Making your own gear

MacGyver

Does crocheting count? Years ago, my mom's best friend tried to teach me how to make quilts out of granny squares. Long story short, all I seemed to be good at was a single chain stitch. I went extreme with it and have made three seriously large tubes from one continuous single chain stitch - all big enough to get inside. The largest makes THE heaviest double thick quilt you've ever seen. Great on winter trips.

Simplify

The tubes seem like a neat idea. I get tired of inflating my air pad and the foam pad isn't thick enough to get a good nights sleep. I had an idea about making a sleeping pad much thicker than my current foam pad.

MacGyver

The tubes seem like a neat idea. I get tired of inflating my air pad and the foam pad isn't thick enough to get a good nights sleep. I had an idea about making a sleeping pad much thicker than my current foam pad.
The quilts/tubes I make aren't much good as a sleeping pad - I still use my Thermarest - but for on top? Love 'em!

Roybrew

My wife has her great grandmother's old singer sewing machine. I greased and oiled it up last winter, and figured out how to thread and sew with it. I made a bag for my mattress. The handles were a little crooked, but the zipper works great and I sized it perfectly for the mattress. Operating the treadle takes a little rythem and practice. I am planning to make a thwart bag for my canoe soon. I have the canvas, so now all I need is the time.

MacGyver

That machine could be a collectors item
In good shape, including the cabinetry, they're aren't exactly cheap, but they aren't through the roof expensive either. I guess the value is subjective. My parents and I used to buy and sell antiques and it seemed that just about every auction we went to, there was a treadle machine. Can't tell from the picture what the cabinet looks like, but the fact that the ornamentation is still solid would help its value.

But I get the impression that this one isn't going anywhere - especially if its strong enough to handle canvas, something most non-industrial machines made today can't handle!

ppine

Forester
For a long time there was no good equipment. People made stuff and made do with Military Surplus. There used to be all kinds of kits for making things like sleeping bags. Anyone remember Frostline? Now there is so much good equipment, making repairs is the main skill to have. I really like used equipment. I pass on my older stuff and give it away to someone that can use it.

Northern Dancer

...I guess I'm a sucker for buying what's new on the market - and there sure is a lot. One thing that I do enjoy is making base camp sign totems and tent furniture. It keeps the fires burning so to speak when the bleak mid winter sets in.

Side table for my Alaknak tent - just a hammer, a few finishing nails, saw, wood glue, a small carving instrument, some sand paper and a couple of end hooks decorated with a loon and a bear paw. The brass plate given to me reads - "This is the room you want".

Battery operated night light with candle holder with a picture of one of my last canoe trips decorated with a complementing duck.

I've made coat racks, book holder, etc. etc. etc.

I have made those tripod camp chairs frequently and a few handy gadgets like the rope around a tree to hand the cooking utensils.

Roybrew

Those old sewing machines are very durable with their steel gears and heavy iron parts. The cabinet is in good shape, but it was built more for serviceable use then to look pretty. I love antiques. My wife and I frequent the local antique stores. Sometimes you can pick up antique solid wood furniture made by serious craftsman that have a history and less expensive than the pressboard stuff. We found a solid walnut dresser in excellent condition that belonged to John Sevier's grandchild for about 350 bucks. My wife loves it.

I could probably buy a thwart bag for what I could make one for, but I enjoy knowing that I made it myself, and the knowledge I gain in the process. I purchased a hatched last weekend at a flea market, but I need a sheath for it. So I am making one out of an old worn out belt, I'm not going to mention the belt is to small for me it must've shrunk, 13 for the hatchet and 50 cents for the sheath, not bad.

I want to make a down blanket for camping, but the cost of down and the material may not be practical. My wife told me I needed to catch some geese and pluck the breast feathers, yeah right. So making a tent or other fabric items may not go as well as expected because you can't get material at the discounted price that a manufacturer can because of their bulk purchases.

My parents were born in the early 30's and grew up making do with what they had or what they could make. What may look simple to make could surprise most people when they find out how complicated things can be. Also what you may learn from trying to do, will improve your knowledge and creativness.

Yes I am long winded.

Northern Dancer

...a down blanket for camping - now that's an interesting project. I've sowed a patch quilt on one occasion. Let's say it didn't make the finals and the judges ever saw the finished project.

MacGyver

If you go to make a down blanket one day, do a good bit of reading and a lot of practice before you start on the actual project. I'm not too thrilled with the prices of underquilts for backpacking hammocks, so I looked into making my own. From what I gathered, sewing nylon and other lightweight synthetics and not tearing up the fabric or having it bunch up is an art. My mother has been sewing for 70 years and she says working with nylon is a pain in the you know what. That was enough to scare me away from trying it. But, since you don't know my mother :p, have at it one day and let us know how it went.

Grandpa

Son in law made a synthetic camping quilt for backpacking and did a good job. Not sure how he hemmed it but grandma and daughters are all good sewers. Probably used a serger to do it.

ppine

Forester
I learned to work with leather a long time ago and have used those skills to repair a lot of equipment and horse tack. Made a suit of buckskins, chaps, holsters, belts and halters. Made some nice canoe paddles and a few other things. It takes time but it is very rewarding.

Northern Dancer

...canoe paddles you say? You have my attention. I tried caring one once but I think I was a bit to impatient and my expectations were too high. Would like to see any photos if you have some.

oldsarge

I have friend who gave me an old Singer machine, I messed with it for a while but never got the hang of using or learning the proper way to use it. But I did manage to do some minor repairs, sew up a few map cases and make a few different survival kit pouches. I'm sure this machine needs to be serviced and I could use some good instruction on how to use it correctly
home made stuff.jpg
The knife in the center is my attempt at making a Tom Brown Tracker knife. I wanted to see if the knife design was something I would find useful in the field before actually buying one. It does come in handy as a good tool and will buy one eventually. The map case and pouches were made out of a military VS17 panel used for signalling. The bright orange is easy to spot. I once lost a small OD green map case after it fell out of my jacket pocket...it took me forever to find it. One other project was sewing two Army issue poncho liners together (one on top of the other) so to make one heavier blanket. The two poncho liners were worn, so sewing them together like that gave me a double insulated blanket that I still use whenever I go camping.
staff 01.jpg staff02.jpg
I modified the hiking staff above to assist me with a major life issue....how I carry an extra large coffee, cigar and GPS while hiking. I modified a D cell Mag Lite holder by warming it up with a lighter to soften the clamp, spread it out a bit to accommodate the GPS device. After I cut down the staff handle a bit, I affixed the Mag Lite holder to the staff with JB weld putty, molded it to shape and let it cure, sanded it, threw on a little paint and added a short lanyard with a snap clip for easy removal.

Last edited: