pushing a wheel barrow if that something weighs over 40 lbs. Living in the extreme south we dont have a fire place and don't use much wood cept for our fire p;it in the yard. I do not own a chain saw and cut most of my wood by hand cept for palates which I rip with my circular saw. I do lots of bank fishing and walk a bit there True those 12-15 mile days with a 50 lb pack are behind me but I think I do pretty good for a ole fat guy.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Like Cappy, I don't walk as far as I used to; too many ankle injuries in my youthful days as an athlete have caught up with me. But I can still sneak through the woods without making a sound and I have the full belly to prove it.

Simplify

These are all good replies. The problem I have is with able bodied younger people who won't walk anywhere simply because they are lazy. It is sickening to see people driving their cars a few houses down the street to their friends house because they don't want to walk.

Cappy

It aint just young folks either. I see ole guys ride their golf carts around. One ole boy two yards down the street came to borrow something on his mower rather than walk. I often see folks driving to their mail box to check the mail.

ppine

Forester
This is an outdoor forum. I hope we are all walkers. Americans have gotten lazy. The kids are chunky when they are 20. God help them when they are 50.

We have a car driven culture with drive up everything. Make a conscious effort to walk more.

Simplify

There are people in their 30s and 40s who are already riding around in electric scooters because they can't support their weight.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I remember walking to school as a child. It was about a mile but somehow always turned into at least a mile and a half or more. But back then kids weren't staring at a little box carried in their hands and were more apt to see the world around them. Curiosity created certain detours.

Simplify

I remember when I lived in New England and worked at a summer camp a worker had taken the train into Boston and came back and he walked a few miles back to the camp instead of calling for a ride. People stood around him amazed and awestruck like he had done some incredible feat. They asked him if he was ok and such. No kidding!