Do you prefer to go hiking alone or to always have someone with you?

vinovampire

This was my EXACT same scenario.

I do Meetup for lots of stuff but hiking isn't one of them. I prefer to go it alone or with one or two people I like and know.
You weren't exaggerating. It sounds like you had the exact same experience! I've also had success with non-hiking related meet up groups. In my case, I found a really great group of paddlers.

Blazer

You weren't exaggerating. It sounds like you had the exact same experience! I've also had success with non-hiking related meet up groups. In my case, I found a really great group of paddlers.
I haven't had the same problems with groups of paddlers. In fact, a few years ago that was my main social activity..and it's how I got into Meetup...Kayak paddling with groups. But over the years I've started doing that alone as well as I often combine it with camping and most people I know don't camp or can't do it during the week.

The main problem I have is that the people I know like to go to the same places over and over again and go locally. As long as I'm good with that I have someone to paddle with. Today for example I'm staying home and have a friend going with me on the local river that's only a few miles from my home. But I get bored paddling on the same places over and over again. I like to travel and explore and most won't drive more than a half hour away so that tends to be solo too.

vinovampire

@Blazer This is starting to get spooky. :00: Our experiences are way too similar--I've had the same difficultly getting my friends to travel or kayak camp.

ArkansasMom

I'm kind of torn on this question. I really enjoy going with my husband. Sometimes, though, I really like going alone. I can stop and just enjoy the quietness alone. I do prefer my husband to go just for safety reasons.

Rosepetals

I like solitude and I like being in the company of other's, so I do both. But when I go by myself, I never go far. I am like you and don't have a very good sense of direction.

HardyC

I have done both but I prefer to hike with someone. I always have someone with me if the hiking trail is along falls or if the trail is steep, just as a safety precaution. Plus, it's more enjoyable to have someone to share the experience with. You never know what your going to run into when out in the wilderness.

jesseplummer

I hike alone but I take a ham radio 2 meter hand held and never take a "shortcut" to save time. I stay on the trail or trails I tell me wife I am hiking and if I see another trail, I either call her and tell her where it is or I hike it another time. I also take a selfie and send it to my wife so she will have a photo of what exactly I am wearing. Never had any issues but if I did, I would be covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Cappy

I have never enjoyed the lone wolf thing. I much prefer companionship out doors to me having some one to share an experience with makes it even better. I especially love seeing someone enjoy my world. That said I do occasionally slip off for some bank fishing or small game hunting or short jeep rides but even while doing it I miss companionship. Fraid I wouldn't fare well on one of those alone show scenarios. I would rather have some one dependant on me and ahve to work harder to feed both of us than be alone.

ppine

Forester
The greatest thing about a solo hike is you can go on short notice. Then you get to chose the pace. I have some hiking partners, but not as many as I used to have because we are all ageing. Most of the guys that are left are really fast. They are small people that used to run marathons and race bikes.

My best hiking partner Ruby Begonia has just turned three and loves to go everywhere. She has not been tired yet and is good carrying a pack. She is the perfect amount of company. She has been going on long canoe and raft trips since the age of 6 months.