Pallet Wacking

jason

fear no beer
Looks like fun. A burn ban going on here as it has been so dry and there have been a few wild fires.

jason

fear no beer
I saw that on the news and thought about ya Jason is the area subject to fires or is this unusual??
I cannot recall this many fires in such a short time before. The local park I like to go to, as no one really goes to the north entrance, was shut down because of a fire there. They just came out said they think it was man made, although it could have been something as simple as a cigarette butt.

We just had a few more fires earlier this week. They caught three underage kids in the area right after the fires started. That is about all that has been said about those though.

In some other areas they are saying some of the dried up lake beds are smoldering.

So it seems like some of these fires are man made. Either accident or intentional.

jason

fear no beer
I did not realize yall were that dry over there
Yeah, we had another two fires over the weekend, one being in the same park that I like to visit.

But we did get some good rain this morning. And they are saying rain again Friday. But then back to dry I think.

Cappy

We have been having the average rain fall so far and this time of the year the water table rises drastically being this close to the river. With the river rising from melt water Being only a mile or so away, the water table is on the rise.

Grandpa

We got back to back sunny days. But some light showers today. We shouldn't get more than one more snow storm before summer, but we never know for sure.

Cappy

posed to rain tomorrow night then the last breath of spring 70's and that will be the last we see of them till october

Roybrew

We had cold front move through bringing temperature down a little, it may hit lower 70's today. Dad and I going to go out for a few hours this morning, and see if we can catch some crappie. Like Dad always says, going to drown some minnows.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Getting back to pallet wacking, I used to do this back in the early nineties. There was a place about a third of a mile from my house where I could get them free; oak pallets. I used to load my pickup bed with them and take them back to the house where I would put the circular saw to them. I had a large wood stove in the house and before I managed to build a good woodshed and a woodpile, those pallets helped cut my heating bill down so low that the gas company came out to see why I used so little fuel. There's nothing wrong with pallet wacking.

Cappy

My pile is getting down to 2 or 3 fires worth of course the oak tree my neighbor took down helps. I got a few pieces of hard green oak they make great back logs for the pallet wood. These are oak too for the most part. I have a yankee friend that warmed his house for years with them like you did. My free sourse is slowing down but I can usually get 4 or 5 at a time das about all I can get in the back of the suv. its less than a quarter mile away. I am planning in my mind to make a compost bin out of them if I do I'll write a post about it in the mean time they will keep me in back yard fire wood till the river goes down this summer then its drift wood time.:beer3:

jason

fear no beer
Back to subject, I use pallets in my old fire pit at a previous house. I haven't been here long enough to use them. But if you can fit four of them in the pit around, and about 10 high, they produce some heat. My buddy had a phone in his pocket that melted a little. I think we went through 80 something pallets that night. Do not recommend it, booze may have been involved. My new house does not have a fire pit that big.

I have plenty of oak trees to take down if you want. I can load up a pickup truck easily. I have not been able to try and make charcoal with this fire ban. I am overloaded with wood. I also have some pallets from a roofing company. I'm using it as extra storage for my oak logs.