Tent Heaters

kbbgood

I always heard about people getting killed using Coleman tent heaters. I just got a couple of old Coleman catalytic heaters and am wondering if they are safe to use in tents.

Bojib

If you are talking about the old coleman fuel ones, I'm going to say no, probably not. I guess you could always sleep with a carbon monoxide detector and hope it wakes you up, but that's a pretty risky chance to take in a tent.

There are catalytic propane heaters made for use inside a tent. Mr. Heater makes one with low oxygen shut off and tip over shut off. They still are recommended to be used while you sleep.

frank6160

The Coleman heaters were designed for tent use. The direction state that there should be openings for ventilation. People failed to heed that and therefore paid the price. I have used the Coleman fuel heaters but with the price of the fuel I switched to a Mr Heater propane.

MacGyver

I'd used both the white gas dome type and an early Coleman propane heater for years without issue. But, like Frank mentioned, everyone is supposed to know that you don't want to use them in a completely zipped up tent. But the Buddy heaters are much cleaner burning and more efficient than the old school heaters.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Like Mac Gyver said, the propane ones work well. I like Mr. Heater. It uses two bottles of propane and at the low setting provides 4000 BTUs for 22 hours. I don't need it yet for myself but I have a hunting buddy who does. Whatever works.

Northern Dancer

...for winter camping I use a wood stove. To get the chill out on summer evening I use the Buddy Heater. After a certain temperature I find the Buddy Heater useless but for a chilly morning it helps warm things up before the sun takes over.

ppine

Forester
The radiant heat of a wood stove in cold weather has to be felt to be believed. We hunted elk once for 10 days at 10,800 feet in Colorado. It was below zero at night. It would not have been feasible with a wood stoves in all of the wall tents.

Roybrew

I use a mr. Buddy propane in my tent, but only in the morning while I am awake. I sleep warm in my bag, so it is just the chill I want to get out of the tent, so I can get dressed with out freezing something off. I also have my stove in with me cause there ain't nothing better than a hot cup of joe while lying in the sack. Most tents I use breath better than I do. They have all that mesh netting above. Makes the tent cheaper (less expensive) and lighter.

Northern Dancer

...good stuff Roybrew & ppine. All depends on the situation and your tolerance level. I prefer an appropriate sleeping bag first. The heating devices come into play according to the weather. Radiant heat from a wood stove in the middle of dead winter is a comfort and a joy. You have to learn how to take advantage of the stove. Not a lot of wood on the one hand and care in the kind of wood your burn on the other. Many a time I have slept on top of my winter sleeping bag because it was just to hot. Yep...it's nice to lay there watching the shadow flames dancing on the walls when the winds are a howling and the snow is a growling outside.