Spring back yard BBQ

Grandpa

Grandma and I took a drive today. I wanted to see the High water coming over Mesa Falls. It was an awesome spectacle. We then drove in the west gate at Yellostone and out the south gate. Speaking of bbq's, saw a couple pulled over using the snowbank for a bench for their Coleman stove. The rotary cut bank was a little high, 4 feet, but seemed to be working well for them. Further on, there were still rotary cuts over 10 feet high. Ahhh, springtime in the Rockies.

dinosaur

troublemaker
We don't go in da shade much up Nawth this time of year because the ticks fall out of the trees and land on you. But June's coming up when you walk through the high grass and the chiggers bite. Then comes July when the mosquitoes are so thick that you can't take a walk in the woods. Then we have August and "dog days" hot. Of course that's followed by Labor Day and the bad weather starts up again. October is usually really nice but short lived. Then November rolls around and it gets cold and rainy and pure crap follows it into December and January. February is the coldest month of the year but it is followed by March when the tornadoes hit and then comes April and all that rain.

And I am out in the middle of all of this deluge of crap loving every minute of it. I am a living breathing example of crazy person who loves all of these minor annoyances that allow me to enjoy nature at its' best. You can fight all of these little things that make nature a pestilence. It really isn't very hard. You dress right, wear the right stuff including sprays and insect repellants.

Next month I'm going bowfrogging. This is a sport invented by me and a friend of mine where you shoot the frogs with a bow and then reel them in with a rig originally designed for bowfishing. Of course this requires special bows and arrows with an attached line but we manage to take thirty or so a night and that means froglegs on the grill. It's a sport that requires a good eye and a steady hand for those frogs you can see and can't get close enough to gig. You need a lot of mosquito dope and a boat you can "skull" around to get close enough to take a shot. It's great fun even when you miss. It's hunting.

And the result is a backyard barbeque at its' best.

Cappy

I don't check the regulations very often but last time I did ya could not break the skin of a frog while hunting em. has to do with wounding them and them getting sore and infecting others. We also have a season on em ya cant hunt em in april and may during romantic froggy season.
The only other tid bit I can give ya frog arms are just as good as frog legs. We clean em like ya would a squirrel fry or q the legs and make black iron dishes with te rest.

dinosaur

troublemaker
In Indiana, you can't take frogs from May 1st thru June 14th. The rest of the year is wide open and you can use gigs and spears and bows and just about anything else you can think of. I imagine you can use nets, traps, dogs, trained snakes or golf clubs. And the regs only apply to bull and green frogs. We get some big leopard frogs you can take twelve months a year. Yummy stuff.

jason

fear no beer
Ok, lots to process in this thread, and I'm tired. Forgive me.

Is that Royal Oak charcoal? I get their lump when it is on sale. More expensive then others but less ash.

What type of tip do you have on the arrow for the frogs? I would guess I'm not the only one who finds the attached picture interesting and would try it. I do have a crossbow and some frogs around.

Attachments

Cappy

been using royal oak since i was a kid burns hot and clean and long and ya dont wind up with a pit full of sand.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I custom make my bowfrogging tips using target tips. I drill a hole through them near the base and solder in a wire piece, then bend the ends down for short barbs. If you can't go to this trouble, the bowfishing tip called the Wee Stinger will work. Just bend the barbs down to a more severe angle. Also, you'll want a very light bow. I custom made the ones we use but you can substitute a good youth long bow. If you get too heavy a draw it will blow the arrow all the way through the frog and make retrieval very difficult.