Trivia 7/18/07

Grandpa

If the card says a stream, I'll laugh hysterically. I know a stream in the Frank Church, once you start down you aren't coming back up. And to get some place going down, you'll need a couple of hundred feet of rope and be able to ride a log 200 miles through the River of no Return.

jason

fear no beer
If the card says a stream, I'll laugh hysterically. I know a stream in the Frank Church, once you start down you aren't coming back up. And to get some place going down, you'll need a couple of hundred feet of rope and be able to ride a log 200 miles through the River of no Return.
Now would that be the rule or the exception?

Cappy

Down here following water works ya just gotta remember how far south ya are. also if ya crossed water on ya trail. follow it down ya may not cross a town and wind up in the brackish marsh in that case ya should follow it up. unlike survival shows water here dont lead to a sandy beach it goes to a brackish marsh. ya better off following a fence row or right of way if ya can find it.

oldsarge

Gee...I guess that depends on where you're at now doesn't it? I was always told to follow a stream down until you find civilization. Doesn't do much good if you're in the desert. Unless you're on the show "Dude you're screwed" where you get dropped off totally blind and left to find your way, I would think you would have some idea of where you're at at the start of it all and apply some good knowledge in finding direction to get you back to safety. Then use Dinosaurs advice.

Grandpa

Okay, the rule is STOP; Stop....Think....Observe....Plan. If you are lost, don't follow anything, stay put so you can be found. If you do know where you are you aren't lost. Then you can work your way to civilization. Maybe there are places where you can reach civilization, but out here in the west, sometimes civilization is only reachable in one direction, any other safe direction is beyond reach.

Roybrew

I have read some accounts of people hiking in the mountains that border Tennessee and North Carolina or Virginia, that have succumbed to death from hypothermia. Accounts have stated that they wandered off the trail and we're lost. I read a book written by a tracker that said when they would wonder off the trail, and sometimes not very far, they would get disoriented because every thing looks the same, and the foliage to thick to find a small trail. The lost person would go in a direction they think correct, and would go further from the trail and make situation worse. After a couple of days of being damp, hungry, and lack of shelter a person can easily start to get hypothermia. When ever my wife or I have stepped off the trail for a little privacy, the other would stay put on the trail and the one that was off the trail did not wander to far.

If you lose track of the trail STOP as grandpa said. Carry a whistle. It's easy to lose the trail. Just because you can see civilization doesn't mean you can physically make it either.

Grandpa

Not to beat a dead horse but the Big Lost River in central Idaho suddenly disappears into a hole in the ground. This hole is out in the middle of the Snake River desert. A bad place to end up on foot. The same goes for the Little Lost. The Popo. Agie in Wyoming also disappears but re emerges a mile or so down canyon.

Cappy

If there is one thing I have lerned is that I aint a real survialist type. My hunting camping fishing in strange country has always required a topo map and study of the country fore setting out. I never venture out with out at least 2 borders these can be road fence pipe line or water. Lets change pipe line to right of way which can be anything traveling cross country. All my life I have headed into strange country to hunt, fish, camp with that in mind after setting up base camp I explore the same way. With a small pocket compas I head out from a road in a general direction knowing a perpendiculr other thing is not far away. I walk along unconcerned till I am done then head backin the general direction of my starting place . IfI ahd been moving alot I would head back at a angle twords my secondary trail
figuring to hit one or the other.

I am spoiled I dont live in the big country you guys do. Even the big woods down here is laced with unimproved roads bayous and right of ways. I never really had to learn real orientiering. Even with no roads with in 10 miles in any direction there are still lots of right of ways and water to go by. In a dude ya screwed I probally would be ..........