How big is your tent?

ppine

Forester
For a group, or a family I like multiple smaller tents. One big tent is good for a gathering place, but I don't want to sleep with 5 other people. Lately on our week long canoe trips we have had men only. We each bring our own tent. Each person sleeps where they want and has some down time each day. I have slept with my brother in the past for a week and we get testy at some point being so close together for a week or more.

leejen

Hello!
My first post... I have a Camp Valley 8 person instant tent from Sam's Club. It's 14'x9'x6' 4" with an optional cloth room divider. There is just me and I use the whole space. I've discovered a new term, GLAMPING. This tent fits the bill even though it's new and not kitschy. They recommend two people to set it up but if you go slow, you can do it by yourself.

NatureGal

It is pretty large or at least medium-sized. My boyfriend and I bought a big tent because we like to go camping with a group of friends. It can fit about 4-6 people inside.

Sean95

My husband is 6'4 and he will not buy a tent he. can't stand up in. So needless to say our tents are always big and costly. But we are a family of five, plus a dog so we do kind of need the room.
We family camp with 4 plus a dog and occasionally an extra kid. We use a four season Cabela's tent (XPG I think). It's advertised as an eight person tent, so at 4 + dog or 5 + dog we still have a some extra room. I'm not that tall; but there is some extra clearance when I stand. We've been happy with it.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I try to choose the tent based on the length of my stay;
A 9'x9' eureka dome... for quickie weekenders, or overnights on/off the road,
A 10' x10' Canopy with a 10x10 (really, closer to 9x9) "Standing room tent, for most trips,
or a 12'x12' Cabela's Alaknak for stays longer than a week.
I really appreciate the ability to stand up and stretch in the tent.
The bigger the tent the more work to set it up and break it down, however...

opquail

I have the Coleman 12 person tent. I like it its nice and roomy with lots of standing room. It even has a porch in the front.

Cappy

Never was the kind of guy who wanted 3 or 4 tents for different reasons. I used one tent for many years and now our daughter has it and still uses it. It was a 10x10 dome tent tall enough to stand in. Set up very easily only 2 poles and packed good too. I used it for years camping out of my pick up. Now that I think about it I guess thas my way of life. find ole middle of the road thing stead of a bunch of specialized things.

Roybrew

I can understand having several tents for different occasions. It's like being a mechanic with only one kind of tool. I like a tent I can stand up in, cause it's rough rolling around in a little ole pup tent trying to get dressed. Been a few times I've gotten my suspenders wedged somewhere they didnt need to be.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
...tents and a few other things last long enough that they can become obsolete or get too small for changing needs.
For me , at least, this leads to redefining their application while always looking for something that better fits those changing needs.
Started with a small dome; it got run over and destroyed (no one inside). Got a 9x9 dome that I could stand up in (wore it out, literally the material started to fall apart from UV exposure). Got another; needed more room...
Went too big with the 12 x12... tried giving it to relatives but none are true campers...
Found the canopy tent which reduced setup time, compared to the 12x12 at the expense of room while providing, very nice, vertical stretch room...
Since I typically do not throw anything good away, I store good unneeded items; increasing the range of future near optimum choices... Its worth the storage room to me for the range of choices...

25 Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg

MacGyver

Since I typically do not throw anything good away, I store good unneeded items; increasing the range of future near optimum choices... Its worth the storage room to me for the range of choices...
That's exactly why I still have six tents and a hammock sleep system. The only two I really use are the Kodiak 10x10 and the 6x8.5. The rest sit in an enclosed cabinet, all in either mint or near mint condition. I just know that as soon as I sell one of 'em, a trip will come up that will somehow make me sorry I let one go.

SharBear

Since my children have left the nest, we camp in a truck bed tent. It sleeps 2 and allows you to stop and camp just about anywhere. It keeps you off the ground and makes me feel safer that a traditional tent.

Roybrew

My wife wants to go camping, but she doesn't want to go in a tent. Maybe I need to check on a pop up. They're about like a tent with all the canvas and stuff anyhow. I think.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
My wife wants to go camping, but she doesn't want to go in a tent. Maybe I need to check on a pop up. They're about like a tent with all the canvas and stuff anyhow. I think.
I have several friends with pop ups, they are good to camp in, as long as you have a small amount of practice driving with trailers, and can drive to the camping spot.
They are great to assuage creepy/crawly fears...

Set up /breakdown time is roughly the same as one of my larger tents; 45 minutes to an hour or so (depends on the quality & amount of help you get from others).

In stock form they are not good off road and even when modified for off road use they can severely limit where you get to for camping.

MacGyver

If you don't want the expense and maintenance of a popup, maybe try talking her into glamping. There are all kinds of sites to check out, with huge bell tents laid out with amenities that make a tent look more like a bedroom than a canvas box. Of course, that would also mean having a truck big enough to haul all the stuff, so maybe you'd be into some sort of trailer anyway. But a utility trailer would probably be better off road than a popup.

Terasec

I have multiple tents, sleep systems,
tarp with not tent, hammock,
1 person tent, 2 person tent 4 person tent, and my 6 person condo
tent that gets the most use is my 2 person tent,
hiking solo no tent , either just a tarp or tarp/hammock,
when camping near the car its my 2 person tent,
when kids involved either 2 person tents or 4 person tent for the kids
stopped using 6 person tent long ago, not worth the hassle
if I had to make do with just 1 tent I would stick to 2 person tents