Non-camping use for gear

Bojib

Anyone else break out their camping gear for regular use around the house?

Right now we live in an apartment building with a nice forested area near a creek. Pretty often my wife will take her camping hammock and set it up near the creek just to lay back and relax a bit. I'm always packing a camp chair (rocker) down to sit by the creek and read. On a nice night I've even set up my cot to lay and watch the sky for a while, maybe even take a nap before going to bed. Even been known to break out the camp stove and cook a meal up in the little forested area.

I guess its a way to get a break when I can't get away to take a break.

Anyone else ever do something similar, or do you just keep the camping gear put up for camping only.

Grandpa

My pocket rocket gets a lot of home use. Defrosting freezers, whipping ends of poly rope and anything else needing a little extra warm-up. That's when I use up those partial fuel canisters.

Bojib

Not a bad idea for defrosting the freezer, never thought of that one. Will have to keep that in mind.

Cappy

The line between our camping gear and regular gear is very blurry. We are camper type camping folk with a 18 ft trailer. Down in Cajun country we play out side lots. Stuff like small BBQ, out door stove, folding chairs, tarps tables, Gets used lots. Stuff like hatchets, knives and my bow saw get used alot as well and I always know where to find them..... stored in the camper or jeep. Stuff like skeeter gear lighter fluid batteries and such always get used from the camper first. New ones get put there to insure rotation. This goes for food stuff as well. As some of yall know I do lots of camping like stiff in my back yard. So the line is blurred and I feel its the best way to keep your gear fresh and familiar is to use it.

bibsoutdoors

In the back of the book "The Ultimate Hang" he gives us plans to make a free standing hammock stand that will support one to three hammocks. I've made this and put it in the backyard, a you say, "to get away, when you can't get away." I really like being able to enjoy a morning, afternoon and even just staying out for the night. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

bibsoutdoors

In the back of the book "The Ultimate Hang" he gives us plans to make a free standing hammock stand that will support one to three hammocks. I've made this and put it in the backyard, a you say, "to get away, when you can't get away." I really like being able to enjoy a morning, afternoon and even just staying out for the night. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

bibsoutdoors

@Cappy, comfort, this just says comfort! I think I can hear it calling for someone to take a nap. Nice. I hear these can take you for a ride if you aren't careful! Cheers

Bibsoutdoors

Cappy

Just like anything else man just takes a lil practice. You can tell from the ripening lemons and nanner fronds we from 2 different pales.

Sean95

Some camping gear like lights and tarps double as hunting gear. Other camping gear such as stoves, lights, and the solar generator come into play during power outages.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Beats me. I'm single so my house is just a staging area to stow my gear, clean it and make repairs. Most of the time my SUV is loaded with enough gear to camp at a moment's notice.

Cappy

Your suv sounds like my jeep chock a block full a stuff I take camping. part of going camping is packing the every day stuff my 2 burner propane stove lives on a table on the patio that is a poor boy out door kitchen. I disconnect it and throw it in the camper when we set out.

Grandpa

It would be nice to have a designated camping vehicle. Ours are all designated multi-use, so our gear is all in totes ready to throw and go.

Cappy

LOL our camper aint even A DEDICATED Camping vehicle It doubles as a guest house!
Our son Joe is coming down for a week visit so he will be staying in the camper He would be welcome to stay in da house but the dogs love sleeping and playing with guests at night so most folks that visit prefer the camper and some times we give them our bed room and we sleep in the camper

MacGyver

My lighting system works great on the deck, the tarps are great when I have some people over for an outdoor party and my Pelican Storm cases beat anything I've ever used in those rare instances that I fly somewhere.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Hi! MacG...
The tent battery (35 AH sealed lead acid with attached inverter) serves to power the computer UPS in the off season and to power the living room lights in power failures (very rare any more). Since I have an electric stove the Coleman 2 burner also gets used occasionally, during power failures.

Grandpa

Backpacking got me addicted to merino wool socks. That has carried over now into "civilian" use as well. I now wear wool socks all the time. Dress up or grubby, if socks are on my feet they are wool.

As a kid growing up, cast iron cookware was standard. The dutch ovens were standard cook gear on those elk hunts and long campouts. When I married grandma, a new dutch oven was a top priority. It took her a while to adjust, but slowly, she now does all her cooking with black iron. Of course, I still have to be the cleaner upper, but as long as she keeps cooking those great meals and takes care of the rest of the dishes, I get off easy by just cleaning the cast.

ppine

Forester
I have a campsite in my back yard. I use headlamps around the house and the yard all the time. I cook on a camp stove fairly often. I use sleeping bags on cold nights in the house. I live the way I camp and vice versa.

MacGyver

No idea what the problem is, but I am currently sitting in a dark and quiet house, except for the light of my monitor and the hum of the fan on an inverter - the same setup I take for running the projector for Cinema in the Woods.