Should Grizzly Bears Be Reintroduced in Colorado?

Jay_The_Man

This article brought up an issue that needs some feedback.

There's been a lot of rumors going around lately and some people have even said wolves have already been planted in Colorado, Utah, and California over the past couple years.

Now there's talk of grizzlies returning. Has anyone else heard this?

Grandpa

The northern gray wolves either migrated or were planted into Utah more than 15 years ago, both in the Promontory range and the High Uintas. It would be foolish to not believe that have migrated into Colorado long ago.

As the Yellowstone wolves have decimated the ungulates in Yellowstone, the grizzly have been migrating in all directions. I'm sure they haven't made it to Colorado yet because their migration has been mostly easy and west. Last year, a young man mistook a grizz for a cinnamon black near elk city in western Idaho. He immediately reported it and they did not prosecute because that grizz was 200 miles from home.

Jay_The_Man

The northern gray wolves either migrated or were planted into Utah more than 15 years ago, both in the Promontory range and the High Uintas. It would be foolish to not believe that have migrated into Colorado long ago.

As the Yellowstone wolves have decimated the ungulates in Yellowstone, the grizzly have been migrating in all directions. I'm sure they haven't made it to Colorado yet because their migration has been mostly easy and west. Last year, a young man mistook a grizz for a cinnamon black near elk city in western Idaho. He immediately reported it and they did not prosecute because that grizz was 200 miles from home.
Very interesting information! The High Uintas seem like an area remote enough and with good enough habitat for grizzilies to move into undetected. But would that stretch of I-80 south of the Wind River Range be difficult for grizzlies to cross? It seems so barren, almost like a desert.

Grandpa

Very interesting information! The High Uintas seem like an area remote enough and with good enough habitat for grizzilies to move into undetected. But would that stretch of I-80 south of the Wind River Range be difficult for grizzlies to cross? It seems so barren, almost like a desert.
Yes, that is why I don't think the grizz have moved south. The Wind River, Wyoming, and Salt River ranges are as far as they'll go without help. It would be a long journey to come down the caribou range to the wasatch, then easy through the Uintas into Colorado. I know the Fed's have been moving blacks around and don't seem to care about human traffic where they relocate the bears. They may be relocating grizzly as well.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't much care about the habitat for grizzly bears. They are extremely large, when they stand up they are about ten feet tall. They will kill you, eat you, and then go looking for their next meal. I don't like them and I don't want them around me. If I see one, I will kill it, gut it and skin it. I will then butcher it and barbeque it feeding a large number of people. Properly cooked they are quite tasty.
I realize there are some who will think this missive a travesty. I don't care about that either. You can call it a majestic creature. You can say it should be saved for posterity. To me the only reason it should be saved is so someone will have the thrill of hunting it, killing it and enjoying its' flesh; which basically is the same it would do for you.

Cappy

Critters come and go its part of God's plan aint no griz in Colorado cause there are too many people. People go all tree hugin wimpy and say we need griz in Colorado so they trank a few bring them there release them and freak when they go for easy pray tree huging wimps trying to feed em or something. Hate me if ya wanna but its true happened before and made pretty good movies. Livin with griz dont work except in fantasy.

ppine

Forester
Grizz are about to be delisted from the Threatened and Endangered List. They are going from protection to management. They travel great distances and fill up the habitat. Colorado has plenty of room for them. I have been in places like the Wimenuche Wilderness in the San Juan Mountains. Washinton now has a grizz population in the North Cascades There are wolves in Nevada.

It changes the character of the landscape when you know there are grizz about. I have backpacked in Alaska with them and in Wyoming with pack horses. People get used to them after awhile.