Need help choosing trekking footwear

Nick22N

For my daily wear, I prefer hiking boots. They offer ankle support and make me feel good. Well, now I decided to upgrade my boots and there r soo many options.
My first question is, are Vibram soles really that amazing in traction? Majority of online reviews call it a superior sole.
The boots I thought of purchasing has something called an essensole.
Any idea what type of sole is that?
I do go on treks twice a year where a good grip on wet rocks is required. Through forests, grasslands and some inclined terrain, lots of huge boulders in the path.
Rest of the time, the terrain I walk on is paved footpath and aspalt roads in a city.
Should I go for Vibram sole( even though it costs a lot more ) or an essensole? Which one will be more durable? I am spending close to $200 so would want the soles to last for a few years.
Please advise

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's a tough question which is why I am not surprised no one has attempted an answer. Everyone has their preference. I wear Vasque boots. I have for a very long time. That's my preference. There are plenty of other good boots out there. Good luck and good hiking.

Cappy

I have a pair of timberlands that I wear prolly 300 days a year skipping Sunday mornings and rainy days I wear rubber boots. I have bad ankles, and like to lace them tight for support. The soles are wearing a lil thinner but seems are holding up well and leather still soft I hit em with some mink oil a couple years ago. Been having them for a while and I feel got ma moneys worth if I out live them I think I 'll get another pair maybe even a lil taller. I dont mind the weight I aint going far or fast enough for it to bother me. I like the suport the lace up gives me. I own 2 pair of dress shoes one black the other brown. my hikin boots, a pair of crocs for slippers or lazy days, and a pair of boots thats the total of my foot ware. Ohh and some waders but I dont count them cause they special ocasion foot ware

Grandpa

I sure can't help. I gave up leather boots for hiking years ago. I do have a pair of insulated Sorels for winter work and a pair of steel toed Red Wings when needed such as using a chainsaw.
For me, leather boots build too much heat when treking. I've never had a hiking blister since i quit the leathers.
Proper fit, proper socks, warranty and finally soles rather than specific brands are my criteria.

Roybrew

Yes it is a tough question. For daily use of beat around outside of house, bank fishing or camping I have a pair of good lace up leather boots. I gave close to 200 for them, and have had them resoled once (I purchased them because they were all leather, comfortable and could be resoled). I wouldn't do any rough hiking in them. For hiking I would stay away from the leather and get a synthetic material. Most your big brand hiking shoes are probably made out of same stuff, and I bet some brands are made in same factory just different name. I don't know much about those special soles. They may offer an advantage for extreme rugged terrain, but may wear out quickly or fall apart after 9 months or a year. Like some off road tires I see on some 4X4's they offer great traction, but you will be replacing the more frequently because they wear out quicker. I wish you the best. I hate buying shoes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bojib

When I was recently faced with this dilemma I wound up finding a good shoe store with knowledgeable sales staff. At the time I lived two hours away from the store, so it was a bit of an aggravation, but it wound up being well worth the trip.

I have a big wide foot, so buying shoes isn't easy for me either. Also having a truly knowledgeable sales person made it much easier to pick a shoe that actually fit me like it was supposed to. I've experienced less sore feet and no blisters on my hiking trips since getting the correct shoes, and switching sock types made a big difference as well (to a good wool type sock).

The salesman did start off measuring my foot and then getting several different brands to try. Then they actually had me wear them around for a few minutes, not just stand up, actually walk around the store. Then they had me get on an inclined ramp and walk up and down it to see how the heel would slide while going up, and how far my feet slid forward in them when descending, don't want your toe hitting the front of the shoe. We even talked about different lacing methods to help hold my foot in place on the decline, and it's worked like a charm.

For me I wound up with a set of Keen's. They have a wider toe box area, and that is were my foot is the widest at and the most troublesome spot for all other shoes. I was also able to adjust the laces in a way to keep my foot from sliding around in the shoe causing hot spots and blisters.

The really hard part was finding someone that actually was able to help and didn't get frustrated with me when I had to try on more than a couple pairs.

Soggy

I wear Salamons for summer and winter. They have a variety of styles. Hit REI and check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk