The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

The plan for today is to gather a bun ch of shopping bags of citrus and pass them around the neighborhood with or Christmas cards. It's always fun I put on a red flannel shirt and my santa hat and walk along the street as Peg drives slowly. With a load of fruit. If some one isn't home I hang the bag from the door knob and stick the card on top.

Cappy

2 days of rain have left the yard very soggy and kinda got me on standby. Today is sunny and 60 now so it should dry fast. We are down to the lst 50 or so cards to address and send out, then its time to load the back of the SUV with bags of citrus and either a pint of canned figs or a nanner nut bread and pass it out to our neighbors and friends. Our lil comunity is wonderful this time of year with wonderful smells of bbq pits and fire pits and cooking smells. I will try to get some pictures of me and Ms. Cappyclause as we do this but I think I prolly shared this with yall before. In the mean time, here is the story of the oldest known Christmas tradition in America the Christmas bon fires on the levee. The videos are long so get a favorite beverage and put them wide screen and come ride with us to and from Christmas eve mass on the river.
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/12/bonfires-on-mississippi-river-levee.html

Cappy

Death in the neighbor hood so every one is sad family coming in and we are cooking and being sportive. Every one grieves in their own way, I'v e known the man for 25 years or more and sadly he left behind 2 sons one in high school one in law school. We are gonna be as sportive as possible but in the mean time I iced down a 12 pack of 16 oz busches and am parked by the fire ;pit in the back yard. Like I said we all grieve in our own way and I am sitting out by a fire drinking beer and remembering stories.

Roybrew

Being remembered with good memories is all I could ever ask for when I am gone. Sorry to hear of the loss.

Cappy

Thanks guys I sat out by the fire till late listening to music drinking a bit too much and thinking. I feel better today and gotta try to help as I can. Their youngest is a high school kid that just got his licence I think that maybe a couple how to drive ma ole jeep may be in order later not to mention a fishing trip or 2.

Cappy

Took me dang near all day I finally got 25 grocery bags with a bakers dozen of satsuma oranges picked they get organized in groups for streets. regular neighbors get that special neighbors get naval oranges and lemons and very special get nanner nut bread and or fig preserves, pickles, lemon jelly. managed to hand one bag extra full to a special neighbor with the kids in fro the weekend

Northern Dancer

Death in the neighbor hood so every one is sad family coming in and we are cooking and being sportive. Every one grieves in their own way, I'v e known the man for 25 years or more and sadly he left behind 2 sons one in high school one in law school. We are gonna be as sportive as possible but in the mean time I iced down a 12 pack of 16 oz busches and am parked by the fire ;pit in the back yard. Like I said we all grieve in our own way and I am sitting out by a fire drinking beer and remembering stories.
---------------------------------- > :)
Without sounding corny - you are the kind of neighbour most folks would like to have near by. As happy as Christmas might be it can be a sad time too. I've learned in life the best gifts aren't always wrapped up in fancy paper.

Cappy

I try my best to share the fruits and such from our yard aint got much money so it's what I can do. I kinda look like Santa so I keep a pocket full of small candy canes and apss them out ot kids with a ho ho and a se why ya gota be good neva know where ya might see Santa.

I try to spread Christmas cheer for every one as much as I can but late Christmas night when by my self I grab a jug of cheap whisky walk outside and cry. Take a big shot hold the jug high and say this ones for you Daddy and take another big shot. Then cry some more. Ole folks say its an honor to be called to heaven on Christmas day and my father was. I try to keep that to my self and the only one to see me grieve is Peggy. Christmas aint the same since the old man passed away Christmas morning. Didn't mean to dump this on yall but thats why I kinda go overboard playing Santa and passing out our fruit. Trying to enjoy it as much as I can till that night.

Northern Dancer

I try my best to share the fruits and such from our yard aint got much money so it's what I can do. I kinda look like Santa so I keep a pocket full of small candy canes and apss them out ot kids with a ho ho and a se why ya gota be good neva know where ya might see Santa.

I try to spread Christmas cheer for every one as much as I can but late Christmas night when by my self I grab a jug of cheap whisky walk outside and cry. Take a big shot hold the jug high and say this ones for you Daddy and take another big shot. Then cry some more. Ole folks say its an honor to be called to heaven on Christmas day and my father was. I try to keep that to my self and the only one to see me grieve is Peggy. Christmas aint the same since the old man passed away Christmas morning. Didn't mean to dump this on yall but thats why I kinda go overboard playing Santa and passing out our fruit. Trying to enjoy it as much as I can till that night.
------------------------------ > :(
I can appreciate that...I lost a son.

Cappy

Thanks Roy but its sa joyful time and a holiday season so I try to keep my feelings to my self and be as joyful and friendly as I can. I was honored to find out one of the neighborhood boys has a note on his fridge reminding himself to Visit Cappy Christmas eve

Roybrew

How'd you find out about the note on your neighbors fridge? Did run out of beer and went to raid your neighbors? Just kidding, none of my business any how. Our daughters friends used to come over and raid our fridge. My neighbors probably have one on theirs to remind their kids to avoid me... ha.

Well got home from work this morning, and off for rest of year, yeehaw! Wife was going to wrap some Christmas presents while I was taking nap, but got called to go substitute at high school. Ha I got up and got a jump on her presents.
She going to hate that. Maybe make me go fishing so she can do her wrapping, wow that be awful ;)

It's great when the younger ones in neighbor come around to visit. We used to have neighbor kids come and play on tree swing even when our daughters weren't home. They grown-up now and moved off. We had a few of them stop at holloween to visit with their kids. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Roybrew

Still working on peach box project. Going to be one of wife's presents, but as slow as I am it may be next Christmas. Had to evict a critter from one of the boards
spent lots of time making table saw jigs, so make joints better but I lack experience.
. Box frame with cherry keys
going to be the top
After trimming down of course. Goin to try and make secret compartment in bottom, some how. Any how work area a mess right now. You can see canoe hanging above table saw which reminds me that I need to get it down and take it out.
Time for a beer

Cappy

You do great work Roy and I am very grateful to you for sharing it. the kids mom told me about the note on the fridge at the post funeral gathering. I was honored. It's my house folks come to for a drink I have a large selection fo store bought and home made beverages.:beer3:

Roybrew

Honestly I'm not that good at it, or I wouldn't have to fill the gaps I left behind.
Oh well practice makes better.

Um I sort of changed the subject, sorry Cappy. I am the 6th of 7 kids in my family. My parents are well and in their early eighties. I have lost some aunts, uncles and my grandparents. I dread losing any one in my family. When I go I just want good memories of me to remain with people. Sorry.

Well I am going to sleep at night like a normal person for the next 15 days or so, and let my wife, our 32 nd anniversary is the 22nd, good lord I thought she would be sick of me by now. Going to let her drag me around the whole time I am off. Maybe she'll tire of me and kick me out.... wow I'll go camping if that happens. Later.

Roybrew

Yep 3am wide awake. Just reading some coolest ways to refurbish an old canoe for winter project. Did screen shot and noticed the temp for my area in upper left corner.
13 degrees bit cool for me. I like the old wooden canoe shelf. Maybe I try to build a wooden canoe one of these days.

Cappy

LOL change the subject all ya want thats the plan and why I called it the BS thread. Peggy is much improved from her pluracy. so we are beginning to get stuff ready for the holidays.