What's The Most Awesome Thing You've Seen

dinosaur

troublemaker
Hmmm...most awesome thing I've ever seen. I've been to a lot of places in my life. And, I've seen many of the things listed in this string. I've seen awesome things in the city and many in the wilderness. But there was this one girl.........

oldsarge

Hmmm...most awesome thing I've ever seen. I've been to a lot of places in my life. And, I've seen many of the things listed in this string. I've seen awesome things in the city and many in the wilderness. But there was this one girl.........
Please continue......

Northern Dancer

...what was awesome to me? The first time I saw a satellite shooting across a black sky filled with stars. The first black bear that came into my camp. "foxfire", laying on a warm rock heated by the daytime sun staring up into the sky watching the Hale Bopp comet. Looking directly into a crackling fire and feeling all mushy and warm, watching the sunrise and the sunset, tasting a snow flake as it fall out of the sky and landed on my tongue, the first time I saw Niagara Falls.........

What a Wonderful World [by Louis Armstrong]
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
The colours of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really......

You know it - go ahead - sing the rest of it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I stopped off at a place where a channel between two lakes had yielded some interesting catches and some frog legs. It was mid-May and I was checking the area thoroughly for possibilities. I finished my foray and was leaving when I heard something in the bush; a little stomping and some breath.

I stopped and looked around, thought I saw some movement in the thick undergrowth. I reached for my pistol just in case.

Didn't see anything so I started to walk away. Something stopped me and I looked back on the ground. Curled up in a little ball was a newborn fawn Whitetail deer. I looked straight down at it. It opened its' eyes and looked at me; Bambi eyes, huge. Then it closed them and went back to sleep.

By that time the noise from the brush was quite noticeable. Mama was very close. I looked down at the fawn one last time and said: "Welcome to the world little fella. Maybe I'll see you next Fall."

Then I walked away.

Northern Dancer

...wow - that's the kind of circumstance that chokes you up. Everywhere, all around us are miracles - things that move the inner spirit.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm 67. Daddy took me into the woods when I was very very young. I've seen more than most. This was just something that stuck out.

I remember a time when I was camp-fishing with my Dad and a buddy of mine. There was a terrible rain storm that washed out our fishing for the day but as I was walking back to camp after beaching the canoe and securing the gear, I looked down into a spillway between the two lakes we were fishing. The water was clear and I could see Bluegill, very large Bluegill, swimming in the water looking for whatever was washing down.

I told my buddy I was going to fish a while and he should tell my Dad to start cleaning the fish we had. I began pulling these Bluegill out at a rapid pace. My buddy ran up and down the hill to our camp as fast as he could manage, collecting my catch while my Dad cleaned them.

In the middle of all of this frenzy a raccoon popped up on the opposite side of the spillway and saw what was transpiring. He walked across the spillway on a downed tree and stared at me. He was maybe twenty feet away. I said: "Want one of these fish?" Then I caught another one. I pulled it out and took it off the hook. I looked at the coon. He showed great interest so I flipped it to him. It landed only about a foot in front of him. He picked it up and walked away without so much as a Fare Thee Well. I said: "You're welcome!" But I was thinking something else. Coons are cute but never trust them.

Northern Dancer

...great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm still learning and trying to improve my stuff. I rate at the high end of the scale for canoeing/camping. Unfortunately I'm at a 0 for hunting and fishing; much to the annoyance and disgust of my older brother. Though, I can clean and cook up a storm when it comes to his catch. So...maybe...I can get a few brownie points for that...possibly?

Cappy

Spending 35 years working on the water and time off road tripping and base camping the country I have seen some amazing sights. I feel truly blessed. But there is for me one special sight. Christmas morning right about the time Daddy died a few years later I was heading west as the sun came up something made me look behind me and this is what I saw no photo shop the actual image.
christmas morn 2.jpg
It mooved me to tears.

ppine

Forester
Nature has a way of showing us serious beauty. Sometimes it is right in front of us and we don't see it. We have wild horses at our back fence, and eagles on the property, but the bald eagles only show for calving season.

Seeing wildlife really is exciting. Some of my best widlife viewing lately has been on river trips. We don't make any noise and glide past some great habitats. In a place like northern CA or eastern OR it is easy to see 15 eagles in a day. Someone mentioned otters. They are really fun to watch. Two years ago an otter and mink surface together right next to my right oar. They took a good look at the boat and disappeared.

Northern Dancer

...sometimes in my naivety I fail to remember others look with awe at the same moon and the same sun that I do. There is only one of each and it is shared by all.

ppine

Forester
A Navy Blue angel flew low and slow over our campfire on February trip on the lower Colorado River. We waved and he rocked his wings.

Two years ago on the Willamette River in Oregon one fine Sunday morning we heard this loud roar coming up the river. It was a small float plane going about 50 miles an hour still in contact with the water.

ppine

Forester
The Grand Canyon.
Ran it with a commercial outfit in 2002 with a group of friends. It is the trip of a lifetime traveling 286 miles from Lee's Ferry to Pearce Ferry. Slot World is not like anywhere else. Many people weep when they leave.